This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Starting A Retro Gaming Collection

GeoGeo
edited April 2008 in Everything Else
I'm thinking of starting a retro game collection as I both want to own and play many consoles of yesteryear. I don't care which ones I get, so long as I have something that is from the past. The problem is that while I have the cash and the time to obtain this hopefully large collection, I have absolutely no idea as to where to start.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get started? I would be very much obliged if some of forum-goers would give me some advice.

Comments

• You can start in my basement. I have many retro games down there.

Bermuda Triangle: Plastic blob moves across game board sucking up ships via magnets.

Clue: The Great Museum Caper: The only Clue game worth playing. One person is the thief and the rest try to catch you as you secretly move about the board stealing paintings.

Magic Realm: The only fantasy board game you will ever need. A degree in mathematics is required to understand the game fully.
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    Download some ROMs/ISOs/etc, play, then buy what you like off Ebay for 99 cents and 30 dollars shipping.

Or find a mom&pop video place that still rents old games.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous, go to your local thrift shop/flea market/garage sale, buy what's available and give the horrible ones to your retro-gaming minded friends as half-assed birthday presents. :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • You can start in my basement. I have many retro games down there.

Bermuda Triangle: Plastic blob moves across game board sucking up ships via magnets.

Clue: The Great Museum Caper: The only Clue game worth playing. One person is the thief and the rest try to catch you as you secretly move about the board stealing paintings.

Magic Realm: The only fantasy board game you will ever need. A degree in mathematics is required to understand the game fully.
    I was speaking more along the lines of video games, board games really don't interest me in slightest.
  • In that case try and get one of the original Pong game systems.
  • Here how you start it:

Pick what you enjoy and stick with that, if you spread yourself too thin then you spend too much money and have a collection of things you do not value. I stick with 8-16 bit era things for mine with the exception of my N64.
  • Try your local pwan shop. You may be amazed by what old consoles you find there going for dirt cheap.
  • Ebay.
    http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/ - Suggested by GameSniped as a good alternative for ebay, especially for retro gaming.
    This google map, started by a member of this forum
    Garage Sales
    Goodwill/Salvation Army/Flea Markets (I personally haven't tried any of these places, but I've heard good things about them regarding retro gaming).

That's about it.
  • I've had a horrible time trying to get hold of older GBA games on eBay because 80% of them are pirate copies. I don't know what the situation is with other types of cartridges. Part of the problem is that most people don't care about getting a pirate cartridge as long as it works, so you can't rely on the feedback they leave.
  • Clue: The Great Museum Caper: The only Clue game worth playing.
    That game is pretty awesome.
  • I've had a horrible time trying to get hold of older GBA games on eBay because 80% of them are pirate copies. I don't know what the situation is with other types of cartridges. Part of the problem is that most people don't care about getting a pirate cartridge as long as it works, so you can't rely on the feedback they leave.
    Gamestop is actually a great place for old GBA games. I was able to pick up Tales of Phantasia (which actually came out later in the GBA's lifetime....) for only $7. I also picked up Metroid Fusion for $7.
    On the other hand, they're still charging out the ass for used copies of Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland ($25) and Pokemon Emerald (25 or 30).
    Gamestop is actually a great place for old GBA games. I was able to pick up Tales of Phantasia (which actually came out later in the GBA's lifetime....) for only $7. I also picked up Metroid Fusion for $7.
    On the other hand, they're still charging out the ass for used copies of Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland ($25) and Pokemon Emerald (25 or 30).
    I think that really says something if Nintendo (or whoever made the prices for this stuff) believes that all their popular franchises are worth more than the games that while not part of a franchise, are masterpieces in their own specific ways.
  • edited May 2008
    I think that really says something if Nintendo (or whoever made the prices for this stuff) believes that all their popular franchises are worth more than the games that while not part of a franchise, are masterpieces in their own specific ways.
    On the contrary, Metroid Fusion is both a masterpiece and part of a franchise. TOP is also part of a franchise. Dunno if it's a masterpiece or not, I haven't played it yet.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Those Pokemon games are worth the money becuse most people buy them just to raid the cartridges. A used Pokemon game is better than a new one because it likely has stuff on it.

The only exception is the DS Pokemon games. The Wonder Card system is more permanent and the game knows if it got a downloaded freebie or not. Pokemon Ranger is the worst, You can only ever get one Manaphy egg per cartridge. Reseting the game does nothing. I'm not sure about Diamond and Pearl if reseting them clears the Wonder Cards.
  • Your best bet for starting your collection is definitly an NES. The best suggestion I can give you is garage sales. Like 70% of my used games came from garage sales and thrift stores. Try checking local Salvation Armies and other stores like that, sometimes you can get some pretty good stuff. At some garage sales I have gotten NES games for like 25 cents. Last summer I got a Vectrex for five bucks, with 4 games at a garage sale and then 5 minutes later I got a boxed intellivision with 17 boxed games and the voice modulator for ten bucks. If no-one believes me then I can post pics. Go to garage sales!
  • I think that really says something if Nintendo (or whoever made the prices for this stuff) believes that all their popular franchises are worth more than the games that while not part of a franchise, are masterpieces in their own specific ways.
    On the contrary, Metroid Fusion is both a masterpiece and part of a franchise. TOP is also part of a franchise. Dunno if it's a masterpiece or not, I haven't played it yet.
    When I said what I said, I was specifically referencing Tales of Phantasia. Sorry if I was a bit unclear in my statement.