This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ted Kennedy

edited May 2008 in Politics
With the news of Ted Kennedy having a malignant brain tumor do you think he should step down from the Senate?

The governor of MA is a Democrat so the seat would not be switching parties if the gov. appointed someone to fill the vacancy and it might be far out enough to allow someone else to run for the seat in November.

Comments

• I don't think that there should be pressure for him to do anything at this point.
  • I think he's earned the right to do as he pleases.
  • The Kennedy Curse strikes again!
  • The Kennedy Curse strikes again!
    What, people die? Yeah, more like the curse of life.
  • edited May 2008
    The Kennedy Curse strikes again!
    What, people die? Yeah, more like the curse of life.
    That was very metal of you.

EDIT: Also, I say he should continue serving until he is physically incapable. Alternatively, he can serve as long as he damn well pleases. A malignant tumor doesn't necessarily mean you can't be a senator.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • EDIT: Also, I say he should continue serving until he is physically incapable. Alternatively, he can serve as long as he damn well pleases. A malignant tumor doesn't necessarily mean you can't be a senator.
    Unless it inhibits your decision making ability.
  • EDIT: Also, I say he should continue serving until he is physically incapable. Alternatively, he can serve as long as he damn well pleases. A malignant tumor doesn't necessarily mean you can't be a senator.
    Unless it inhibits your decision making ability.
    Well, yes. That's what I meant with the "physically incapable" bit; when the brain tumor starts having an actual impact on decision-making abilities, he should step down. Don't force him down till then.
  • There's a non-zero chance they can remove it and he'll be fine. His chances are actually pretty good, as I'm sure he'll have the best doctors in the world.
  • There's a non-zero chance they can remove it and he'll be fine. His chances are actually pretty good, as I'm sure he'll have the best doctors in the world.
    Yeah, it's not like the Kennedy's are strapped for cash or anything.

Ted Kennedy shouldn't be a senator because he is a murderer, not because he has a brain tumor. If any of us had done that, we would be in prison.
  • edited May 2008
    . . . and the award for most boringly predictable and stereotypical example of inappropriate, tone-deaf conservative hate goes to . . . WallyBman!

Classy with a "K".
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I hadn't realized so many GeekNights forum goers lived in Massachusetts. :)
  • Seriously, it's not like there isn't another Kennedy ready to take up the spot. His younger son is a congressman and his older son might run for office. There will always be more Kennedys ready.
  • edited May 2008
    Inappropriate? What, too soon? Yeah, I imagine it isn't too soon for the family of that girl who were looking forward to a grandchild. And you can't expect me to believe that if any of us got all good and liquored up and killed a woman, one of us would be able to hold an elected position. The only reason he is still in politics is his family name. And don't try to make me feel bad for besmirching the "good" name "Kennedy."
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • Inappropriate? What, too soon? Yeah, I imagine it isn't too soon for the family of that girl who were looking forward to a grandchild. And you can't expect me to believe that if any of us got all good and liquored up and killed a woman, one of us would be able to hold an elected position. The only reason he is still in politics is his family name. And don't try to make me feel bad for besmirching the "good" name "Kennedy."
    That's what I like to see - that famous conservative Christian tolerance, forgiveness and love. Who would Jesus waterboard?
  • It's a bastardization of the "Golden Rule".

Instead of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" it is read as "Do unto others as they do unto you." The misguided idea is that if someone else treats you like crap they must also want to be treated like crap.
  • My heart goes out to the Senator Kennedy's family. Regardless of how you feel about him as a person, it is simply cretinous to disparage their grief.
  • Inappropriate? What, too soon? Yeah, I imagine it isn't too soon for the family of that girl who were looking forward to a grandchild. And you can't expect me to believe that if any of us got all good and liquored up and killed a woman, one of us would be able to hold an elected position. The only reason he is still in politics is his family name. And don't try to make me feel bad for besmirching the "good" name "Kennedy."
    I agree.
  • My heart goes out to the Senator Kennedy's family. Regardless of how you feel about him as a person, it is simply cretinous to disparage their grief.
    I agree. I would much rather see Ted Kennedy go down in defeat at the ballot box than go down because of this.

Kennedy has done damn good work for the Democratic party. I have no doubt that some of the things he has done to advance the rights of woman have been done to assuage his guilty conscience over the events of that night on the bridge.

I may disagree with Ted Kennedy's politics (same as I do with Joe) but I would never wish personal hardship on another just because I disagree with them.
  • I may disagree with Ted Kennedy's politics (same as I do with Joe) but I would never wish personal hardship on another just because I disagree with them.
    Even Hitler? XD
  • I may disagree with Ted Kennedy's politics (same as I do with Joe) but I would never wish personal hardship on another just because I disagree with them.
    Even Hitler? XD
    But didn't we say he agreed with Hitler?
  • edited May 2008
    I may disagree with Ted Kennedy's politics (same as I do with Joe) but I would never wish personal hardship on another just because I disagree with them.
    Even Hitler? XD
    But didn't we say he agreed with Hitler?
    I can't believe that this thread has already run afoul of Godwin.
  • I can't believe that this thread has already run afoul of Godwin.
    Better that than crazy Kennedy conspiracy theories.
  • edited May 2008
    Yeah, crazy Kennedy conspiracy theories get a bit old.

And I have very little compassion for a group that rallies around its murderers and rapists. The Kennedys can shed their crocodile tears, but it doesn't make them better than me.

And My golden rule is the standard "do unto others," but once someone becomes a rapist or murderer, my personal ethics would be satisfied with seeing them put down like a rabid dog so that they cannot do unto others again. Once someone turns down that road, they stop being an "other" in my eyes.

And before anyone else decides to try to use tenets of my Christian faith against me, the original Hebrew wording of the sixth commandment is much closer to condemning murder, not killing.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Wow, Wally aren't you a bit of a heartless bastard. A man is sick, the point is not for you to be an ass and remind us of what he may have done. It doesn't really matter. He's done a lot of good work in his (according to some) and is a respected member of the senate. Don't celebrate in someone's illness. I expect that out of Fox News not this forum.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm not celebrating his illness, I'm saying he shouldn't have been allowed to live long enough to suffer from his illness.

And I have a heart. It just doesn't beat for a murderer.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • Even Hitler? XD
    What about Stalin?
  • edited May 2008
    TheKennedyscan shed their crocodile tears, but it doesn't make them better than me.
    "Crocodile tears"? Do you not think that they have any feelings about a deathly ill family member? "Better than you"? Sounds like you have some deep issues.
    And I have a heart. It just doesn't beat for a murderer.
    I guess you don't like Laura Bush very much, then.