This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Warhammer 40k 5th Edition

124»

Comments

• The problem is that the plastic molds are ENORMOUSLY expensive and they only get a few thousand presses out of each one (and even then the quality of the molds starts degrading significantly well before they stop using them). That's why so many kits are based on common models and they have no problem with making a game that basically requires players to double and triple down on models to make them effective.

However I would hazard a guess that their main problem is that they are poorly run and out of touch and that the cost of materials is a secondary problem.
  • Actually, GW's plastic kits are much easier to modify than the metal models. I'm a big fan of their plastic kits.

But when you make your plastic kits more expensive than metal, well, fuck you.
  • I'm hearing the resin is actually harder to sculpt and work with than the old plastic kits.
  • I'm hearing the resin is actually harder to sculpt and work with than the old plastic kits.
    Yeah, resin is a bit of a bitch to work with.
  • Have any of you tried the new skirmish game Mercs?

It looks pretty neat, I just wonder how it plays.
  • Have any of you tried the new skirmish game Mercs?

It looks pretty neat, I just wonder how it plays.
    I see the UCR booster is a member of the ministry of silly walks: Power Armour Division.
  • I really want to get back into tabletop gaming, I really do. But I just can't bring myself to play with the mouth breathers at the local game shops. If I play, it needs to be with a friend who just happens to be interested in wargames as well.
  • Maybe I'll actually finish painting all of my armies this summer.

We'll see.

Right now, I've decided that I'm not buying any more GW models. I already pirated all of the books, so now they're not getting any money from me at all.
  • edited May 2011
    I am sad I never before actually read the beginning of this thread. All this time this perfect gem was just laying there that but a spit shine would make it one of the most valuable stones ever.
    I've heard they are removing True Grit which will completely fuck up my Grey Knights. They are already the weakest army in the game :(
    What else did you expect from the only pre-painted codex?
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
  • I basically have four hundred or so guardsmen to paint still, so I don't think a price increase will change my Warhammer habits; I'm pretty much set.

I've basically mastered the "Have more guys then they have dice" approach. Nothing like dropping 250 soldiers on the field in huge 50 man mobs and just swarming all over the objectives.
  • This new resin "Finecast" model, which is just a normal 28mm model costs $20 US. ONE DUDE!
  • This new resin "Finecast" model, which is just a normal 28mm model costs $20 US. ONE DUDE!
    Also, the Finecast models have severe structural defects, flashing, and mold errors, and yet GW is still charging more than metal for them.

I'm finishing my army with plastic kits and then never buying another 40k product until the price normalizes. Also, I refuse to shop in GW stores anymore. My game group and I are starting up a game of Infinity and Heavy Gear Blitz soon; we'll see where that takes us.
  • edited September 2013
    so its a story about every single Warhammer 40K tournament ever then.
    The tournament officials declared that Shooter's interpretation of the rules was technically correct and granted him the victory.
    The best kind of correct!
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Could that be done in Netrunner...
  • I have done this before, almost exactly!

I play an infantry-heavy Imperial Guard army with lots of scout support, modeled after a Napoleonic-era army of redcoats. In an average game I deploy upward of a hundred and fifty guardsmen.

So I go up against this all deep-strike Demon army in a tournament. Demons were pretty OP for a while so there was a lot of frustration going around the tournament, and in a conventional match I woulda lost hands-down; i have packed ranks of infantry, he has flamers of tzeentch and close combat assholes.

But I did have two units of stormtroopers and three units of sentinels, which all have the "Scout" special rule, like the Kroot from that battle. So I very carefully spread them out over the field, and then utterly packed my deployment zone with troops. Then on my turn, I advanced a little and basically completely occupied my half of the table.

The result was that there was basically nowhere safe to deep strike. He either had to come down a terrain piece (and risk losing the unit) or take his chances in extremely small gaps of the field. His turn basically consisted of him rolling to deploy guys, losing a few, and eventually getting one or two units down at a time. Not only were they coming down staggered, but usually in places where they had little tactical value, so I could focus all my firepower on them. I got away with losing three storm troopers and a sentinel and wiped him out.

And then ran into the ork army next game who beat me at my own mass tactics game, but that match was totally sweet so no hard feelings at all.