This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Iron Man - the movie

edited May 2008 in Movies
This was the best marvel movie I have ever seen. It had me guessing at times where it was gonna go, the suit was amazingly designed, and the humor was spot on (for me anyway). Had some holes, but what movie doesn't.

Oh and stick around for after the credits ^^

What did you think?

Comments

• I completely agree. I would say it's the best Marvel movie thus far. One of my friends who I saw it with liked the first Spiderman movie better, but it was close for him.
  • I saw it today and it was damn good. Robert Downey Jr. did an excellent job as Tony Stark. I would also agree it's one of the best Marvel movies, however X-Men is still better, imo.

Definitely stay after the credits. It makes me wonder/excited for what they will do for a sequel.
  • I was astonished when I heard it was actually good.
  • I was astonished when I heard it was actually good.
    Robert Downey Jr. makes every movie good.
  • I'm probably going to see this next week. I can't wait.
  • edited May 2008
    Yeah, I'll see it with a few friends in 5 days' time. The fact that it is good is just awesome; we were going to see it without knowing what it was like.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Hey you have to figure, any movie featuring a robotic power suit fighting bigger robotic power suits with a multi-million dollar budget, by definition, CAN NOT BE BAD...
  • I super hate the character of Iron Man. I'm not sure how much I could possibly like the movie, no matter how good it is.
  • I super hate the character of Iron Man. I'm not sure how much I could possibly like the movie, no matter how good it is.
    You do not need to like the main character to enjoy a good movie. I liked the Return of the King but I did not like Frodo.
    What did you hate about Iron Man, specifically?
  • What did you hate about Iron Man, specifically?
    Think about it. Look at other, more likeable superheroes. The good ones are all tragic figures. Batman lost his parents. Spider-Man lost his uncle and has no parents.

Iron Man is just a really rich asshole who decided he wanted to fly around saving the day like all the cool kids.
  • Iron Man is just a really rich asshole who decided he wanted to fly around saving the day like all the cool kids.
  • Iron Man is just a really rich alcoholic asshole who decided he wanted to fly around saving the day like all the cool kids.
  • I will say the script balances humor and the Catch-22 of Stark's desire to protect America by making weapons which are, of course, used against America.

Remember the animated Iron Man movie that came out last year? You don't need to. They do the archetypal death/womb/resurrection in the movie's first act (the Afghani caves) and Stark emerges a man who knows he has to change, but spends the rest of the movie figuring out how. Much of the movie's core is running tests, and the final fight builds up quickly and gets executed quickly.

Keeping up with Marvel, I think Tony Stark is the anti-christ, but if they made a Marvel Civil War movie (pray against it) and RDjr played Stark, I would actually sympathize with him. At the end, he was still very witty, humorous and likable in a "at-least-he-gets-his-just-desserts manner. Totally one of my favorite Marvel movies. Nah, in fact, let's say it IS the best Marvel movie in a while. I just hope Hulk can hold up, gonna be tough.
  • edited May 2008
    Think about it. Look at other, more likeable superheroes. The good ones are all tragic figures. Batman lost his parents. Spider-Man lost his uncle and has no parents.

Iron Man is just a really rich asshole who decided he wanted to fly around saving the day like all the cool kids.
    Iron man is kind of tragic. He has shrapnel in his chest and needs to recharge a magnet thing every day or he will die.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited May 2008
    Definitely stay after the credits. It makes me wonder/excited for what they will do for a sequel.
    That one scene has set up five other movies.
    Stark isn't that flat, while he doesn't have the massive tragedy of losing parents in a horrific event he has the constant threat of the electro-magnet in his chest ceasing to work and the shrapnel killing him along with his constant battling with alcoholism. Iron Man is actually one of my personal favourite underwear perverts, along with Batman.

Anyway, I saw the movie Thursday evening and I loved it. I would have to agree that it was the best Marvel movie yet and I now have very high hopes for The Incredible Hulk.

EDIT: I was typing this when the post above was posted.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited May 2008

If we go for what the movie tell us then Tony also lost his parents at a relative early age, he is an alcoholic and he has to live with a thing attached to his chest in order to live. Money does not buy love and he got none on the movie, well maybe a little at the beginning but the end was like oops.

Anyhow, this is a solid movie and what I like the most of it was the interaction between him and his robots, it was very Tezuka-like :D
    Post edited by Erwin on

• Iron Man is just a really rich asshole who decided he wanted to fly around saving the day like all the cool kids.
    That's what makes him great.

That's what makes him great.
    Agreed.
  • I really liked Iron Man, was a very good movie.

Yes Stark is an asshole, but he's a charismatic humorous asshole.
  • Iron Man and Batman are my two favorite superheros because they depend on their own wit and ingenuity not some lame ass superpower that was thrust upon them.

The real motivation for the character is not the fact that he has shrapnel in his chest but the fact that he has been a "merchant of death" for years by developing weapons technology and he must atone for all the people he has indirectly caused to suffer. At least that is the idea I got from the movie.
  • This movie is so awesome ... I'd say along with X-Men (the first one), this is the best Marvel movie yet.
    Iron Man and Batman are my two favorite superheros because they depend on their own wit and ingenuity not some lame ass superpower that was thrust upon them.
    You steal the words from my mouth.
  • I'm liking the direction that Marvel is going with their newer movies. I mean, X-men was good, but I'll be looking forward to "The Incredible Hulk", where Downey will cameo as Tony Stark and the Avengers movie should be interesting.
  • I dunno why I really think this is the best superhero film. I guess the writing was the best aspect of the film, but thats the only thing I can point out. Acting was all quality but it didn't feel anyone stood out enough just cause of the high levels. I love Swingers and Made so the comedy worked for me & deep down a part of me wants to see Vince Vaughn as Stark, LOL... Oh and it did visually look great.

The movie in general was solid with nothing bad, but nothing stood out as memorable. That's the only reason it feels wrong to say this is the best superhero film even though I can't think of better.

BTW I had to youtube the after credits scene... DAMMIT WHY DO THEY DO THAT!!!
  • edited May 2008
    The movie in general was solid with nothing bad, but nothing stood out as memorable. That's the only reason it feels wrong to say this is the best superhero film even though I can't think of better.
    What are you talking about? The first time he flies to the sky, it felt as if I was flying myself. Also he had a very epic landing :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited May 2008

It seemed appropriate for this discussion.
    Post edited by Plahtigoe on
  • The movie in general was solid with nothing bad, but nothing stood out as memorable. That's the only reason it feels wrong to say this is the best superhero film even though I can't think of better.
    What are you talking about? The first time he flies to the sky, it felt as if I was flying myself. Also he had a very epic landing :P
    Haha, yeah. That landing was awesome. I caught the last showing last night and it was awesome! Although during the previews they had a trailer for the next Incredible Hulk movie and it look blah.
    Anyway, Iron Man is the best Marvel movie I've seen. I thought it was funny how Stan Lee played the part of Hugh Heffner. The comedic aspects of the movie was spot on but my favorite character was decidedly his Tachicomas. People who have seen the movie know who I'm talking about.

• It seemed appropriate for this discussion.
    I don't have herpes is the best line ever!
  • Well the flying didn't take my breath away... look great but I didn't feel it as magical. I also tribute the "landings" to the Favreau comedy writing.
  • edited May 2008
    I guess the writing was the best aspect of the film, but thats the only thing I can point out. Acting was all quality but it didn't feel anyone stood out enough just cause of the high levels.
    Actually, a lot of the dialogue in the scenes was improvised by the actors on-set, as far as Wikipedia tells me. When they started shooting, the outline of the story was done, but much of the dialogue wasn't, so Favreau let the actors come up with a lot of it by themselves. For example, the "everyone sit down" part of the first press conference was Downey's idea.
    Post edited by Eryn on