This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Vintage geekery photos

jccjcc
edited May 2008 in Art!
I like old photos. I like various geekeries. So here's a thread for combining the two. :)

Add 'em as you find 'em.

Comments

Does this count?
  • Ooh, this is good stuff. Let's keep this thread going.
  • jccjcc
    edited May 2008
    Post edited by jcc on
  • ... those are all older than I am. The mind boggles.
  • jccjcc
    edited May 2008
    Sadly, no over the shoulder pic. :(

Fun with the phone system
    Post edited by jcc on
  • jccjcc
    edited May 2008
    Post edited by jcc on
  • I never realized there was actually such a thing as a geek face.
  • I never realized there was actually such a thing as a geek face.
    Geek face?
  • These are really nice. I enjoy coming in and seeing what you can find, jcc.
  • jccjcc
    edited May 2008
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited May 2008

Ha ha, awesome! I easily recognize two of the people mentioned on that cover-- "DAVE III" is David Wilson III, longtime Atlanta-area anime fan who some would say has achieved anime nerd godhood by marrying Amy Howard, otherwise known as Nova to fans of Star Blazers.

"Cap'n Dave" is Dave Merrill, another longtime Atlanta-area fan who achieved his own godhood by being a big part of Anime Weekend Atlanta's creation. He has since ascended into Canadian heaven and is married. Oh, and he did the Kenshiro cover art as well.

Edit: Boy, am I a moron for overlooking another recognizable Atlanta-area name, Paul Sudlow...who may or may not be the same guy who was heavily involved with the lore of the Star Wars RPG.
    Post edited by RichLather on

• Ha ha, awesome! I easily recognize two of the people mentioned on that cover-- "DAVE III" is David Wilson III, longtime Atlanta-area anime fan who some would say has achieved anime nerd godhood by marrying Amy Howard, otherwise known as Nova to fans ofStar Blazers.

"Cap'n Dave" is Dave Merrill, another longtime Atlanta-area fan who achieved his own godhood by being a big part of Anime Weekend Atlanta's creation. He has since ascended into Canadian heaven and is married. Oh, and he did the Kenshiro cover art as well.

Edit: Boy, am I a moron for overlooking another recognizable Atlanta-area name, Paul Sudlow...who may or may not be the same guy who was heavily involved with the lore of theStar WarsRPG.
    Thanks for the cool backstory. :)
    I found the image on Cap'n Dave's anime blog, letsanime.blogspot.com. I credited it in the title text, but this is a good excuse to advertise. :) Not only is it a source of interesting scans, but a good read as well.

A can of TAB?

• A can of TAB?
    Captions in the mouseover text. :) I'll try sticking them in the post proper, see how that works.
    1975 Crown Tournament, Society for Creative Anachronism
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/vintage_sca_photos/pool/
  • edited May 2008
    The guy on the left is my father.
    Post edited by Andrew on
    For real? In which photo? The guy with the chainmail hat?

Also, I find it strange that the earliest signs of geekery are from the late '30s when worldcon started and such. There must be some late 1800s geekery somewhere, right? Maybe a picture of kids reading pulps in a '20s drug store?
  • For real? In which photo? The guy with the chainmail hat?
    He had a broken image link. It's now fixed.
  • For real? In which photo? The guy with the chainmail hat?
    He had a broken image link. It's now fixed.
    Dang.
    I wish.
    I wish.
    Yeah, looking back on it I was stupid to think the chainmail hat guy could be your father. There's not a woman in all of history who would ever go near that dude.
  • Yeah, looking back on it I was stupid to think the chainmail hat guy could be your father. There's not a woman in all of history who would ever go near that dude.
    It makes you wonder; where is he now?
  • I'm sure the woman who sells the turkey legs at the Renaissance Festival would go with him.
  • I'm sure the woman who sells the turkey legs at the Renaissance Festival would go with him.
    You keep on thinking that's a woman.
  • jccjcc
    edited May 2008
    It makes you wonder; where is he now?
    The internet provides. :) Here leads to here.
    Post edited by jcc on