This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kindle

Comments

• The nook looks great. This is one of the rare pieces of gadgetry that I genuinely want.
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, the only complaints I've really seen on BoingBoing are people bitching about how eBooks are mostly DRM'd and the nook will only let you share certain books once for 14 days. However, this is not my concern. It is doubtful I will be purchasing many eBooks (I really just want a slab that can store and display an entire library of manga and PDFs, as well as maintain enough battery life for long-distance treks), and the stuff I want to read can be gotten from Gutenberg and turned into snappy DRM-free PDFs. Other pros: it runs Android, has a small color touchscreen, and has free 3G wireless, as well as a standard WiFi radio. I predict mad hacks based on that alone (Android with an e-ink screen and a color touchscreen just begs for some killer homebrew), and that's what makes the nook even better than the Kindle. If Randall Munroe claims that the Kindle is The Guide, the nook is The Guide with built-in Bistromathic Drive.

Man, hardware lust.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • What kind of scratch are these Nook things selling for? Can't be any less expensive than the Kindle.
  • What kind of scratch are these Nook things selling for? Can't be any less expensive than the Kindle.
    $260. Kindle dropped to the same in response, but the fact is that the nook is better tech and totally (with the exception of store-bought DRM'd data) open. It's looking like the nook is the way to go, especially if your email, docs, calendars, etc. are with Google. Android will make that integration a cinch.

Still trying to work out how I'm going to get one, but I'm pretty sure I'll do it.
  • edited December 2009
    I can't even bring myself to spend a quarter of that amount of money on headphones, despite the fact that it's probably my most-used piece of technology. Although this thing is infinitely better than the Kindle, these eBook readers are still just too steeply priced for me.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I can't even bring myself to spend a quarter of that amount of money on headphones, despite the fact that it's probably my most-used piece of technology. Although this thing is infinitely better than the Kindle, these eBook readers are still just too steeply priced for me.
    Here is my policy on buying extremely useful and nice gadgets: wait it out until they get cheap enough in your price range.
  • Here is my policy on buying extremely useful and nice gadgets: wait it out until they get cheap enough in your price range.
    Uhh shouldn't that be your policy on buying...anything?
  • The Nook likes better than the Kindle to me. I can't stand the keyboard on the Kindle. I own a Sony Reader, but it's the original version and the screen isn't quite as good as the newer screens. The problem is that the difference doesn't really justify a new purchase.
  • Personally, I think this is one of the best e-readers out there, and it's what I have. The nook does look pretty amazing, however.
  • I thought that the Nook was a rebranded item. I could be wrong, though.

For e-readers, there is no better website than Mobileread.
  • edited December 2009
    I pretty much have to get one of these, I think.
    I thought that the Nook was a rebranded item. I could be wrong, though.
    I think you're right -- I remember looking at something a week or two ago that looked exactly the same. It was made by a Korean company, I think.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited December 2009
    I think you're right -- I remember looking at something a week or two ago that looked exactly the same. It was made by a Korean company, I think.
    From what I can tell, this company called Spring Design tried to get an injunction against the Nook, saying that the design was taken from stuff they shared with B&N.; They were denied, though.

Also, I've see a lot of people bawwing about lack of support for certain files (mostly DJVU, MOVI, TXT, and DOC). Not sure there's any cause to worry, as one could probably write an Android plugin to handle whatever file format you wanted.

EDIT: I am crushed that I cannot ask for this for Christmas...At least, not for an "under the tree" present.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Also, I've see a lot of people bawwing about lack of support for certain files (mostly DJVU, MOVI, TXT, and DOC). Not sure there's any cause to worry, as one could probably write an Android plugin to handle whatever file format you wanted.
    I don't know what MOVI is, but you can easily convert DOC and TXT, and probably DJVU to PDF. Not an ideal solution, but I wouldn't mind terribly.
  • I don't know what MOVI
    I meant to say MOBI. It's some mobile reading file type. As for PDF conversion, that's pretty easy with a program like Calibre-- A program which will hopefully soon offer nook support.
  • edited January 2010
    Converting to PDF often does not work well on these devices. You are much better off sticking to a format intended solely for the display of text. With these formats, you can increase the size of the font, which is often the big problem with PDF. It is also hard to get a PDF page to fit on a 6 inch screen. If you do, it's often too difficult to read. I've used a bunch of apps to convert PDF files for the Sony Reader, but nothing is the perfect solution. You can optimize the PDF, but unless it is made specifically for the smaller screen, it's never that great of a result.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Yeah, Nook supports EPUB, so it's just a matter of converting stuff with Calibre.
  • edited January 2010
    I've read some reviews of the Nook, and the slow refresh times are a deal breaker for me. The weight doesn't help, either.

I'm conflicted between the Sony Reader and the Kindle. From a hardware perspective, I like the Sony Reader much better. I can't stand the keyboard on the kindle. 98% of the time, it's a waste of space.

The wireless capability of either machine doesn't matter to me. I have no problem hooking my ereader up to the computer to buy a book.

I actually prefer the smaller Sony Reader (PRS-300), since the touch-screen on the larger one reduces the contrast. IIRC, the PRS-300 does not have wireless, which is fine. Sony is offering a $50 rebate if I trade in my PS-500.

The big problem... Amazon's prices for books are quite often lower. It's disturbing how often Amazon has a cheaper price than Sony. Which swings me back to the kindle.

So really, I wouldn't be happy with either machine. Sony annoys me for book prices and Amazon annoys me for the lousy hardware.

If Amazon came out with an ereader that had the simplistic styling of the Sony, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
  • I'm at the same point as you, Kilarney. I want an ebook reader, but so far none of them are far enough ahead of reading on my iphone that I can justify buying one. Book prices on Amazon are lower, but then I'm locked in to their system. But apparently the software on the Sony reader is terrible, and you have to run other software on your computer just to organize your documents. Unlike Stanza on my iPhone, where I can do it all through my phone, and get in books from anywhere. I'm going to give it another three or four months before I look at buying a reader again, as I'm just not satisfied with what's out there now.
  • edited January 2010
    So.. for the punk student who pirates everything, the Sony Pocket is the way to go?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited January 2010
    The Sony PRS-505 (on ebay) is the way to go. Like me PRS-500, it is fully hackable.

Same for you Luke. There are lots of mods and hacks for the PRS-505.

I haven't stayed up to date on the new Sony Readers, but I suspect that they can't be hacked as easily, from what little I've read. It's one reason I'll be sad to get rid of my PRS-500.
  • You are a student of punk? Awesome!

The answer is yes, by the way.
  • I don't want mods and hacks. I just want to be able to read what I want on my travels, without carrying heavy books.
  • edited January 2010
    I want to scream whenever I see that stupid keyboard on the kindle. It takes two minutes to order a book, and hours to read it. So for almost the entire time you are using the device, they keyboard is a total waste of space. Who came up with that idea?

One reason I am tempted by the PRS-300 is its size. Having owned an ereader for quite some time, I can tell you that size and weight are incredibly important. You will be holding the thing for long periods of time. You want something light and easy to carry around.

I think I'm talking myself into the PRS-300.......... The $50 rebate may just put me over the edge. Hmm... Combat Commander: Mediterranean (from GMT games) or a PRS-300. Tough choice.

One other thing I love about e-readers is the lack of clutter from physical books. I used to be the type of person that wanted to keep every book I ever bought. I had an epiphany one day and released how stupid that was for most of my books. 99% of what I read will never be read again. I don't need book after book clogging my shelves. It was hard to admit, but I'm glad that I did. And now that airlines have absurd weight restrictions for luggage, an e-reader is fantastic for travel.
  • Luke,

I know that there was independent software developed for the Sony Reader. If you don't like Sony's there may be other choices. I haven't kept up to date with the newer readers, though, so I'm not sure if third party software still works. Mobileread.com has a ton of information.
  • One other thing I love about e-readers is the lack of clutter from physical books. I used to be the type of person that wanted to keep every book I ever bought. I had an epiphany one day and released how stupid that was for most of my books. 99% of what I read will never be read again. I don't need book after book clogging my shelves. It was hard to admit, but I'm glad that I did. And now that airlines have absurd weight restrictions for luggage, an e-reader is fantastic for travel.
    Here's a relevant part of a blog post I made last year:
    Second, I outsource my library/bookshelf functions to the Another Country bookshop, which is only a few hundred meters away, and has about 25,000 books. Any book I want I either borrow from there or buy it new from another shop, and then, to avoid clutter at home, donate the new books so borrowing books is free.

Berlin's Another Country bookshop.
    I'll look at Mobileread in a few days time. Thanks for the link.
  • I think I'm going to wait to see what Apple announces this month. If an Apple tablet is not what I'm looking for, I'm going to wait for a kindle without a keyboard. Until that time, my PRS-500 will be just fine.

Now where do I order Combat Commander: Mediterranean? ;-)
  • If an Apple tablet is not what I'm looking for, I'm going to wait for a kindle without a keyboard.
    My only issue is that the tablet is rumored to have a price of about $800. No idea if that's true, but if it is and I have to deal with some bullshit app store, I won't be saving up for that.
  • I agree. For $800, I can buy a laptop. The tablet has to give you something for that $800 in exchange. Particularly, it's got to give you amazing portability coupled with usability. It's going to be a tough sell given the price point. If I'm spending $800 only to have to spend more money on apps and content, it's even less attractive. Still... the word is that Jobs has put a lot of thought into this device. Let's see if he's still got the touch.
  • Let's see if he's still got the touch.
    *rimshot*
  • Bebook, an e-reader manufacturer, is making an announcement at CES in conjuction with Liquavista. Liquavista makes this e-ink technology. If it lives up to the hype, it's a major step forward. It's hard to tell if the first devices will be black and white only, but they do list a color display that is at least in the works.

Watch the video at the end. It's really impressive. I'm going to be watching this one closely.