This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need tech help! My computer at work is quarantined

edited May 2008 in Technology
Since work at college has been slow lately, I've been using my work computer to play games and download music and stuff and now the tech people caught on and quarantined my computer. I can only visit the main campus website now and if I try to go anywhere else, I get the "this computer has been quarantined" message. None of my online games can connect to their servers anymore and my torrents wont download. Is there any way to bypass this quarantine? So far I'm safe since I'm the only one who uses that computer and no one else knows yet but if I have to call the tech people to fix it my boss might know and that would be bad. I'd be happy to just be able to surf the web at this point. Help please?

Comments

• You're screwed.
  • edited May 2008
    How do you know that your boss doesn't know? May I ask what you do for work?

How are you safe since you're the only one that uses that computer? That only points more to you doing something you shouldn't have been doing instead of working.

Your boss is going to find out. You're more than likely going to be in trouble.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Is there any way to bypass this quarantine?
    Use a computer on another network, preferably from home.
  • Sorry dude, all one can do is point and laugh.

I mean, what the hell were you thinking? Playing games at work?! As to explain why your games no longer connect or your torrents don't work. They get that same quarantined message. I hope you'll learn something from this.
  • If you see any pink paper on your desk, run....
  • If you see any pink paper on your desk, run....
    Furthermore, if the job doesn't make you do anything, quit and get a better one.
  • Opening up a work computer to key loggers and other nasties. Nice job.......

Why didn't you read company policy? Your lucky they didn't fire you and most places I have worked at would have fired you on the spot.
  • edited May 2008
    I mean, what the hell were you thinking? Getting caught playing games at work?!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If you were playing games on one of my employer's systems and I were the one who figured it out, I would personally deliver you your pink slip. Don't expect to use them as a reference.
  • Is that the whole message?
  • Try crying and begging for forgiveness. That tends to work. Otherwise, you're screwed, dood.
  • I work at a lab and there are lots of downtime while experiments are being run. There's literally nothing I can do while I wait for the chemicals to mix so I installed some games. Then while playing said games I like to listen to music. I think they caught on when I accidentally left a torrent on after I left and didn't notice till I went back to work a few days later. I think I have a plan though. The quarantine page list possible reasons why I might be quarantined. While one of the reasons state that it could be due to incorrect usage of the network under their usage policy, which is what I would fall under, another reason says that they quarantine a computer if theres a virus on it. My plan is simple: install a virus on said computer and then show my boss. This way, she'll think that the quarantine is from the virus! Since I'm not the only one who uses the computer, the virus could be from the carelessness of anyone. I am, however, the only person using it that would install games and use torrents though, so by blaming it on the virus they can't know that its me. Muwahahaha!
  • ... right.

Well, good luck with that.
  • edited May 2008
    Here's an idea: Get a computer for home. Then you won't have a boss restricting how much malware you can install at home.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • This way, she'll think that the quarantine is from the virus!
    You probably already have a virus from doing all that torrenting and such.
  • There's literally nothing I can do while I wait for the chemicals to mix so I installed some games.
    Read a book?
  • Get an old laptop and install some retro games. Or buy a DS.
  • You guys are rough.
  • edited May 2008
    You guys are rough.
    Yeah really. Especially since because absolutely none of you have played games at work or school before...
    You probably already have a virus from doing all that torrenting and such.
    With all your tech knowledge, you should realize how noobish that statement is. Seriously, if you're not a dumbass (though apparently most of you think this guy is), you won't get viruses from torrenting stuff.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • You guys are rough.
    Yeah really. Especially since because absolutelynoneof you have played games at work or school before...
    I agree. He doesn't need to have this much additional grief heaped on an already bad situation.
    My plan is simple: install a virus on said computer and then show my boss.
    Please don't do that. Right now, they could just be cross that you were slightly negligent and lazy. If you intentionally cause actual harm to the computer, the severity of the penalties awaiting you will sharply increase.
  • With all your tech knowledge, you should realize how noobish that statement is. Seriously, if you're not a dumbass (though apparently most of you think this guy is), you won't get viruses from torrenting stuff.
    Practically every executable file I've ever torrented has contained a virus or trojan of some kind.
  • So, I don't condone this solution, but having worked with/written a network access control before, there is a simple solution that will completely bypass most NACs: assign your computer a static IP address in the same subnet as the one it gets via DHCP.

You're probably right about what got you isolated from the network; playing games won't trip most NACs, but excessive bandwidth consumption via torrenting frequently will. It's also possible the university got a C&D order regarding your download.
  • So far I'm safe since I'm the only one who uses that computer
    My plan is simple: install a virus on said computer and then show my boss. This way, she'll think that the quarantine is from the virus! Since I'm not the only one who uses the computer, the virus could be from the carelessness of anyone. I am, however, the only person using it that would install games and use torrents though, so by blaming it on the virus they can't know that its me. Muwahahaha!
    I have a feeling he is not telling the truth since his story changed. You're better off not doing anything extra to the computer. Just tell your boss that your computer doesn't work and claim ignorance, but don't expect to get away with any more foolishness.
  • I have a feeling he is not telling the truth since his story changed.
    I noticed that too, but meh, it still means he can't continue fucking around on the network at his work.
  • Installing a virus is certainly a bad strategy...
    If the boss knows / finds out the real reason you got quarantined, and you're going on with your virus BS, that would be BAD.
  • That is the stupidest plan ever. It's like popping a tire on your car, so you dynamite the transmission. Even if your plan might work (which I doubt, since they probably have the reason for your quarantine written in a database somewhere), you could cause serious harm to the other computers. What if the virus gets off your machine and onto another computer before your brilliant plan comes to fruition?
  • There's literally nothing I can do while I wait for the chemicals to mix so I installed some games.
    Get some exercise - do some push-ups or go for a walk. Talk with your coworkers. Learn to play a [portable] musical instrument.
  • What I meant was that I'm the only one assigned to that computer but occasionally others use it to check on a certain file. So if theres anything permanent installed it has to be from me but if a virus got on I might not be me. Either way, I was only have joking about the virus thing. My realistic 3 options now are

1) Suck it up, tell my boss, apologize, call tech place and fix it. <-- last resort
    2) Follow belarm's tip and change the Static IP
    3) Buy a wireless USB card and connect via wireless instead of the cable
    4) Show my boss but pretend complete ignorance

And all that stuff about getting a laptop from home? I might as well tell my boss that I'm going to be negligent at work beforehand if I do that. The whole point of doing it on the work computer is so I can pretend like i'm doing work. Using my own laptop would be much harder to hide. And stop pretending you guys have never done stuff non-work related during school/work. Furthermore, there is definitely no maleware on the computer, i'm sure the NAC just tripped from me leaving the torrents on.
  • 1) Suck it up, tell my boss, apologize, call tech place and fix it. <-- last resort</p>
    Grow some balls and suck up your pride. All the other choices will get you in even more trouble than you are now. There is no way you can avoid this so don't even try.
  • edited May 2008
    executable file
    download music
    I'm not seeing the correlation. Last I checked, exe != mp3...<_
    Post edited by Dkong on