This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080501 - The Lounge

2»

Comments

• Maybe geeknights thursdays could be a recording of a forum skype chat?
    Wouldn't that end up sounding like a giant clusterfuck?
    5-20 people (yeah, wide assumption, but I dunno how many people would be online during that time, or how many people here have skype and a mic) all talking...probably at the same time. Not a fun thing to listen to.
    Now, if somehow, there was some structure to it, it would be awesome. Otherwise it would end badly.
    Thursday Night Party Line?!
  • With regards to your RSS feed idea, if you want to make it so that the listeners can customise the RSS feed they subscribe to, I believe Gametrailers.com has something like that where users can specify the types of videos and articles that will show up on their feed reader. The feed is generated using a simple check-box form that the user completes.
    The GT.com system SUCKS, tho. I tried to get a feed of just AVGN episodes, and spent about 10 minutes before I gave up.
    I use the GT.com system to make a reviews feed only, so it works great for me. I personally just check the AVGN site every now and again to check for new vids.
  • Thurs instead of the lounge it should be a whatmacallit where anything and everything is fair game. Also I say branch out and go on the road, i.e. travel to some locations and do a "live" show with an audience.
  • Talkback Thursdays?
  • I would say seven'd, but anyone who knows cantonese knows the connotations of that.

Anyway, I have the feeling that the more people in the lounge, the better.

Also, if there are any live shows, maybe a way to immediately respond to listeners (though I'm not sure about people calling in ...)
  • Thursday Night Party Line?!
    lol.
  • anything and everything is fair game
    Isn't that what they have been doing on Thursdays this entire time, and have said that the more free-form it is, the harder it is to actually get a topic for it?
  • Talkback Thursdays?
    LOL, I bet doing that would confuse Scott a whole lot much more.
  • LOL, I bet doing that would confuse Scott a whole lot much more.
    I think said confusion would be nullified if he were to stumble upon this comment. However, if he should not find your comment utter hilarity would ensue.
  • I request more in-person guests for Lounge Thursdays, including Emily. Perhaps get Alex or other local FRC folks on the mic some.
  • I think there should be some thursday episodes with Dave and Joel on. Geeknights for the gentlemen/Fast Karate for the Geeknights. They could go in Tuesday or Wednesday but we all know that Fast Karate is pretty off beat.
    5-20 people (yeah, wide assumption, but I dunno how many people would be online during that time, or how many people here have skype and a mic) all talking...probably at the same time. Not a fun thing to listen to.
    Now, if somehow, there was some structure to it, it would be awesome. Otherwise it would end badly.
    If they do a skypecast they can pick and choose who gets to talk.
    Still, things could turn bad.
    Still, things could turn bad.
    I'm optimistic.
  • I'm realistic.
  • edited May 2008
    My only recommendation is use the forum as much as possible when planning the episode, and try to avoid ripping off Friday Night Party Line. Also, I wouldn't recommend every Thursday be the same thing. There's still plenty of Thursday ideas that haven't been explored yet (American movies, books, Continuing How to Not Suck at College/other topics) and The Lounge will only get repetitive as well if it's done every week.

As for Dkong's comment, lots of shows (FNPL especially) do skypecasts with a lot of people, and they don't get chaotic. Also, live show + forum for posting comments during the broadcast = epic win.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Scott's thing of the day reminded me of something that I stumbled onto a while back: http://graphjam.com/
    There's some pretty funny stuff on there.
  • For emphasis, the GeekNights Forum has their own podcast already, it's called Friday Night Party Line!
  • live show + forum for posting comments
    +chatroom setup somewhere = godly win
  • live show + forum for posting comments
    +chatroom setup somewhere = godly win
    I also listen to the CAGCast (Shameless Plug), and I think they do live shows with this site. It seems kind of cluttered, and I think they used a different service before, but it is out there.
  • You guys have mentioned and "experimental feed". I know I'm probably stupidly blind (or just the former), but I can't find it.
    where can it be found?