This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How to Move Forward?

Comments

• That was just based on Anime Club from RIT?
    That was part of it. Most of it was that we went to panels at conventions that were sucky or non-existent, and we had the balls to stand up and take them over. Then we put those on the resume in order to get panels at other conventions.
    Either way, at the point you are at now you could easily get a shit-ton of free stuff from publishers (game, manga, etc...) to review. This saves you both time and money as you do not need to travel to the store to buy things nor do you have to waste any time picking and choosing what to order.
  • Either way, at the point you are at now you could easily get a shit-ton of free stuff from publishers (game, manga, etc...) to review. This saves you both time and money as you do not need to travel to the store to buy things nor do you have to waste any time picking and choosing what to order.
    The amount of time and money spent on entertainment is trivial. We need more time to be able to consume the media, not more media to consume.
  • edited May 2008
    Either way, at the point you are at now you could easily get a shit-ton of free stuff from publishers (game, manga, etc...) to review. This saves you both time and money as you do not need to travel to the store to buy things nor do you have to waste any time picking and choosing what to order.
    The amount of time and money spent on entertainment is trivial. We need more time to be able to consume the media, not more media to consume.
    So, if you add sponsors you can get to the point where you no longer have to spend half of your day working. Then you will be able to spend the time you once used for work consuming media. If I didn't have to work all day, some of that time would go towards consuming media, but most of it would probably go towards producing more. I would just be producing what I want as opposed to what someone else wants. Also, simply putting sponsors on GeekNights is not enough money to be able to quit my job.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • What scrym should do is use those amazon Hyperlinks. They could have an entire catalogue of things they have suggested such as Watchmen and Trigun. I also do think that there should be a FRC network like the Twit network. Maybe Emily could do a podcast. Or Scrym could do a podcast with the Visigoths.
  • edited May 2008
    If you need more time to do other projects you could also just get other people to do geeknights sometimes. Maybe more Fast karate for the Geeknights.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • The problem is that more people watch a given Youtube video than even know what a podcastis. We need to do other things just to get podcasting to be known to the average person.
    Who gives a shit if you're known to the average person?
    Let's do a proof of sorts.
    1. Geeknights is about geeky subjects
    2. geek is niche
    3. geeknights is a podcast, which is also a niche
    4. thus, it's a niche within a niche
    5. thus, why the fuck do you even think that you're going to be known to the average person? You'd have to do geeknights fridays: how to run beer pong tournaments and how to pimp your ride. Up for the task?
    and to "make us famous,"
    Again, see above. If you're trying to get yourself famous, podcasting isn't the right method. If you want to continue doing geeknights (and I assume you guys do...), you need to give up this dream, even if you full well realize it might never happen.
  • 1. Geeknights is about geeky subjects
    2. geek is niche
    3. geeknights is a podcast, which is also a niche
    The problem is that, as shocking as it sounds, there are geeks who aren't on the internet or know about computers. This is why they want to bring podcasting to the mainstream.
  • Yeah, take one of my RL friends for example. He's only geeky about video games, but knows nothing about computers.
  • I see Sail's point. I found this podcast because of my interest in German boardgames. If you're going to watch a Youtube video about a geeky subject, you're going to have an interest in that subject to begin with.

I understand Scrym's desire to want to be "seen" by more. But that begs the question - to what end? What is the advantage of having more viewers/listeners other than the feeling of satisfaction seeing your numbers rise? If you want a market base, as you suggest, what type of stuff are you interested in developing? Would it be better to focus on one group when you cover such diverse topics?

It's a lot to think about.

At the end of the day, you should make sure that you're doing something that you enjoy. If the money comes, so be it. Bill Gates didn't found Microsoft because he hated computers.
  • Yeah, take one of my RL friends for example. He's only geeky about video games, but knows nothing about computers.
    Yes, it is true and scary. At Otakon there were people who came to our table who did not own a computer. I am not shitting you. I was curious to find out how they even found out about Otakon without computers, but they ran away.
  • edited May 2008
    The problem is that, as shocking as it sounds, there are geeks who aren't on the internet or know about computers. This is why they want to bring podcasting to the mainstream.
    Yes, yes, I do understand that. I, too, know anime fans who know jack shit about computers (they do own them, though). Most of my gamer friends are also tech geeks, though, so I can't relate to that one.

But really, will a youtube video draw someone to Geeknights? Maybe, but odds are it'll just draw them to future Geeknights-produced videos. That's kinda what Scrym wants, but kinda not.

Also, taking the podcast to a few anime fans that aren't that techie isn't necessarily becoming famous. It's becoming more well-known, but not famous. Plus, I somehow doubt that the generic Narutard who knows jack all about computers is going to give a shit about a podcast that takes jabs at people like them.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I have friends who have computers but have no interest in going online. They find real life fulfilling enough.
    Yes, it is true and scary. At Otakon there were people who came to our table who did not own a computer. I am not shitting you. I was curious to find out how they even found out about Otakon without computers, but they ran away.
    My friend barely even owns a computer. He's got an emachine and uses AOL dialup.
    I have friends who have computers but have no interest in going online. They find real life fulfilling enough.
    Yeah, how weird can they get? Hehe.
  • There are all kinds of people in the world. With whom do you want to interact? Being trapped in a room full of Luddites would be a circle of hell for me.

I can appreciate all too well Rym's need for fame. R&S are good enough to achieve more fame. It seems like they need yet another vehicle to make it happen.
  • Meh, I poked my finger in the podcasting pond for a little bit with a podcast for the Wii. Took all of 8 weekly episodes for me to feel it was more work than fun anymore and stop.

I can only imagine what you guys are feeling having done 400+ podcasts at this point. It's definitely been feeling like you guys were starting to burn out and "podfade". I think it's a good thing that you've realized it and are considering other options.

I for one, would rather have 1 or 2 nights a week of geeknights than none at all.
  • edited May 2008
    I'd just like to say that as much as I want you guys to continue the four-a-week schedule you both seem to be getting burned out. The shows lately just haven't been quite up to par with past episodes. I would suggest trying to do something like what Sonic was suggesting, taking say a couple week to a month hiatus to get yourselves back on track and what not. Then when you come back you could decide if you want to go to the alternating weeks or back to the original.

However, the rest of the FRC really need to step it up already. As much as Rym and Scott talk you up and I have yet to see anything more then a few things here on the forums from you people. They keep telling us you have such amazing skills, let us see them.

Oh, and one last thing. Scott, enough with the, "But we promised we wouldn't have ads." I'm fairly certain not a single person on these forums would care if there were some 'tasteful' ads on GeekNights. In fact I would even go so far to say I'd pay $10/yr for GeekNights if that's what it took (not that you'd ever do something like that ;D).
    Post edited by Feketelo on
  • However, the rest of the FRC really need to step it up already. As much as Rym and Scott talk you up and I have yet to see anything more then a few things here on the forums from you people. They keep telling us you have such amazing skills, let us see them.
    Some of us have amazing skills that are best applied elsewhere, like making sure food isn't killing people, or developing a vaccine to H5N1.

As for the show, I can't believe you've taken this long to think about cutting it back. There's no way to keep up this pace, and it's been showing in the last 50-ish episodes. I say back it off to 1 show a week, maybe make it slightly longer, and make each show one topic. So you have "Anime Week" instead of "Anime Day." That sort of thing.
  • As far as the ads go, I'm not sure it would make much sense anyway, regardless of the promises. Scrym have made it very obvious that they make pretty good money. Money isn't the problem -- time is. No amount of ads on the podcast are going to allow them to quit their jobs and have anything near the standard of living they currently enjoy. So that doesn't solve the problem. And I'm not quite sure, but I kind of doubt that they're in industries where they can go part time.
  • The shows lately just haven't been quite up to par with past episodes.
    There's no way to keep up this pace, and it's been showing in the last 50-ish episodes.
    I agree. Quality should always win out over quantity.
  • No one could complain about one awesome show a week.

Also, I don't know anyone else in their crew, but podcasting is something that you have to want to do. You can't force people to do it. In fact, most people have no interest in doing it whatsoever.
  • edited May 2008
    You know, I started listening about a year and a half ago (scratch that, it was probably two years ago), with no interruptions. The fact that you have done this exact schedule (with intermittent breaks) for longer than that is an astonishing feat. I must ask, are you two human?
    If you need more time to do other projects you could also just get other people to do geeknights sometimes. Maybe more Fast karate for the Geeknights.
    I will second that motion. How about giving the Movies You Should See gang another go?
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • I also suggest doing this once a week.

Lately, I haven't even been finishing the episodes, because you seem to have said all you can say after 400 hours of talking. I know all the anecdotes and quips you have, and it isn't worth it to listen to the show four days a week.

Cut back, learn new things, and you'll have new things about which you can talk.

Also, I would suggest taking maybe the entire summer off. You deserve it.
  • Do what you gotta do chums. With less episodes, quality can only go up. You've been complaining about episode topics drying up, so spreading 'em out will also be a benefit. I've been excited to see other FRC content since the first mention of it.

Unfortunate that your stubborn nature will restrict you from ever making money off of anything to do with GeekNights (save for merch) but you guys don't seem too crushed by that. It'd be damned fine if y'all could make a living out of this, but in all honesty, there's not a fucking chance in the world I'd pay for a podcast.
  • So, I've only really glanced at the replies to this thread, but I still felt like I should put in my two cents:

1. No one is going to complain if you guys take time off/reduce the number of episodes. If it were two a week, you guys would still be generating more content than 90% of podcasters on the internet. If you did one episode a week, you'd be better than... oh, about 80%.

2. Don't make this full time. Both of you seem to love your jobs, and you have to think of yourselves before the fans. It's not going to be as easy as "stop going to work, make money". An ad wouldn't be the end of the world, and I trust you guys to make it tasteful, but it's also unnecessary.

3. If you're considering "how to move forward" youtube videos are probably the best bet. My friend posted something he made a while ago (stupid music video thing) and within a week (and without any promotion) it had +1,000 views and he had a few subscribers. Make a few how-to videos, get some fans, and then lay on some knowledge about podcasts. This will probably be the best way to actually create new listeners.

4. I love the idea of more FRC members participating. Even if initial episodes were amateurish as the new people adapted, I would listen, and I know most fans would listen. With enough man-power, I feel like you could have something similar to TWiT, without completely exhausting yourselves out.

5. Finally, as much as I enjoy the little changes (Tech Talk Unleashed, Geek Profiles) they definitely aren't doing enough to end this slump. I say take some time off, and plan out something big.
  • I've been with you guys since the beginning of this crazy podcasting adventure, and I'll follow you in whatever direction you take. Just do whatever you think is required to continue to make your product high quality and full of integrity, and I'm sure it will be successful.
  • edited September 2008
    Alright guys, so a while ago you stated that after PAX and the summer and all you'd return to the regular schedule of GeekNights. I'm not trying to be pushy or anything but it is after PAX and I've been waiting quite patiently for my four GeekNights a week. Is it ever going to return or is GeekNights just slowly going to podfade?
    Post edited by Feketelo on
  • Is it every going to return or is GeekNights just slowly going to podfade?
    Podfade: hardly. We've got some strong episodes coming down the pipe. Four nights a week? Not likely either, as podcasting is basically dead unless technology changes.

For now, instead of more GeekNights, you'll get more and more video and other content as time goes on. That extra free time isn't spent idly.
  • Where are these other FRC productions? *glares at forum*
  • I'M WORKING ON IT!

(MY ANIMATION)
  • so a while ago you stated that after PAX and the summer and all you'd return to the regular schedule of GeekNights.
    Clearly you have no knowledge of when Summer is actually over.

¬(
    I'm not trying to be pushy or anything but it is after PAX and I've been waiting quite patiently for my four GeekNights a week.
    )
    Is it every going to return or is GeekNights just slowly going to podfade?
    I think Rym and Scott have to much fun making a podcast.

And sheesh people, do I really have to turn my name back to 'a forum asshole.'?