This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Equus with Daniel Radcliffe on Broadway

Adam and I tentatively plan to Equus in New York. I thought it might be something the GeekNights community is interested. I know a lot of people are only interested because it is Daniel Radcliffe, but it is an excellent show, and deserves the attention.

Comments

• edited May 2008
    I couldn't watch that even if I tried. I couldn't even finish reading it. I just can't get past what he does. I know that it's not the entire point of the play, and I like to think of myself as pretty tolerant, but what he did is just unforgivable.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • For once my years of Latin education pay off! It's about horses, isn't it?
  • What he did is meant to be unforgivable. It is a condemnation of the way religion has continually forced humans to fight against their nature own nature, and how it pushes him to do something so far outside of all that is right, good and just. If the show is staged as it is meant to be (per the author), then there are no real horses (nor anything that even comes close to a real horse) is ever on stage (just people with big horse masks).
  • I actually wish I still lived in NYC so that I could see this. I thought Equus was a fantastic play, and I'd be interested in seeing if Radcliffe is enough of an actor to pull off the part.
  • What he did is meant to be unforgivable. It is a condemnation of the way religion has continually forced humans to fight against their nature own nature, and how it pushes him to do something so far outside of all that is right, good and just. If the show is staged as it is meant to be (per the author), then there are no real horses (nor anything that even comes close to a real horse) is ever on stage (just people with big horse masks).
    Yeah, I get that. I'm saying that I can't get past the act. It's hard for me to even think about it. I had to deal with too many sick animals, including horses, on the farm to deal with this play. The only thing that helps me through it when someone writes about it or talks about it is the realization that, in reality, the first horse he hurt would have caused such a ruckus that he wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near the others.
  • edited May 2008
    What he did is meant to be unforgivable. It is a condemnation of the way religion has continually forced humans to fight against their nature own nature, and how it pushes him to do something so far outside of all that is right, good and just. If the show is staged as it is meant to be (per the author), then there are no real horses (nor anything that even comes close to a real horse) is ever on stage (just people with big horse masks).
    Hmm... and here I thought HungryJoe was talking about December Boys...

As for my own feelings. I know they don't use a real horse on stage, I'm pretty sure Daniel Radcliffe has a nude scene, and I'm fine with it, even if he is associated with a family movie series. Hopefully, this will keep him from being a... one trick pony! *rimshot*
    What he did is meant to be unforgivable. It is a condemnation of the way religion has continually forced humans to fight against their nature own nature, and how it pushes him to do something so far outside of all that is right, good and just. If the show is staged as it is meant to be (per the author), then there are no real horses (nor anything that even comes close to a real horse) is ever on stage (just people with big horse masks).
    Yeah, I get that. I'm saying that I can't get past the act. It's hard for me to even think about it. I had to deal with too many sick animals, including horses, on the farm to deal with this play. The only thing that helps me through it when someone writes about it or talks about it is the realization that, in reality, the first horse he hurt would have caused such a ruckus that he wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near the others.
    Didn't realize you were so sensitive to animals, HJ. My advice to you is stay the hell away from The Goat.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited May 2008
    Didn't realize you were so sensitive to animals, HJ.
    If you ever heard a horse scream or saw a horse die, you'd never be able to bear thinking about anything bad happening to a horse.
    My advice to you is stay the hell away from The Goat.
    I don't even want to know. We had goats too. In a way, goats are even more sympathetic than horses, because they generally like people a lot more.

Now, if there was a play about someone abusing a hog, I wouldn't mind. Hogs don't have any redeeming qualities. Similiarly, I don't shed many tears for chickens, cattle, or sheep.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Whenever I see those Sarah Mclachlan ASPCA commercials on TV I have to change the channel. I support my local animal shelters but I just can't watch those commercials.
  • edited May 2008
    If you ever heard a horse scream or saw a horse die, you'd never be able to bear thinking about anything bad happening to a horse.
    We lived in a rural area and my grandparents have a fairly large farm. Unfortunately, I was witness to what happens when someone doesn't keep their fences in good condition and their horse runs into the road. I can see the sensitivity there and I empathize.
    Whenever I see those Sarah Mclachlan ASPCA commercials on TV I have to change the channel. I support my local animal shelters but I just can't watch those commercials.
    Yeah, and they run it often on BBC America - it makes it difficult to watch Doctor Who.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited May 2008
    I read both Equus and The Goat (Are you talking about the Albee play, The Goat or Who is Sylvia?) and those scenes where there is animal cruelty are meant to be shocking. The fact that the main character blinds the horses is meant to horrify you, to show you how screwed up he is. It makes me upset, too, but then again it is supposed to.

edit: I like both horses and goats a lot. I'm glad that you like the ani-mules, Joe.
    Post edited by gomidog on