This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Anime Select: The Best in Anime

RymRym
edited May 2008 in Anime
I've been thinking about something, and I wondered if it would be useful to all of you out there.

We could make a sort of "Anime Omnibus" feed, which included GeekNights episodes in the anime category (not necessarily ALL Wednesday shows: just the anime ones), but also any of the other good anime-related episodes of other podcasts. Sort of a "GeekNights Anime Select: The Best in Anime Podcasting." Hell, the feed could include more than just podcasts.

As an example, in case you don't see where I'm going with this, the feed might look something like the following:
GeekNights' latest anime show
Dave and Joel's latest anime show (not their videogames)
Anime World Order's most recent episode
GeekNights anime show from two weeks ago (skipping a Wednesday about comics)
Some other good anime podcast's episode
Etc...
People always ask us, time and time again, what shows we listen to. Instead of telling you over and over again, you could just subscribe to our current tastes on a per-topic basis.

This is a newish idea, and I wonder what you think. How could we make this useful to you? Should we include GeekNights, or just the non-GeekNights shows we like related to the topic? (I imagine the latter case being useful to people who already subscribe to a GeekNights daily feed).

Comments

• It would be a great idea for people that are new to podcasting and like anime. Unfortunately for me, I am probably already subscribed to all anime podcasts you find worthwhile and a few more.
  • Good idea. You should go through with it.
  • It would be a great idea for people that are new to podcasting and like anime.
    That's exactly my intent! We can advertise "Anime Podcasting" at conventions, instead of pushing just GeekNights. Better for all of us. ^_^
  • Oooh, sounds very good. Might be a good substitute for the list of 100 anime. ~.n
  • That's exactly my intent! We can advertise "Anime Podcasting" at conventions, instead of pushing just GeekNights. Better for all of us. ^_^
    Isn't that a de facto podcasting network? You said a while ago that cross-advertising was a bad idea, if I remember correctly. What has changed?
  • RymRym
    edited May 2008
    You said a while ago that cross-advertising was a bad idea, if I remember correctly.
    Advertising inside of a show, like with the promos everyone tosses around, is fairly lame. Podcasting networks are more interesting ideas, but we've never met anyone else willing to put forth the effort that would be required to make it both work and be worthwhile in the form we would like.

This would require almost zero effort on our part other than making a new feed and subscribing it to what we want. It's external to the show itself, and thus doesn't interfere. There would be no real mention of it, and we certainly wouldn't talk about it on the show or expect anyone we link to to even bring it up. There wouldn't need to be a site, or any coordination/cooperation/consent from any of the other podcasts. This would have practically zero impact on the existing lister-base, yet decent potential for the future one.

Also, by simply doing it ourselves, we neatly avoid the problem of having to deal with any issues that may come up with other shows. It would basically just be a topical recommended listening feed.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I think it's an awesome idea! Go for it! Your intentions are greatness.
    we've never met anyone else willing to put forth the effort that would be required to make it both work and be worthwhile in the form we would like.
    So what is your take on a good podcast network? (I think I'll put this in the show idea thread too.)
  • Sounds like a sweet idea. If you could, don't just limit it to anime. What about best tech and gaming podcasts/news, too?
  • Sounds like a sweet idea. If you could, don't just limit it to anime. What about best tech and gaming podcasts/news, too?
    Hell, why don't you just make it a 'geeknights pick' feed.
  • Would this interfere with iTunes popularity rankings for those other shows?
    Oh, verymuch so. iTunes popularity is fairly useless as a measure, though, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    Oh, verymuch so. iTunes popularity is fairly useless as a measure, though, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    Are you going to check with the other podcasters first, then?

Also go for it, since that is an awesome idea.
  • Are you going to check with the other podcasters first, then?
    Not at all.
  • I think its a great idea. Go for it.
  • Yeah. Do it.
  • Definitely a good idea. It would be cool to see a gaming or a tech one as well.
  • edited May 2008
    This is a great idea, and I'll listen to it, if it's more than GN Wednesdays, aWo and Fast Karate.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • This is a great idea, and I'll listen to it, if it's more than GN Wednesdays, aWo and Fast Karate.
    Hell, it could just be awo, GN Weds. and Fast Karate and it would still be awesome.

Rym, add Anime Pulse as a joke.
  • edited May 2008
    I'd recommend Destroy All Podcasts DX for the feed.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • I'd recommendDestroy All Podcasts DXfor the feed.
    One problem, they do a lot of things geeknights hates- inside jokes, people talking over each other, and ass audio quality (their episode on the cowboy bebop movie was awful, quality wise).
    Content wise, I love their topics. Old school japanese films ftw.
  • Except for the Andrew-only episodes, the audio quality (while not spectacular by any means) didn't particularly bother me. Also, people talking over each other only seemed to be a problem when they had three or more people.
  • Rym, add Anime Pulse as a joke.
    Why a joke? AP has turned me on to more Anime then any other recommendation medium (other podcasts, reviewsites, magazines,...). It may not be the best quality there is, but they give a good overview about the series in question and helped me a lot.
  • Good overview? AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Last I checked, their shows went something like, "*munch munch* so uh yeah. Sasuke's an emo bitch."
    Seconded.
  • edited May 2008
    Good overview? AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Last I checked, their shows went something like, "*munch munch* so uh yeah. Sasuke's an emo bitch."
    And how long ago is that? Did you actually ever listen to one of their episodes yourself or do you only go from what Scrym presented in the Worst Podcast episode?
    The fact is I heard about more anime I watched and enjoyed from Anime Pulse than from anywhere else. I know that the show is not the best or most knowledgeable out there, but they get the job done. It may not cater to the high standards you guys supposedly have, but it isn't the garbage most here try to make it out to be.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
    +3.

I also agree on adding more than AWO, GN and FK. How about Ninja Consultants?

No Anime Pulse! >.<
    Are you going to check with the other podcasters first, then?
    Not at all.
    He doesn't have to anyway. Creative Commons. It's FTW.
  • And how long ago is that? Did you actually ever listen to one of their episodes yourself or do you only go from what Scrym presented in the Worst Podcast episode?
    I listened to about seven.
    He doesn't have to anyway. Creative Commons. It's FTW.
    Creative Commons has nothing to do with is. A podcast is just an mp3. An RSS feed is just a link. Making our own feed like this and including other shows is no different than simply linking to said shows.
  • edited May 2008
    How about Ninja Consultants?
    They're pretty fail, as well, IMO. The only episodes I liked from them were their japan trip episodes, and even then, Weekly Anime Review's japan trip episodes were 100x better.
    Did you actually ever listen to one of their episodes yourself
    I'll speak for myself on this one, as AP was my first podcast and I've listened to roughly 10-15 of their episodes. And yes, I've listened to some of their recent shows.
    Why I stopped listening (in no order):
    1. *munch munch* and the random yelling in the background
    2. I really don't like the fact that it seems like they (the 2 main hosts, that is) have a pool of 10 or so people they choose from to do shows with them each week. That tends to get annoying, fast, since it's hard to know who the hell is in the shows on a week to week basis.
    3. they sold out and got ads.
    4. the one guy said he stopped watching Death Note subs because the fansubbers didn't translate it 100% perfectly. Protip: no fansub groups do...thus, either accept that fact or just shut the fuck up and never watch fansubs again.
    5. They did rundowns of the weekly Bleach and Naruto episodes. Why watch the show when you can have 2 mediocre podcasters describe it to you!?!?
    6. Their "general overviews" consist less of telling about the show and more of telling exactly what happens in the first few episodes
    7. their rating system is fucking retarded
    8. they rate worthless shows. Here's some of their recent reviews: Love Hina, Dragonaut, Bus gamer...Hell, I think the only review they did out of their last 10 or so episodes that I even come close to caring about is Macross Frontier.
    9. I could probably think of 5-10 more reasons, but I don't wanna bore you guys.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited May 2008
    Wee, counterarguments:
    1. Haven't heard that any annoying background noice in a while
    2. Batou and Ichigo are pretty much only doing the show by themselves anymore. In the last 30 or so shows they only had a guest host a single time.
    3. Everybody has to pay bills. Feel free to ignore it.
    4. They didn't stop with Death Note for that reason. They stopped it because they read the manga before. The Anime is pretty much a direct translation in formats and especially in a show like Death Note which lives of its plot twists, it isn't very interesting to watch it if you know the plot already
    5. I don't like that segment either. We agree on that one. Ichigo stated when he was a guest on another podcast (I think it was podtoid san or something. I don't listen to them) that he actually wants to ax it, but the listeners want to keep it.
    6. Yes, they talk about what happens. That's what an overview is. I could read it on some other review site, but normally my eyes got better things to do, like observing the road while driving, and my ears are basically on vacation. You could say that they cater a bit more to the Narutard demographic. It's a niche, but they fill it.
    7. I think it is O.K. Actually It's good to have a system that doesn't fall into the five star category and it helps that a phrase is attached to it than it just being an arbitrary number.
    8. Well, if you don't have interest in it, don't listen to it. The thing with AP is that they review anything they get their hands on and they call it as they see it. What does a review help if you already think it's great and watch it every time. And those worthless shows also don't normally get good grades. Are you going to fault some PC gaming magazine when they review some cheapo license game?
    Like I said, the fact that they review practically anything and multiple shows per episode is the boon of that show. They got me on so many shows I probably wouldn't have heard about otherwise because no other podcast would review that stuff and as described above, I don't have that much time to waste with review sites. They are actually also partially responsible for me listening to GeekNights and being on this forum right now.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited May 2008
    I'll counter your counters (if I have nothing for a number, consider it a conceded point)...

3. I can't think of another podcast that has ads. Thus, I don't see why I should just ignore them.
    4. I wish I remember the episode where Batou clearly says that he dropped DN because of bad translations. I really wish...other than that, sure, the reason you stated is legit, but I believe that Geeknights gave that reason, not AP.
    6. There's a difference. They just say "x fought y, x used some lame tricks, y beat his ass" (stuff to that effect). They give actual plot details. It's annoying, and occasionally spoils stuff. AWO and Geeknights do anime reviews the way I think reviews should be done. They seem to talk about themes and more broad aspects of a show rather than saying very, very specific and overall not helpful things about a show.
    7. The only problem is that sometimes it's hard to know whether something is good or bad, or what is better than another. "Burn it and piss on it" is obviously bad, but to an unknowing listener, "crackers" probably means next to nothing.
    8. The difference between a podcast and a magazine is that magazines probably have 10-20x as many people working on them than a podcast does, thus they have just that many people more to review stuff. So sure, they'll review stupid shit that no one cares about, but at the same time they also review things that people care about.
    Post edited by Dkong on