This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FNPL 27 with Scott Johnson! (or how Viga saved the day)

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
Some weeks ago, we booked Scott Johnson to appear on the show last night. Unfortunately, Ray bailed out and Rym and Scott and I had a miscommunication and they missed the show. So at the appointed time, we had this awesome internet superstar ready to go with just David and me. It's really not a party line unless you have at least 4 people.

So I saw Viga online and I called her and asked her to be on the show and she did it awesomely with no prep. Yay Viga!!!

Here are the topics:
--Take a look at at this New Yorker article. Are the distinctions made between invention and creation valid?
--In Monday's WSJ, there is an article entitled: "The Digital Future of Books." With the advent of the Kindle, and really even the web itself, how many years does print media have before it disappears entirely. What other issues come into play here such as can people even tolerate longer reading nowadays?
--What web comics do you you read? How difficult is it today for an artist to create a successful web comic?
--There were some changes suggested recently concerning orphan copyright procedure. If you could could change the copyright and patent system in the U.S., what would you do to it?
--Given higher gas prices, isn't it time to do less traveling and more telecommuting? How much more can be done with telecommuting? Will more employers support it now? How high does gas have to go before more people see the value in virtual interaction? Are gas prices even a factor at all?
--Let's comment on this article on 5 things humans no longer need.
What are some other things that humans no longer need?
--Ask the Economist

Comments

• Maybe you should add that it's Scott Johnson of Extralife, Extralife Radio, The Instance and formerly Infendo Radio. Not Scott Johnson of the Front Row Crew.
    I'm a big fan of Scott. I'll check it out.
    edited May 2008
    *thumbs up* Currently listening.

And done (and finally editing this post). Once again a good podcast, what else to expect from FNPL, very fun, perhaps I'll start following Scott Johnson now too. The only nasty part was that echoing occurred here and there. At first I thought it was Viga only for when she spoke at first everything echoed (it was scary, Viga from everywhere, repeated and repeated and repeated, mesmerizing, hypnotizing, wanting me to do her bidding... ahum), but later others echoed too, so somewhere, most likely on Thaed's side, a microphone was picking up the nearby speakers.
    Post edited by ... on
  • *thumbs up* Currently listening.
  • Damn it, I really wish I could have been on... (being the Scott Johnson of the FRC and a fan of Extralife radio :-p) It would have been real confusing though ;-p
  • ZOMG, if there's no O around, Scott actually has a chance to talk.
  • You didn't actually talk about orphan works, and you just talked about patents instead. Luckily, TwiT had it covered.
  • Damn it, I really wish I could have been on... (being the Scott Johnson of the FRC and a fan of Extralife radio :-p) It would have been real confusing though ;-p
    You wish you could have been on? They talked about art-related subjects most of the time, I started talking to myself in response when I was at work...
  • I would have loved to hear Rym and Scott argue with S.J.. ^^
    I don't think we would have argued. He seemed pretty agreeable.
    I don't think we would have argued. He seemed pretty agreeable.
    S.J. is a real pro. We need to have him on again. Maybe later this year, depending on how things go.