This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows XP SP3

edited April 2008 in Technology
Just an FYI for everyone using Windows XP still: Windows XP Service Pack 3 is avaliable for download. The English version can be had here, and some other languages are linked from this Ars Technica article.

Comments

• I just wait for Windows Update. Easier that way.
  • SP3 automatically turns on your Windows Firewall, whether you tell it to or not. I'll be waiting as long as possible, and when the time comes, I'll just do this.
  • Turning off Windows Firewall is trivial if you have any knowledge of Windows.
  • Bugger me sideways. Why did they have to go and do that? Now I'm going to be spending the next couple months walking end-users through turning that POS firewall back off once their workstations auto-update. Gorram Microsoft. *grumble**grumble*
  • edited May 2008
    Has anyone had the rumoured AMD processor, repeated reboot problem? I'm running XP in a Sempron and can't bothered with the hassle of updating until I can be sure I will be able to use my computer afterwards.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited May 2008
    SP3 is working fine for me, on both my machines. Edit: one is an Athlon.
    Post edited by Paulathon on
  • It's working fine for me on an AM2 X2 3800. I don't see much of a difference though.
  • It works fine for me in VMWare, but that isn't saying much.
  • edited May 2008
    Ok, there isn't much I need to do in windows other than gaming, here goes..
  • Ok, there isn't much I need to do in windows other than gaming, here goes..
    Backup your data, you can always reinstall.
  • edited May 2008
    Fortunately, all important data is on Ubuntu and backed up.
    Update: White dust/smoke just came out the laptop fan vent. This does not bode well but at least I know it couldn't be related to SP3. Installed, ok restarting.

Worked. Bad points: Broke the activation crack I was using (will have to find a new one some time in the week.), custom window theme is also gone, odd.
  • edited May 2008
    As rediculous as it may seem, especially coming from me, PAY FOR YOUR DAMNED SOFTWARE!!! Yeah, I understand the whole open source, free as in beer, information wants to be free shit, but if you are going to use an opperating system that they charge for, either don't whine about your crack not working when you update it, or pay for it. I don't bitch about DS games being shitty, but then again, DS games tend to also not be worth the $30 they want to charge for them. And, if you have actually bought 3 DS games for $30 each, you have no right to complain about dropping $100 bucks for Windows XP.

Oh, and updating to SP3 now.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • edited May 2008
    WallyBman, don't pay for your software. Either way, I don't really care. If you really think it is that important that people pay for software, buy me a copy of XP and whisper me the key.
  • WallyBman, don't pay for your software. Either way, I don't really care. If you really think it is that important that people pay for software, buy me a copy of XP and whisper me the key.
    That is the most retarded argument for software pirating I've ever heard.
  • WallyBman, don't pay for your software. Either way, I don't really care. If you really think it is that important that people pay for software, buy me a copy of XP and whisper me the key.
    I pay for the software that is worth it to me. OEM copies of XP, marked down PC games, marked down 360 games, and the rare DS or Wii game. If someone wants $30 for a game that should be a free Flash game, I won't buy it. But an opperating system is a fuck-ton of code that people who do that shit for a living had to write. You may not like Microsoft, but if you don't play PC games, use Ubuntu, or shut your pirate hole.
  • edited May 2008
    You are obviously not bothering to listen and I still don't care. So just send me he key or stop bitching.
    O.k. chilled out. Peaceful solution time. I am currently in the position of the penniless student/slacker. I have limited resources and buying a replacement copy of XP is £80. For me, almost two days work for no improvement. If you don't like that then please berate me all you want. I've tried to be nice now but I doubt you'll understand.
  • Gah, I mourn the death of an opportunity for an entertaining flamewar.
  • Gah, I mourn the death of an opportunity for an entertaining flamewar.
    I thought it was still pretty entertaining.
  • edited May 2008
    Do you have access to an older system? One with an actual legal XP on it? What are you using XP for? Would Ubuntu do what you need to do? And screw spending that much for a copy of XP, look on eBay.com, not eBay.co.uk, but eBay.com. Even having it shipped over there, it would still cost only half as much as they want you to pay. I can't imagine you needing any special Windows components to opperate outside of the U.S., otherwise, anyone who does business travel overseas would be fucked using a laptop.

And it isn't like you have to actually tell Microsoft where you are.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • Would Ubuntu do what youneedto do?
    Clearly not, how can one not game?
    Personally, I can be satisfied all-round on the OS issue; I got Vista legally for free (and could still get XP in the same way).
  • edited May 2008
    Wally, have you ever downloaded music?
    I pay for the music that is worth it to me. Socond hand copies of albums, marked down singles, marked down concert dvds, and the rare poster or piece of merchandise. If someone wants $20 for a single that should be a free promo, I won't buy it. But an album is a fuck-ton of songs that people who do that shit all for a living had to write. You may not like the RIAA, but if you don't listen to Britney Spears, listen to the radio, or shut your pirate hole.
  • edited May 2008
    Wally, have you ever downloaded music?
    I pay for the music that is worth it to me. Socond hand copies of albums, marked down singles, marked down concert dvds, and the rare poster or piece of merchandise. If someone wants $20 for a single that should be a free promo, I won't buy it. But an album is a fuck-ton of songs that people who do that shit all for a living had to write. You may not like the RIAA, but if you don't listen to Britney Spears, listen to the radio, or shut your pirate hole.
    If you don't like the business model, don't buy it. But if you somehow feel entitled to the media and you download it, you are stealing.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Do you have access to an older system? One with an actual legal XP on it? What are you using XP for? Would Ubuntu do what youneedto do? And screw spending that much for a copy of XP, look on eBay.com, not eBay.co.uk, but eBay.com. Even having it shipped over there, it would still cost only half as much as they want you to pay. I can't imagine you needing any special Windows components to opperate outside of the U.S., otherwise, anyone who does business travel overseas would be fucked using a laptop.

And it isn't like you have to actually tell Microsoft where you are.
    Doing that is so not worth it. ^^
  • Wally, have you ever downloaded music?
    If you don't like the business model, don't buy it. But if you somehow feel entitled to the media and you download it, you are stealing.
    The term is copyright infringement, not stealing.
  • The term is copyright infringement, not stealing.
    You are still stealing. You can call it whatever you like but the principle is still the same.
  • edited May 2008
    The term is copyright infringement, not stealing.
    You are still stealing. You can call it whatever you like but the principle is still the same.
    Who is exactly being deprived? Mr High-and-mighty.
  • Who is exactly being deprived? Mr High-and-mighty.
    Umm, the people who make it? Sorry, but I'm going into the software business and I wanna make some fucking money. This shit just doesn't poof into existence.
  • Well, people using software and buying software are not [opposite of mutually exclusive, mutually inclusive?]. Stop being so up your own arse and people might start listening to you.
  • Well, people using software and buying software are not [opposite of mutually exclusive, mutually inclusive?]. Stop being so up your own arse and people might start listening to you.
    Like I said, if you don't like the business model, don't pay for it. But software is a good that people give you in exchange for money. If you don't want to pay, go use Linux. No one is forcing you to use Windows.
  • edited May 2008
    But software is a good that people give you in exchange for money.
    And so, if I get it via other means then I don't have to bother paying. Glad we agree.