This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080430 - Vision of Escaflowne

2»

Comments

• I watched this recently on earlier Geeknights chit-chat, and while I liked it, there is not a fucking chance this ranks in my top five. Half the cast was unlikable, the fights always ended in Dilando shouting "RUN AWAAAAAY" after shouting "ALAN SHAZZZAAAAR" for five minutes. This show is about retreat, yelling people's names, and Hitomi having a superpower that is literally nothing more than the ability to shout "watch out." --- I liked everything with Van, but most everything around him was yawneriffic. I personally can not comprehend why their is such rabid love for this show. I get the sword fighting and cliffhangers, those are awesome, but giant robots can only carry mediocre characters so far.

I watched the dub on the DVD, perhaps that had an impact on it, but I don't really care about bad dubs. It was fine, but Dilando was the most annoying, unlikable dude ever. And I don't mean that in the "He is such a good bad guy! YOU HATE HIM!". No, I mean like he's a shitty character kind of bad. Also cat girls.
  • and later a final thoughts.
    Sorry for the double post, but lolz.

I really want more final thoughts. Scott, watch more old anime again!
  • I saw Escaflowne way back when it was first being released on DVD. I did really like the show, but I have to say that I really hated the ending to the show. It pretty much ruined the show for me.
  • In reply to Scott, I've heard various reports about Geass, both good and mediocre, but none that say it's bad.
    And Gurren-Lagann is great if you like the type of mecha anime where the wind is blowing through their hair as they scream an epic speech about courage.
  • Yeah, don't knock Geass until you watch it. I would say that its sorta like Death Note, but with giant robots.
  • In reply to Scott, I've heard various reports about Geass, both good and mediocre, but none that say it's bad.
    And Gurren-Lagann is great if you like the type of mecha anime where the wind is blowing through their hair as they scream an epic speech about courage...
    ...and not believing in yourself, but rather believing in the me that believes in you!
    And Gurren-Lagann is great if you like the type of mecha anime where the wind is blowing through their hair as they scream an epic speech about courage...
    ...and not believing in yourself, but rather believing in the me that believes in you!
    And about piercing heaven with your drill.
  • From the ways you described Escaflowne in this episode, I believe that you will both love Gurren Lagann. If you look at how far they get by the end of the series and then look back at where they start in the first episode, all that can be said is "Whoa..." It is definitely epic, by the way you used that term in this episode. The only thing I'd warn you about is that episodes 4 and 6 are, to quote Movies You Should See, a bit shit. But don't let those two episodes throw you off! They are pretty much the only bad episodes in the entire series run, and the series gets progressively better and better and better and better and WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?! and even more awesome as it goes.
  • "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM KICK!!!!!!"
    HOW DARE YOU DO THAT TO MY PRECIOUS UNDERLING PAUUUUUUUUUNCHU!
    /quotefeast
  • Gah, Rym, you made me remember the last episodes of Bokurano, you adding you had to cry at those episodes too is making me tear again. It's a very good show.

Nice episode, still have to watch Escaflowne. *flees from Viga*
  • I am surprised the topic of that awful, awful Fox Kids dub/edit didn't come up.
    We shouldn't speak of such horrors.

I was thinking about mentioning it, but it's an abomination. :P

It reminds me of when Fox did that for Card Captor Sakura, but called it Card Captors and started on a later episodes in the series as the series premiere.

I tried watching Escaflowne dubbed on DVD. I just couldn't continue.
    I only saw one episode on Fox, and was given the impression it was a bad show. Nice to know it was just a 4Kids job. Now I need to check this out.
  • Nice episode, still have to watch Escaflowne. *flees from Viga*
    I said it. Geeknights said it. No excuse, Nineless! MHAHAHA!
  • Just to let you know: If you are looking for a good serious fantasy anime, Scraped Princess. Give it a shot.
    /quotefeast
    CERTAIN KILL! PERFECT COMBUSTION OF A MAN'S SOUL CANNONBALL ATTACK!!!!!!
  • I watched this recently on earlier Geeknights chit-chat, and while I liked it, there is not a fucking chance this ranks in my top five. Half the cast was unlikable, the fights always ended in Dilando shouting "RUN AWAAAAAY" after shouting "ALAN SHAZZZAAAAR" for five minutes. This show is about retreat, yelling people's names, and Hitomi having a superpower that is literally nothing more than the ability to shout "watch out." --- I liked everything with Van, but most everything around him was yawneriffic. I personally can not comprehend why their is such rabid love for this show. I get the sword fighting and cliffhangers, those are awesome, but giant robots can only carry mediocre characters so far.

I watched the dub on the DVD, perhaps that had an impact on it, but I don't really care about bad dubs. It was fine, but Dilando was the most annoying, unlikable dude ever. And I don't mean that in the "He is such a good bad guy! YOU HATE HIM!". No, I mean like he's a shitty character kind of bad. Also cat girls.
    You completely, entirely missed the point of the show. Seriously, by like, a thousand miles. Did you watch the Fox Kids edit or something?
    /quotefeast
    CERTAIN KILL! PERFECT COMBUSTION OF A MAN'S SOUL CANNONBALL ATTACK!!!!!!
    SPOILER: KING KITTAN.... Giga dorillu.... BUREAKKKKKAAAHHHHHHHHHH
  • I recently watched the movie, and it was pretty good. The only exposure I have had to the series, was on Saturday morning cartoons. I hope to one day get to the series on my Netflix Queue.
  • edited May 2008
    Wow, I suddenly felt special after having access to both Nescaflowne and Evangelion RE:Death (the final version that fixes the phoned-in Misato) due to my role as an Anime Hell missionary...

Also nice to see VegettoEX pop up--glad you're in the audience too.

Rym & Scott, if you ever want to talk about old-school anime parodies from the southeastern US point of view--I'm talking the glory days of Corn Pone Flicks and my own Jigoku No Video (of X-23 fame)--just give me a call.
    Post edited by RichLather on