This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Laser Tag

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
I just played one of the most fun games of laser tag in my life last night and am now wondering: What do you guys think of Laser Tag? I find it to be incredibly fun, especially late at night when you are in a team comprised of all of your friends shooting at people you have never met before.

I was also thinking, could there be a more tactical version of Laser Tag? Maybe a way to make it more like Team Fortress with different guns (rapid fire, sniper rifle-ish, medic gun, basic,...). Perhaps along with the pack and guns they would also give you a headset as so that you could communicate with team mates. Do you guys think that this could work?

Comments

• Well, at one laser tag place I go to (laser quest, dunno if any of you have been there before), it has an upper level and a higher level, and the bottom level is a big maze. So basically, people on the upper level tend to just camp up there and snipe, and then other people run around, occasionally raiding the upper level to take out snipers.

All in all, that's definitely the best form of laser tag I've ever played...but all in all, I suck at it. I'm not really that great with guns... So yeah...
  • I love it and want to do it as soon as possible. It's expensive though.

I prefer paintball!
  • Laser Quest is indeed the best laser tag. Ultrazone is a close second.

• I was also thinking, could there be a more tactical version of Laser Tag? Maybe a way to make it more like Team Fortress with different guns (rapid fire, sniper rifle-ish, medic gun, basic,...). Perhaps along with the pack and guns they would also give you a headset as so that you could communicate with team mates. Do you guys think that this could work?
    They do have that. I used to play with multiple types of guns. I used to use a big bazooka-looking onw that you could snipe with that had a red dot sight. Now I just want to go play laser tag!

P.S. Fuck those target things you have to wear. I don't know about you guys, but those target things were way to big and bulky for my taste. There has to be a better solution.

• P.S. Fuck those target things you have to wear. I don't know about you guys, but those target things were way to big and bulky for my taste. There has to be a better solution.
    Agreed. Though I don't think laser tag is popular enough to get any advancements.
    It's expensive though.

I prefer paintball!
    paintball has to be more expensive....
  • The Laser Tag place that I go to is called Shadowland and they have the two tiered set-up with the maze on the lower floor and you have to wear an excessively bulky pack and carry a gun that looks like the Wii Zapper on steroids, they really need to upgrade the set up and the equipment.
  • Agreed. Though I don't think laser tag is popular enough to get any advancements..
    I don't know.... The army 'plays' it.

Also, I wish I knew where to play it, I never have.
  • edited May 2008
    I wish I knew where to play it, I never have.
    You could always just buy a few of the guns, they aren't that expensive.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on

• P.S. Fuck those target things you have to wear. I don't know about you guys, but those target things were way to big and bulky for my taste. There has to be a better solution.
    They may not be the most comfortable to wear, but they do add strategy to the game. (my friends and I played a lot of laser tag together so this comes after much discussion of the finer points of the game.) If you swing your shoulders back and forth while walking, you can make it very difficult for others to score points off of you while you are not behind cover. Also, because the sensors that record the hits to the vest have a delay, it is very unwise to fire as fast as you can at your enemies. It is much more efficient to fire about once a second, alternating your shots between each shoulder. If you just dump your ammo into their vest, you will get the same amount of hits as the person firing one round a second due to the speed at which the vest registers hits. I hope you find this useful in your next game.
  • They may not be the most comfortable to wear, but they do add strategy to the game.
    Arbitrary and crappy strategy that only serves to weaken the game...
  • edited May 2008
    They may not be the most comfortable to wear, but they do add strategy to the game.
    Arbitrary and crappy strategy that only serves to weaken the game...
    You've got to work with what you've got, and there is always paintball until they make something better.
    Post edited by imptac on
  • It's expensive though.

I prefer paintball!
    Although initially, yes, after you have the equipment the paintballs are pretty cheep. If you go often enough it ends up being much cheeper than laser tag.
  • I was also thinking, could there be a more tactical version of Laser Tag?
    I went to a camp, and one of the things they had was just this: laser tag with different guns outdoors. Unfortunately, I didn't sign up for it. Figures.
  • It's expensive though.

I prefer paintball!
    Although initially, yes, after you have the equipment the paintballs are pretty cheep. If you go often enough it ends up being much cheeper than laser tag.
    A few rounds of laser tag with my friends costs around $10-15. If you actually go play at a paintball field/arena/scenario/whatever, it'll cost $10-15 minimum. If you just play in your back yard you'd still have to buy the paintballs, which wouldn't quite be $10-15, but it's up there, I believe.
  • It's expensive though.

I prefer paintball!
    A few rounds of laser tag with my friends costs around $10-15. If you actually go play at a paintball field/arena/scenario/whatever, it'll cost $10-15 minimum. If you just play in your back yard you'd still have to buy the paintballs, which wouldn't quite be $10-15, but it's up there, I believe.
    I guess your best bet would be to buy some laser tag guns and paly in your back yard. That way you won't have to buy paintballs or pay rental fees
  • edited May 2008
    Consumer laser tag sets are shit. My friend used to have one, it didn't work at all. It also only had one hit zone.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Consumer laser tag sets are shit. My friend used to have one, it didn't work at all. It also only had one hit zone.
    Buy professional grad laser tag sets on teh Internet.
  • edited May 2008
    Consumer laser tag sets are shit. My friend used to have one, it didn't work at all. It also only had one hit zone.
    Buy professional grad laser tag sets on teh Internet.
    Then you're back at square one where it would most likely be cheaper to just go to a laserquest or something....er, at least that's what I'm assuming. I really doubt those could be cheap.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Then you're back at square one where it would most likely be cheaper to just go to a laserquest or something....er, at least that's what I'm assuming. I really doubt those could be cheap.
    They're not cheap, but since you only pay for it once, it will eventually pay for itself. Let's say the professional laser tag costs $1000, and one game at a laser quest costs $10. That means if you are going to play 100 times, then it's worth it to buy your own set. You just have to do the math, and correctly estimate how many times you will play.

This is why paintball/airsoft are somewhat better choices. Sure, you have to keep buying ammunition, but you only buy ammunition when you actually play. Thus, the cost scales to match how much you enjoy it. If it sucks, and you don't play much, you can sell the gun on the Internet and not lose much.
  • Hey, is there any good laser tag up in Rochester? Also, do you think laser tag is declining in popularity because it is seen as a kids' thing?