This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hardy Heron

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
I partitioned half of my hard drive in hopes of using this version in the future, and now Hardy Heron has come. However, I have an Ati Radeon HD2600 XT.

Is it worth it to try and run Linux with such an atrocity of a graphics card? (It barely works on my computer with XP)

Comments

• Have you installed the drivers for it through the restricted drivers manager? What is necessarily wrong with the card?
    Before coming to the forums I was having a quiet seethe about ATI cards. This open source driver template thing they're doing can't come soon enough.
  • edited April 2008
    You know you can intall ubuntu without making a partition?

Also you can easily order A live CD from the ubuntu website.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • you know you canintall ubuntuwithout making a partition?

Also you can easilyorderAlive CDfrom theubuntu website.
    I partitioned it 6 months ago when I got it before Hardy Heron came out. I also already have a Live CD, but it isn't version 8.

Thanks for the link though, I will try that out.
  • It failed after the "configuring hardware" step in the installation.

A screen came up saying something about Serial Bus failure, but it only stayed up about 3 seconds before going back to BIOS. No idea what happened.
  • ATi has recently open sourced much, if not all, of the stuff for their drivers. Their drivers are actually more open source than NVidia's drivers are. Ubuntu should just take care of it with the restricted drivers manager. It's as easy as clicking a checkbox.
  • re actually more open source than NVidia's drivers are. Ubuntu should just take care of it with the restricted drivers manager. It's as easy as clicking a checkbox.
    Ok, I'll go download the new drivers if that is the case. Perhaps it wasn't my graphics card then. If the error occurs again, I'll make sure to write it down and tell you.
  • Thanks, that apparently worked.

Posting in Ubuntu =).