This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Genius Bar

edited June 2006 in Technology
Let this be the Mac help thread.

I pose a question to experienced Mac laptop users: knowing that holding the trackpad button for a second is right-click (or double-tap with a Macbook or Pro 17")...is there a nifty way of middle-clicking? That would certainly make Firefox easier to use.

Also, does anyone else have a MacbookPro (Intel Core Duo)? Is your trackpad ultra-sensitive to interference from your palms or other stressors? Mine sure is.

I yield to your wisdom and expertise, Mac users.

Comments

• Another (and quicker) way to right-click is just by holding down the "Ctrl" button while clicking.

Being a Mac-user for the better part of my computer-using life, I'm not familiar with what functions a middle button could possibly have. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
  • If you're using a Logitech mouse, the drivers for logitech are very nice and let you customize your mouse. I've got a 4-button mouse and I've got them set up thusly:
    Left Click: Click
    Right Click: Ctrl Click
    Wheel: Scroll and activate expose. You set the button to be mouse button 3 in logitech and then mouse button 3 as an alternate activation for expose.
    Thumb button: Command-Click, open in new tab.

Ken, I think the command click is what you where looking for, right? Opening up a link in a new tab? Simple tip for anybody just joining us on a mac, if you use command (the little apple key) as a modifier to entering a web address or a link, it will open up in a new tab.

The option key is used to automatically download.
  • That's one of the major reasons I can't use mac. Stupid apple key and control key in the wrong places. HHK for the win.

http://pfuca-store.stores.yahoo.net/
  • On the powerbook (as well as a lot of other laptops), the function key is where control is usually, which is more annoying. Actually I ended up getting rid of capslock and making that a second control key. Starting in 10.4 you don't even need an extension to do that, the native keyboard driver configuration makes it easy.

As for the location of the command key, I have found that the combination of control in the capslock position, and command key by the spacebar is much more comfortable. Both of these keys positions are much easier to hit in combinations, the pinky doesn't need to stretch to hit the control and the thumb doesn't move far to hit the command key.

Definitely HHK for the win on the PC, as it also puts the control key where capslock usually is.
  • I think my biggest gripe that I have had on the mac, is that the command-tab to switch between applications is nothing like on windows and linux. On the mac it literally switches between applications, so if you have two firefox windows open it will not cycle between both of them. Same thing for multiple terminals. The terminal program has a command-left and command-right to move between terminals but I have to think more about doing this. Many times I will use command tab intending to switch between terminals only to be switched back to firefox. As far as I know there is no way to change this behaviour either.

Best you can get is the keyboard shortcuts for expose, which will allow me to quickly show all windows for one app, or for all apps, but then I have to move to the mouse to actually select a different window.
  • Command-Tab to switch applications.
    Command-Tilde to switch windows within an application.
    That way if you're in a Firefox mindset you don't actually cmd-tab into iTunes or Terminal even though you may have selected a new playlist or run a script right before you went back to your surfing.

The only thing I'd really like is a cmd-*something* to switch between tabs on Firefox/Safari
  • control+tab switches tabs in firefox. control+shift+tab switches tabs in firefox in the opposite direction. At least on Linux/Windows. IIRC they standardized the firefox keyboard shortcuts across all platforms for Firefox 1.0. It really bothered me because ctrl+k and ctrl+j were switched on Linux to match Windows. I had to get used to a whole new shortcut.
  • Command+Shift and either the left/right arrow or the brackets will move you across tabs in Safari/Firefox. You need to use the tab if you're in a text edit window.
  • Does anyone know if iTunes is able to have in its library files that reside on nonlocal media, such as Samba or NFS shares?
  • I know that it is possible, just tell iTunes not to consildate your library and it will leave things where it finds them.
    Another option is to move the library itself to a shared drive, and I do not know how to do that, because it involves the creation of some kind of funky link.

I've got my BSG that I bought stored on a USB drive, and given the way the OS handles drives and file shares, I think it would work the exact same way.
  • OMG Thank you Phantasos. Of course, now I have to keep myself from hitting the tab key when going for the tilde, but I have been wondering what that shortcut is since I bought this thing ^_^.

As for iTunes music, I thought you could just use the advanced preferences to set the location of the music folder. Though, I haven't tried to do this to a shared drive. This is because on a laptop I don't want to have my itunes unusable when I take it on the road ;p.

IMO, this is one feature where itunes really lacks. Actually there is two features that it lacks that piss me off. I turned off the automatic consolidate so that I can manage where different music is. What I don't like is that:

1) You can tell it to consolidate the library, but I don't know a way to have it consolidate only selected songs in the library (IE, have a music library on a server, add some songs from it, then choose a subset and have it import those locally, perhaps even with a way to undo this action later since the songs are still on the server).

2) It does not have a way to have playlists be limited by where the files are located, so your playlist might have a lot of songs that are non-local. While it will happily try to play those and skip over them if it can't, it can be annoying to try to figure out which songs are local and which aren't.

I haven't tried this yet, but I do believe if you have a part of your library residing on a server connection, and you have any passwords/etc saved for that connection, iTunes will auto-mount that drive (or at least attempt to) when playing the songs.
  • edited June 2006
    With my plans to get a notebook this summer I've been giving this idea of non-local music storage a lot of thought. Right now I've got all my media on an external drive but if the drive is ever unplugged and you start iTunes it forgets where everything is supposed to live.
    The solution may lie in a new piece of software I learned about yesterday. It's called SlingShot and it keeps track and syncronizes folders and playlists across multiple machines. That way my desktop with the mass storage can have everything I own but my notebook would only pull playlists for new podcasts and highly rated music. I don't know if it'll work for your situation since it sounds like it requires two machines but it might.

PS-Kept thinking on the problem while I wrote that post and I realized something. As long as you can mount a drive on your desktop you can point iTunes at it for your library location. Like I said earlier you'll have to make sure it's always attached or else you'll have to reimport but if you can swing that there's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep everything on a NAS.
    Post edited by Phantasos on
  • I see a NAS in our future.