This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bad News for Republicans

Comments

• You are absolutely right
    Wow, you are a fucking idiot.
    I agreeing with you makes me a fucking idiot, what does that make you?
  • I agreeing with you makes me a fucking idiot, what does that make you?
    An asshole, but a well-read one. I still don't think you understand what I'm saying though.
  • I still don't think you understand what I'm saying though.
    I'm guessing that it's easy to put history in the wrong context when you don't know what you're talking about.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm guessing that it's easy to put history in the wrong context when you don't know what you're talking about.
    I am so lost, are you being sarcastic or do you honestly not know American history?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited May 2008
    I want to know where Jason is. He always likes to try to make me look like a racist. I wonder why he didn't jump on Steve?
    I've been sick and trying to sleep it off. Also, I called you a bigot, not a racist -- in one thread, not "always." And of course Steve is a racist. That hasn't changed in the last couple of years, has it?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • It's not as simple as that. The Gore campaign wanted a selective recount and not a complete recount of the entire state. A selective recount is hardly fair nor does it "count every vote".
    That's not what a selective recount is. A selective recount means you only recount the districts where there is a problem.

Let's say we are voting, and there are three districts named A, B and C. We count all the votes the first time, and these are the results.

District - Yeah/Nay
    A - 1/5
    B - 4/6
    C - 5/10

Let's pretend there was a problem with voting machines in district C. Why should we wast our time recounting all of the votes from A and B? We leave those votes as they stand, but we recount the 15 votes from district C. The votes from the other district still count, they just don't re-count. A selective recount means you save effort by only recounting the votes in districts where there was a problem, and you keep the original counts of the votes in districts where there were not any problems.

Every vote still counts.
    I still don't think that a selective recount help Gore in the arena of public opinion back in 2000 with the folks. A state wide recount would have been allot better.
  • edited June 2008
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Now see, this is what would count as actual bad news. It's not that someone flip-flopped or didn't wear a flag lapel pin, this is actual bad news for the party.
    "If you have an R in front of your name, you better run scared," said Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.), chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, who says the party will do well if it holds its losses to three or four seats.

The Mississippi race between Democratic former Gov. Ronnie Musgrove and Republican Sen. Roger Wicker distills the wide range of factors that have put congressional Republicans in their weakest position since the Watergate scandal of the 1970s.
    Source.
  • edited August 2008
    Rep. David Davis (R-TN) lost the TN primary on Thursday. He lost even though he was using the current Republican startegy of crying for offshore drilling.

The seat will likely remain in Republican hands, but the primary shows that people aren't going to be willing to have offshore drilling rammed down their throats.
  • You really should get your news from more than one source. If you had you might have found this:
    First District GOP congressional primaries have often been close, especially when there is no incumbent in the race.

In 1996, Bill Jenkins won the primary by 320 votes in an 11-candidate field, and went on to win the General Election easily and serve in the House of Representatives for the next 10 years.

In 2006, when Rep. Jenkins did not run for re-election, Davis captured the Republican nomination by 521 votes district-wide in a 13-candidate field, and cruised to victory in the General Election. Roe came in fourth in the primary that year.

That year, Davis received 22 percent of the total vote, Roe 17 percent.
    Roe/Davis Race Raises Issues On Absentees, Cross-Voting
  • edited August 2008
    Maybe you should learn to read. Your quote says that "First District GOP congressional primaries have often been close, especially when there is no incumbent in the race." There was an incumbent in this race, so that quote isn't relevant. Keep that in mind when you read the first sentence of my article, "Yesterday, Rep. David Davis (R-TN) became the first incumbent Tennessee congressman to lose in a primary in more than four decades."

The important thing about Davis' defeat is the repudiation of the "OMG we must destroy the environment because we need oil at any cost" meme.

You seem to have a major problem with the reading skills. Is English a second language for you? Do you have to read anything for your job? What happens if you have to read a set of directions? I shudder to think what you must have scored on the SAT.

Now, I know you're only "playing a part" and that you admit to doing it badly, so that's all I care to say to you, you sad little troll.
  • Maybe you should learn to read. Your quote says that "First District GOP congressional primaries have often been close, especially when there is no incumbent in the race." There was an incumbent in this race, so that quote isn't relevant. Keep that in mind when you read the first sentence of my article, "Yesterday, Rep. David Davis (R-TN) became the first incumbent Tennessee congressman to lose in a primary in more than four decades.”

The important thing about Davis' defeat is the repudiation of the "OMG we must destroy the environment because we need oil at any cost" meme.

You seem to have a major problem with the reading skills. Is English a second language for you? Do you have to read anything for your job? What happens if you have to read a set of directions? I shudder to think what you must have scored on the SAT.

Now, I know you're only "playing a part" and that you admit to doing it badly, so that's all I care to say to you, you sad little troll.
    Whatever you say Mr. "Not allowing an up or down vote is the same as voting something down". Go back to your system of ignoring when you are wrong rather than admitting to it.

If you did a little more research you would also have found that William L. Jenkins (previous Republican to hold the 1st District spot) ran unopposed in his Republican primaries. What we have hear is a politician who did very well in the previous primary and decided to come back and try again with a smaller field of candidates. Your statement that he lost because of oil drilling is specious at best and only shows your blind allegiance to ideology over thought.

Results prior to 1998 are not readily accessible from the Tennessee website
  • edited August 2008
    If you did a little more research you would also have found that William L. Jenkins (previous Republican to hold the 1st District spot) ran unopposed in his Republican primaries. What we have hear is a politician who did very well in the previous primary and decided to come back and try again with a smaller field of candidates. Your statement that he lost because of oil drilling is specious at best and only shows your blind allegiance to ideology over thought.
    I can't resist just one more -

OMG, you think Jenkins has anything to do with this? You really DO have trouble reading. It's really kind of sad in a way, and probably the main reason why you do so badly in playing your part. Poor Steve. I know you want to act like you're a big man, but you should probably take a course to help you with your reading comprehension.

Remember kids: Stay in school. If you leave too early, your reading, writing, and math skills may atrophy to the point where you can barely use them anymore like poor, sad Steve.

The race was between David Davis and Phil Roe. Jenkins was not in the race. Yes, Roe ran against Davis in 2006 when Jenkins decided not to run, but Roe was thoroughly trounced.

Now, in this district, no one has defeated an incumbent in a primary in many, many years. "The tradition is one of re-electing incumbent congressmen who are always Republicans. Not since 1930, when U.S. Rep. B. Carroll Reece was defeated in the GOP primary, has an incumbent lost a campaign in the 1st Congressional District." Source. During the campaign, Davis tried the "OMFG, we MUST have oil at any cost" meme. The voters didn't buy it. That Davis lost in a district where incumbents are virtually guaranteed to win shows that voters aren't falling for that meme.
  • edited August 2008
    Now, in this district, no one has defeated an incumbent in a primary in forty years. During the campaign, Davis tried the "OMFG, we MUST have oil at any cost" meme. The voters didn't buy it. That Davis lost in a district where incumbents are virtually guaranteed to win shows that voters aren't falling for that meme.
    When (in the last 40 years) has a Republican incumbent faced a primary challenger?

You really should brush up on your reading skills. The article you linked to also has this correction at the end:
    A correction: The last unseating of an incumbent in the 1st Congressional District was in 1950, not 1930 as stated. Thus, challenger Roe would have been born, but at kindergarten age. In 1950, former Rep. B. Carroll Reece -- who vacated the seat to serve two terms as Republican national chairman -- returned to office by defeating then-incumbent Rep. Phillips. Thanks to readers whose historical research was better than mine.
    Tom Humphrey
    It also helps if you reply rather than edit.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Also, if you read the news stories in the local papers Roe did not use Davis's position on off-shore drilling as a campaign issue. No, he used Davis's acceptance of oil PAC money as a campaign issue. Davis also came under attack after it was revealed in June that he obtained a multi-million dollar federal earmark for a top campaign contributor.

It's not about off-shore drilling, it's about influence and money from PACs.
  • edited August 2008
    You really should brush up on your reading skills.
    See kids, in addition to having a reputation for poor reading, writing, and math skills, Steve has a reputation for not being very original. He often just parrots back the last thing he's heard. That led me to suspect for a very long time that he is a 'bot. I'm still not entirely sure that he's not a 'bot since many of the things he says sound like the old ELIZA program.

That's what happens when you leave school too early. Your skills atrophy and you lose the capacity for original thought. Don't be like Steve. Stay in school.
  • You really should brush up on your reading skills.
    See kids, in addition to having a reputation for poor reading, writing, and math skills, Steve has a reputation for not being very original. He often just parrots back the last thing he's heard. That led me to suspect for a very long time that he was a 'bot. I'm still not entirely sure that he's not a 'bot since many of the things he says sound like the oldELIZAprogram.

That's what happens when you leave school too early. Your skills atrophy and you lose the capacity for original thought. Don't be like Steve. Stay in school.
    While Joe is an example of what happens when you live in a world where you are never challenged to back up what you say. Instead of forming a logical rebuttal in a debate he instead tries to belittle the person who is challenging him instead of backing up his position.
  • Hey Steve and Joe, check out Passive-Agressive Notes! It's pretty cool!
  • Hey Steve and Joe, check outPassive-Agressive Notes! It's pretty cool!
    Those guys are pikers.
  • No, I think this is bad news for.......

Obama :-p
  • No, I think this is bad news for.......
    Obama :-p
    Steve?
    :P
  • God, political debate on the forums has really died out, it was all fun and cool when things were close, but is there anything the republicans haven't messed up in the past month? Sure Democrats have been messing up stuff to but not to the same degree. You don't even see HMTKsteve around defending conservatives at this point.

However, it is disappointing that good old fashion debate has been lacking on the political front.

Quick someone say something stupid!
  • Ok ok,

Someone say something stupid about politics :-p
  • Someone say something stupid about politics :-p
    McCain is going to win!

That's about as stupid a comment I can make on the subject.
  • This is more humorous than stupid, but my coworkers are saying that "Fight" is the new "Maverick".
  • Oh Oh, better topic..

Name something the republicans have done right in the last 8 years?
    edited October 2008
    Someone say something stupid about politics :-p
    George W. Bush was the best thing to happen to the United States of America since we kicked out the English you bloody Liberal!
    Name something the republicans have done right in the last 8 years?
    Republican scale: Start a war.
    Normal scale: Nothing.
    Post edited by ... on