This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym's Name Kanji

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
The name I came up for for Rym was 利慶, which can be read RII-MU or TOSHIYOSHI, which is an old fashioned samurai kind of name. He rejoices in his advantage, I guess.

利 (刀) リ, き.く, N: かが, と, とし, のり, み, りい
profit, advantage, benefit
慶 (心) ケイ, よろこ.び, N: き, きよん, け, みち, む, やす, よし
jubilation, congratulate, rejoice, be happy

Mine is 絵美 (Emi) and my Japanese last name is 谷村, Tanimura, which is a straight up translation of my last name。谷村絵美is me as a Japanese person.

絵 (糸) カイ, エ
picture, drawing, painting, sketch
美 (羊) ビ, ミ, うつく.しい, N: はる, よし, よしみ, り
beauty, beautiful

Anyone have their own? What about for Scott? Remember, it can't just phonetic, it has to be relevant kanji. Share, please!

Comments

• I don't have anything to share, but my question is what program can you use to show kanji or any of the kanas on Firefox or IE? It pretty much shows up at questions marks.

Thanks to any help given.
  • I remember someone telling me that the Kanji for my name is: "Truth, Hope, Will, Reality, Reason, Peace". But the problem is that the "Hope" part varies if instead of transcribing Maximilian as Makishimirian you transcribe it as Makushimirian. It would then be "Truth, Air, Will, Reality, Reason and Peace". ^^
  • マークはいい。
    edited May 2008
    As I told in the other thread about the show where Rym brought up your self-assigned task of finding out his name in kanji, my nickname consists of the kanji for nine (kyu) and my real names starts with the kanji for two (ni)... In the case of my real name, that might actually be fitting, if the rest of my (short) name results in something along the lines of "personalities". *sigh*

Say, is there any decent way of finding out a way to write one's name in kanji without having any knowledge of Japanese?

EDIT: Omnutiaaaa! Translation and meaning please.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited May 2008
    I would have used 里 for Ri, just because it looks like a computer (at least that's how I learned it).

My real name is Stefan. However, I am not going to try and find any Kanji for them since I am not japanese :P
    I'll just put it in katakana ステファン

Edit: Oh yeah, to make this thread a bit more tangible for other people, I recommend the Rikaichan Firefox extension
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I like 利慶. としよし is a very cool sounding name.

Hmm... I suppose I would be 月岡余所「つきおか」(moon hill) 「よしょ」(another place, a different or strange place).

It doesn't match my last name, but Italian last names translate to ugly Japanese names. Case in point: 牧人「ぼくじん」(shepherd, sheep breeder) In Italian, my last name (pecora) literally means sheep. We were shepherds.

I picked 月岡 primarily because of my admiration for 月岡芳年, the last Ukiyo-e master. I learned about him quite a bit when my mom taught at RISD.
  • 私は中国人からほんどかんじのおなまえがありますよ。 私のかんじおなまえは 林学生。

Literally, 林 means forest and 学生 means student. I like to see it as "student of the forest." In other words, I'm a Druid. :) The name isn't of Japanese origin, since I'm chinese but they share many Kanji together. My friends find it funny that Chinese names have meanings to them but since Chinese does not contain "letters" then you have to name a person based on actual words. Its equivalent to if an American was named "Tree" or "Grass" or "Rock." Though names are actually words, Chinese people don't really think of them that way.
  • My first name translates to 安堵竜 : アンドリュウ : Andoryuu : Andrew

安堵 : relief
    竜 : dragon

I believe that would translate close to a dragon of relief or something of that sort.

My last name does not translate very... well in my favor I guess. It translates to "little bottle". My Japanese friends got quite a kick out of that when they found that out.
  • Well, my first name comes from the meaning "Red Clay" or "Red Earth". Pre-married last name apparently means "Woody Meadow". I don't know my kanji well enough to "translate" them.
    Post married name means, well...