This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Room Escape Games

edited April 2008 in Video Games
For those of you who don't know what a room escape game is: typically, it's a flash-based point-and-click game where you must escape from a room. Pretty simple.

So is anyone else a fan of these sorts of games? Which escape games are your favorites? Do you prefer long drawn-out affairs with multiple rooms or more simple challenges with a few neat components? Personally, I love the Submachine series (*but they are so much better if you play them in order!*), since they offer a really interesting background with creative puzzles and strong environments.

Comments

• These games would be more fun if they made sense. Mostly they just boil down to clicking on every possible combination of things until you beat it. It's really not that much different from old point and click adventures games.
  • These games would be more fun if they made sense. Mostly they just boil down to clicking on every possible combination of things until you beat it. It's really not that much different from old point and click adventures games.
    Unless it's a proper made one. Like the Submachine ones. You'll have to puzzle a lot in those.

Though most other Room Escape games are idiotic, and as Scott said only require you to click everywhere in a room and then click on everything you gathered. Also, I hate it when an object is hidden three levels deep from the main screen, i.e. you are in the room, look at a soda machine for example, click on it and you get closer and then click on the super small edge between the machine and the wall to get behind it and then you find some stupid object. Those things are just annoying as hell, they should be more clear god damnit. Make it clear that something can be done there!
  • See, the thing that is a problem with those games is that if items are easy to find, and the puzzles make sense, then the games become incredibly easy. It is incredibly difficult to make one of these games that is both difficult, but also makes sense. To understand what I'm talking about, see Myst.
  • See, the thing that is a problem with those games is that if items are easy to find, and the puzzles make sense, then the games become incredibly easy. It is incredibly difficult to make one of these games that is both difficult, but also makes sense. To understand what I'm talking about, see Myst.
    You go play Submachine then. The objects are mostly easy to distinguish, but some are hard to find due to you having to solve one to several puzzles to be able and find them.
  • The first game that comes to mind is Chip's Challenge. Definitely one of my favorites.
  • The first game that comes to mind is Chip's Challenge. Definitely one of my favorites.
    Oh mans, Chip's Challenge! Now that I have a Windows computer, I should try to get that game again.
    Bummer.
  • Now that I have a Windows computer, I should try to get that game again.
    Yeah, thinking about it makes me want to play again. The only version I can find is a fan made one.
    Bummer.
    What do you mean?
  • What do you mean?
    The guy says "Bummer" if you die.
    And I know there's a download for it somewhere, but I don't know where.
  • The guy says "Bummer" if you die.
    On man! I totally forgot about that. It's been more than 10 years since I've last played that game.
  • It has been a while for me also, but not 10 years.
    It was indeed a cool game.