This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Jazz

2»

Comments

• Sun Ra is not a very good place to start if you want to get into free-jazz unless you're already into experimental or noise music.
    Sun Ra is so delightfully crazy. He claims that he took a "trip to Saturn" while meditating and that cosmic beings told him that he would lead the world out of chaos with his music. He's sort of the Parliament/Funkadelic of jazz.
    Fela Kuti
    Fela Kuti is goddamned incredible. They played Zombie during Nigerian riots.
  • Face-melting noise.
    There's no way this qualifies as jazz.
  • Face-melting noise.
    There's no way this qualifies as jazz.
    Doubtful, yes. Skerik's Syncopated Taint Septet, however...

• Anthony Braxton is jazz as fuck.
    Black Vomit was almost Merzbowesque.
  • Another noise/jazz thing I've been really into lately is Ettrick.
    Black Vomit was almost Merzbowesque.
    Psh, dude, Wolf Eyes are light years better than Merzbow, don't even play.
  • edited January 2010
    Wolf Eyes are light years better than Merzbow, don't even play.
    I'm listening to Rattlesnake Shake right now. Better than Merzbow, and also fucking insane. I have no idea how one is supposed to consume noise music. Even the noise I like, I have no idea how to listen to.

Also, this music makes me feel dead inside.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • There's no way this qualifies as music.
    FTFY

But if it's your thing, that's cool.
  • edited January 2010
    Jesus Christ on a trampoline, I need to cleanse my ears after that.

Post edited by Walker on
  • edited January 2010
    Also, this music makes me feel dead inside.
    I can't really relate to that. Listening to something like Wolf Eyes is euphoric catharsis for me. I put it on when I'm worried or upset, and it wipes every thought out of my head.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Also, this music makes me feel dead inside.
    I can't really relate to that. Listening to something like Wolf Eyes is euphoric catharsis for me. I put it on when I'm worried or upset, and it wipes every thought out of my head.
    See, that's how I feel about a lot of IDM, trance, and house. Especially Aphex Twin, VSnares, and Autechre.
  • I've been listening to this live collab between Anthony Braxton and Wolf Eyes, Black Vomit, a whole lot.
    I brought up this collab while talking about jazz the other night. The next logical question you may ask is, "Was it an attempt to out-pretentious whoever you were talking to?" The answer is a definite yes.
  • Happy birthday. Now I'm in the mood to dance!

• Also, this music makes me feel dead inside.
    See, that's how I feel about a lot of IDM, trance, and house. Especially Aphex Twin, VSnares, and Autechre.
    I just listen to Deadmau5's extended mix of "I Remember".
  • I just listen to Deadmau5's extended mix of "I Remember".
    I have. Many times, in fact.

Happy Birthday, Dizzy!
  • I like that Night in Tunisia, funky.

But where can I find bass like this