This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080430 - Vision of Escaflowne

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the wonderful Vision of Escaflowne. In the news, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is picked back up. Also, Scott experiences some Shiro-tasm with Orion.

Scott's Thing - Freakangels
Rym's Thing - ReDeath

Comments

• JayJay
    edited April 2008
    Bandai picked up Gurren Lagann *fist pumps*. I loved that show. I wish it would be shown on cable T.V. Unfortunately, the show clearly has an older children feel to it (same target audience as avatar age wise) but the cleavage will keep it from that audience.

Edit: This show involves transforming sunglasses to become a weapon. Thats an auto win. Why hasn't it been reviewed yet? (and if it has what show was it because I missed it)
    Post edited by Jay on
  • No spoilers, right?
  • edited April 2008
    "#1 anime podcast in the English speaking world"

Any stats to back that up, guys? Just wondering...I've heard that AWO is the #1 from a few people. On iTunes, Anime Pulse is #1 in popularity (search for anime, sort by popularity, it'll be #1).

Just wondering if you guys were just saying that facetiously or if you were being serious.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited April 2008
    I'm vouching for Freakangels awesomeness. I think it's great.

Also I exploded when I read and talked about the Gurren Lagann re-license.
    "#1 anime podcast in the English speaking world"

Any stats to back that up, guys? Just wondering...I've heard that AWO is the #1 from a few people. On iTunes, Anime Pulse is #1 in popularity (search for anime, sort by popularity, it'll be #1).

Just wondering if you guys were just saying that facetiously or if you were being serious.
    They won that Parsec award in 07 for best anime podcast. Sorry Geeknights, I love this show, but I think AWO should of gotten that. ^_^

Also, Escaflowne is the supreme awesome, but it didn't make me cry. Then again I don't remember if I did. :p

Dilandau. Remember how he was explained. WTF! That made my brain hurt and I flipped off the TV. I hated and loved that.

I love the story so much but I never really like the character designs. I got used to them but I will never love them.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Sorry Geeknights, I love this show, but I think AWO should of gotten that. ^_^
    AWO loses for bickering like an old married polygamist trio.

Daryl Surat's awesome, though.

• AWO loses for bickering like an old married polygamist trio.
    You mean they AREN'T! :P
  • edited April 2008
    AWO loses for bickering like an old married polygamist trio.
    And Rym and Scott don't argue...?

Plus, when I listen to AWO, I often feel as if I'm sitting in at a panel at an anime con. It's just that informative to me. I doubt it's like that for anyone, but it's hard to look past AWO's vast anime knowledge.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I often feel as if I'm sitting in at a panel at an anime con. It's just that informative to me.
    They're actually MORE informative than the typical panel! XD
  • Holy shit. I'm excited to listen to this episode. I can't wait till tomorrow. ^_^
  • I haven't listened yet either, but I just wanted to comment on ReDeath. I first (and last) saw it at Otakon 2004 along with other Studio Sokodei fandubs. I loved it, especially when all of the Gendo cosplayers in the audience would go up and dance when he came on-screen.
    I am happy to see it again, even on YouTube. I was going to ask my local con to get a showing of some of their stuff, but when I checked out Studio Sokodei's site they were saying they weren't letting new folks show anything.
  • I doubt anyone will be able to find the full version of Nescaflowne on the internet, the guys who made it keep their copies under lock and key. Heck the only reason we have ReDeath is because someone stole the dvd at a con a while back and put it online.
  • Any stats to back that up, guys? Just wondering...I've heard that AWO is the #1 from a few people. On iTunes, Anime Pulse is #1 in popularity (search for anime, sort by popularity, it'll be #1).
    Well, we're usually speaking facetiously whenever we talk about popularity or anything like that, but I do have to note one important thing: GeekNights Wednesdays has two separate feeds, which cuts the "iTunes" popularity quite a bit.
  • I doubt anyone will be able to find the full version of Nescaflowne on the internet, the guys who made it keep their copies under lock and key. Heck the only reason we have ReDeath is because someone stole the dvd at a con a while back and put it online.
    In other words, they're assholes.
  • No spoilers, right?
    No spoilers. In fact, we basically just review everything about the show except the actual plot/story/characters. Consider it a preview almost. We'll do a more in-depth review in the future, and later a final thoughts.
  • edited May 2008
    Also, Escaflowne is the supreme awesome, but it didn't make me cry. Then again I don't remember if I did. :p
    I'm with Rym. I cried so much at the end. Even still when I listen to the OST song that was played during the final credits, I get pretty sentimental.
    I love the story so much but I never really like the character designs. I got used to them but I will never love them.
    I was like that at first. I was introduced to this show from the store owner of a local anime rental place. I was skeptical at first because the art on the VHS boxes didn't look so appealing. He told me I would love this series. He was not wrong. I really did not like the noses at all, but I got used to them, and I really enjoy them now.

When I saw the character designs for the movie, I thought to myself that they should have made those designs for the show! However, I wonder if it would have been any different. Probably not, but damn Van, movie style, was pretty hot.

I basically watched it as Rym and Scott told you not to. I watched each VHS tape on a daily basis. It was hell getting to the end of each tape at night. My parents would here me scream, "NOOOOO!!" and would come into my room wondering what the hell was going on. This was 10 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long already. -_-

This is probably my favorite anime of all time. If anything, it's one of the first series I finished that made me realize how fucking awesome anime is. The other anime I was watching during that time was Slayers or Ranma 1/2. So this was probably the first show that had serious depth. It made a pretty huge impact on me and my love for anime.

Yes for Yokko Kanno! I'm pretty sure I own all of the Escaflowne soundtracks and they are all superb. Some of the pieces that Yoko Kanno creates for the characters are very well done. I think they help enhance the emotions of what that character is feeling or going through. Some examples are "Cradle Song" for Allen Schezar or "Shadow of Doubt" for Folken.

I'll stop the fangirlgasms there. However, I will say, if you haven't watched this series and like that fantasy/mech/war/drama/romance stuff, you should definitely buy or watch this series.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I had been bad and I accidentally got this on bootleg but at least it let me finish watching these excellent series. In other news the other G-show(Code Geass) is on Cartoon Network as of last Saturday night on Adult Swim.
  • Having slightly been involved with a couple fan parodies over the years, I can't help but pop in :). In the interest of full disclosure, I wrote one or two lines in This is Otakudom and did one bit voice part, and wrote more in and did a main voice in S.T.E.A.M.

While This is Otakudom hardly got the ball rolling with fan parodies... perhaps it did. There were plenty of fan parodies before it, and it was partially created as a "thank you" to those that came before (Voltron: Hell Bent for Leather, Ranma 1/3, etc.). In fact, many of the jokes are parodies of and references to lines and jokes from previous fan parodies. So while it wasn't anything "new" in that respect, there was plenty that set it apart and brought in new blood back then in 2001. First off, it was organized by someone (Scott Melzer) who was an accomplished AMV editor for many years (with a film studies background), and so the technical ability was far and above anything that had come before (mixed audio, digital lip-syncing, transitions, etc.). At the same time, Studio Sodokei was coming into full-form with stuff that you've already mentioned (ReDeath, Nescaflowne, Fanboy Bebop, etc.). It wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that these two groups re-formed fan parodies into their current perception.

You also mentioned stuff like those kinds of jokes being moved over to AMVs, and things like AMV Hell. You couldn't be more right. In fact, we've had a bit of a problem (well, not really a "problem"; more like an interesting question) specifically at AnimeNEXT with what to DO with those types of AMVs that come in. They're not traditional "music videos", but they're short and really can't be considered full-length "fan parodies". Our decision was that we would introduce the opening trailers (which we personally made and requested from friends) before the contest for a couple years, and then as we watched this art form come into fruition as "accepted", we started up the flat-out "TRAILER/PARODY" category, separate from the traditional "COMEDY" category. Going even further, one of the ideas for S.T.E.A.M. (which flips "channels" every so often) was an MTV-style channel with bad AMV ideas that got in, got out, and moved on. The idea for this was years before AMV Hell, but because it took so long to finish the thing, AMV Hell came and went with sequels, and it left the idea not-so-novel... just another example of the parody-style of AMV making moving right on out from actually being parodies, right over into what people think AMVs exclusively are, almost.

With regards to the parody distribution, as has been mentioned, Studio Sokodei just doesn't distribute their stuff. The old line I heard was that they wanted their stuff to be viewed exclusively in large crowds at conventions. I can understand this sentiment, since mob-mentality comes in and everything's funnier in these large groups; you have fonder memories. You did note that Otakudom was one of the first more-widely distributed fan parodies; this is definitely true for the current idea of fan parodies. We did VHS and VCD at cons for years. The final DVDs (with extras, subtitle tracks, etc.) for both Otakudom and S.T.E.A.M. were recently completed, and I'd be more than happy to send them along to Ryn & Scott if you're interested. It looks like a torrent for S.T.E.A.M. was recently set up, but I know nothing about it, it appears to only be the first disc (it's a two-disc set), and hardly anyone's seeding it.

I've got a special place in my memory/heart for Otakudom, and while I acknowledge that many parts of it are "lame" and not really funny, overall it's incredibly impressive and is one of those things I love in spite of any negative aspects. In fact, even though I was much more heavily involved with S.T.E.A.M., I think I prefer Otakudom.

Escaflowne. One of those shows where back in college one of those magical viewing sessions just kind of happened where people that didn't know each other somehow all ended up in one room watching VHS copies and sharing the experience. Got the DVDs as they were coming out, fell in love, and love to this day. Haven't watched in a few years, though :P.
  • edited May 2008
    Escaflowne. One of those shows where back in college one of those magical viewing sessions just kind of happened where people that didn't know each other somehow all ended up in one room watching VHS copies and sharing the experience. Got the DVDs as they were coming out, fell in love, and love to this day. Haven't watched in a few years, though :P.
    The time I saw all of Escaflowne was when the early FRC ran a marathon of it in an RIT dorm lounge. While watching it, some strangers walked by, and saw what we were watching and joined in. Said stranger became a good friend of ours. Escaflowne brings people together.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So Scott, did you check out Freakangels yet?

I've been reading it since it started (and I was anxiously waiting for it to start fo r a couple months before that). It's not bad so far, but not a lot has happened yet. A lot of introducing characters, and a few novel ideas, which Ellis is always good for. The art is actually pretty disappointing, though. The promo art looked great, and I know Paul Duffield can do some good stuff, but I think he's rushed on this. His figure drawing is pretty weak in a lot of places. He does do gorgeous colors, though.
  • I am surprised the topic of that awful, awful Fox Kids dub/edit didn't come up.
  • I am surprised the topic of that awful, awful Fox Kids dub/edit didn't come up.
    What are you talking about? I can't hear you. What did you say?
    We shouldn't speak of such horrors.

I was thinking about mentioning it, but it's an abomination. :P

It reminds me of when Fox did that for Card Captor Sakura, but called it Card Captors and started on a later episodes in the series as the series premiere.

I tried watching Escaflowne dubbed on DVD. I just couldn't continue.
  • What are you talking about? I can't hear you. What did you say?
    lol, I see. Its the Highlander II treatment then?
  • You have to talk about EXPLODING HORSE if you even so much as mention the Escaflowne movie.
  • You have to talk about EXPLODING HORSE if you even so much as mention the Escaflowne movie.
    I don't even recall anything like that in the movie, although I've only watched it twice: once when it came to theaters and the second, when I got it on DVD. That was ages ago, maybe I should pop it in tonight.
  • edited May 2008
    I am surprised the topic of that awful, awful Fox Kids dub/edit didn't come up.
    We shouldn't speak of such horrors.
    I was thinking about mentioning it, but it's an abomination. :P
    What are you talking about? I can't hear you. What did you say?
    I HAVE NO SOOOOON!!!!

Yeah, actually that was the first time I watched Escaflowne and loved it then until it was canceled. Alas, I was a young ignorant noobie fan then and listening to the dub 8 years later MADE ME WANT TO KILL THE TV! XP
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I'm Cambodian and I've been there twice. Minefields or no minefields, it's a lot nicer of a place than the news or Angelina Jolie make it out to be. Even though I know the book really doesn't have anything to do with Cambodia, your comment has made me want to pick up Prince of Nothing. =)

Also Fistful of Dollars was basically Akira Kurosawa's film, Yojimbo, made into a western. Fistful of Dollars is still one of the greatest films ever made though.
  • What are you talking about? I can't hear you. What did you say?
    lol, I see. Its the Highlander II treatment then?
    The what treatment? Speak English, man.
  • I actually found Orion to be a lot easier to understand than, say, the second GitS manga. I suppose knowing a bit about Buddhist theology and eastern mysticism might have helped in more than a few places though... If there's anything specific you want explained or if you just want me to summarize the plot I'd be happy to.
  • In a strange and hard-to-explain way, Escaflowne is one of the things that led me to go to RIT.