This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do you believe in the supernatural?

13»

Comments

• Oh crap, we're debating the suitability of words. It's only a matter of time before this descends into a complete flame war.
  • To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. In this sense I am too religious, with the reservation that 'cannot grasp' does not mean 'forever ungraspable'. But I prefer not to call myself religious because it is misleading. It is destructively misleading because, for the vast majority of people, 'religion' implies 'supernatural'.
  • Oh crap, we're debating the suitability of words. It's only a matter of time before this descends into a complete flame war.
    That's exactly what Hitler would have said.
  • Mythology and Supernatuality are similar yet different. Mythology is using a figment of an imagination to teach morals and values to the people via stories. Most religions use mythology to support their religion by either reenacting stories or celebrating the popular characters in them. What Zelots tend to forget that it is not to be taken literally, and take it literally.

Supernatural stuff is a creative story that does absolutely nothing. It doesn't support the religion or is a piece of a larger mythology, it is just a stand alone tale to entertain people. Bigfoot doesn't exist, cryptology does nothing, there is no Lockness Monster, or ghosts, or monsters. They are created just to entertain.
  • I believe in dark matter and dark energy, stuff that we cannot see but we know is real.
  • I believe in dark matter and dark energy, stuff that we cannot see but we know is real.
    We're not 100% sure it's real. We have some evidence for it, plus some theoretical backing, but neither solid proof nor disproof.
    We're not 100% sure it's real. We have some evidence for it, plus some theoretical backing, but neither solid proof nor disproof.
    But physics needs them, I mean how else are we gonna count the 96% of the unknown universe :P
  • But physics needs them, I mean how else are we gonna count the 96% of the unknown universe :P
    We'll either figure out the real answer, or we'll keep looking forever.
  • But physics needs them, I mean how else are we gonna count the 96% of the unknown universe :P
    That is why I like humanity, always looking for the truth.
    But in the mean time I wanna believe the universe still expanding and it will not collapse into itself :P
    That is why I like humanity, always looking for the truth.
    But in the mean time I wanna believe the universe still expanding and it will not collapse into itself :P
    That's OK, as long as you abandon that belief when it is contradicted by solid evidence.

When science doesn't have an answer, I prefer to say "We don't know." You can fill that in with whatever BS answer you want, so long as it doesn't affect your decision-making, and as long as you abandon it when we actually find an answer.
  • Seriously, this is why I'm so happy to be living today. When the construction of the LHC is completed, we will learn the answers to the existence of dark matter and the such.
  • Seriously, this is why I'm so happy to be living today. When the construction of the LHC is completed, we will learn the answers to the existence of dark matter and the such.
    Or we'll all die when the Earth becomes a black hole. Either way we'll learn something, right?
  • Or we'll all die when the Earth becomes a black hole. Either way we'll learn something, right?
    *facepalm* The amount of energy needed for that to happen are ridiculous. In other words, it's too fucking unlikely to even bother listening to those who shit their pants at the thought of the LHC starting up.
  • Additionally, if that happens, we'll never even know it, right? So no worries.
  • Or we'll all die when the Earth becomes a black hole. Either way we'll learn something, right?
    We could be in a black hole right now and never know it. The black holes that could be generated by the LHC would disappear within seconds due to Hawking Radiation. Now if you say "Well we have never seen Hawking Radiation so how do we know exists?", well the same equations that state that we could generate black holes are the same ones that define Hawking Radiation. So we either get black holes that disappear almost instantaneously due to Hawking Radiation or no black holes at all.
  • edited May 2008
    While humans are limited by their senses and their current scientific understanding and instruments... I think that anything that is "unknown" abides by universal laws and can be explained in rational, predictable, and scientific ways... one simply needs scope and time, and all can be known and understood.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • But in the mean time I wanna believe the universe still expanding and it will not collapse into itself :P
    Probably don't have to worry about it. Spacetime is flat to within 2%. Source.
  • But in the mean time I wanna believe the universe still expanding and it will not collapse into itself :P
    Probably don't have to worry about it. Spacetime is flat to within 2%.Source.
    That is why I said what I said. If without the Dark matter and Dark energy the universe would probably collapse into itself. Also what is up with universe accelerated expansion all of the sudden? And by all of the sudden I mean relative to the universe age :P