This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hippie myths

2»

Comments

• I don't think locally grown food is environmentally friendly.

http://skepticblog.org/2009/05/28/the-fallacy-of-locally-grown-produce/
    ORGANIC farming isn't necessarily environmentally friendly. It would seem that it is (fewer pesticides and so forth), but organic farming is less efficient and thus requires more space to produce the same volume of food.

Locally grown food is awesome. You don't need to get everything local, but you should try to get it wherever possible. Sustainable agriculture is key, and the best way to get that is to support your local farmer.

Don't get me wrong. I love Skeptoid, but this is not how you structure an argument. What I get out of this post is that you listened to this one episode of Skeptoid and uncritically accepted his opinion as fact without doing research on your own, a practice Brian Dunning himself advices against. Basically it is the same as another person showing up, declaring that locally grown food is environmentally friendly and then posting a link to something that supports him.

Don't get me wrong. I love Skeptoid, but this is not how you structure an argument. What I get out of this post is that you listened to this one episode of Skeptoid and uncritically accepted his opinion as fact without doing research on your own, a practice Brian Dunning himself advices against. Basically it is the same as another person showing up, declaring that locally grown food is environmentally friendly and then posting a link to something that supports him.
    Thanks for the links. I think I should explain myself. I was on the forum, saw this thread, and remembered the Skeptoid. I was wondering about the questions the article raises. I should also say that I know that my post was not an argument. I don't know anything about this, so it would be stupid of a punk kid like me to pick a fight. I am currently busy working on something else that is going to keep me busy for a week or two and didn't have time to start the research. I read the forum occasionally and know that if someone posts something, within a day a response will be given. The question was bothering me so I decided to post. It would have taken me months to get to that ted talk that Scott linked to if I was going watching the list of the talks I downloaded the way I normally watch them. Now I have a place to start when I do finally get around to looking this up. I do apologize for the one line and then the link, I was in a hurry.

Chaosof99 in your last post I think you meant advises, not advices.
  • I knew a bunch of these things intuitively, but now I can tout them as fact. I took a lot of this into consideration when I go my new job. I have a small apartment that's cheap to heat and cool (I used just 350 KW/hrs in June). My car sits most of the work week as I walk the half a mile to work and the grocery store. I actually drove to work today because I was late and found the time it takes me to get my car out of the garage, drive to work, and park in the garage there is the same amount of time it takes me to walk. I avoid beef these days and eat mostly chicken or pork for my meat, and I eat a lot less of that than I used too (health issues, I haz them.)