This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MMA live on primetime network TV tonight.

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
I suspect the vast majority of this forum doesn't care about mixed martial arts. I know Scrym don't. But I've always felt that this was a sport that geeks could/should be into (geeks like martial arts, right?), and this is a huge step for the sport. Also, turning people on to MMA is a minor mission of mine.

Tonight (Saturday, May 31), CBS will air the first ever live MMA card on network TV at 9pm ET. The undercard will stream starting at 7pm ET.

This card even has minor geek significance, because "internet legend" (youtube legend is probably more accurate) Kimbo Slice is headlining. There's also a middleweight title fight that should be very solid, and even a good women's bout. For those who don't like the ground fighting in MMA, the matchups on this card promise a lot of slugging.

If you have any interest in watching highly trained people try to hurt each other, especially if you haven't seen MMA before or (or especially, haven't seen it since the barbarism and hilarity of the early days), definitely check this out.

Of course it'll also be on the bittorrents if you miss it.

Comments

• I'm looking forward to this but I'll have to grab it online later, no CBS up here in the wintered north (currently 24 Celsius)
  • edited May 2008
    Great, more mass media bullshit. Why can't we have a thought provoking documentary, or a good film? Or better yet, how about a discussion on the state of the world? Oh wait. I forgot that to think for oneself is evil. We're supposed to be vegetables, not humans.

I would like to give the all of the TV networks a collective kick in the ass.

Edit: No offense to the fans of this stuff. I don't think you are vegetables. I just get sick and tired of the way TV works. There are only two currently running shows I like: Doctor Who and House (which I usually watch on Hulu). The only other shows I watch on TV: M.A.S.H. and Courage The Cowardly Dog. The quality of TV has been going downhill for years. I blame reality shows.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • Great, more mass media bullshit. Why can't we have a thought provoking documentary, or a good film? Or better yet, how about a discussion on the state of the world? Oh wait. I forgot that to think for oneself is evil. We're supposed to be vegetables, not humans.
    Fine. Thought provoking documentaries and good films are great. I'll probably be watching something similar myself later tonight. Not watching TV doesn't make you special, or better than anyone. I only watch a couple of shows myself. I don't have cable. I only mention this event because it's a landmark for the mainstream acceptance of this sport, compared to when it was popularly viewed as "human cockfighting", and nearly banned.

If you don't like any sports, fine. I never watched sports until I got into MMA. I still don't watch any sports that aren't some kind of one-on-one combat. I'm a fight fan. I used to train, myself, until I no longer had the time. Fighting and martial arts are interesting to me. This doesn't have anything to do with your "thinking for yourself is evil, shut up and watch American Idol" scenario.
  • Not watching TV doesn't make you special, or better than anyone.
    I'm so happy someone said this.

BTW, Dr. Who sucks ass. Yes, I said it.
  • Fine. Thought provoking documentaries and good films are great. I'll probably be watching something similar myself later tonight. Not watching TV doesn't make you special, or better than anyone. I only watch a couple of shows myself. I don't have cable. I only mention this event because it's a landmark for the mainstream acceptance of this sport, compared to when it was popularly viewed as "human cockfighting", and nearly banned.

If you don't like any sports, fine. I never watched sports until I got into MMA. I still don't watch any sports that aren't some kind of one-on-one combat. I'm a fight fan. I used to train, myself, until I no longer had the time. Fighting and martial arts are interesting to me. This doesn't have anything to do with your "thinking for yourself is evil, shut up and watch American Idol" scenario.
    I was trying to be facetious. Sorry to offend you.
  • I was trying to be facetious. Sorry to offend you.
    I think you need more practice. Where was the facetious part?
  • edited May 2008
    I was trying to be facetious. Sorry to offend you.
    I think you need more practice. Where was the facetious part?
    Great, more mass media bullshit. Why can't we have a thought provoking documentary, or a good film? Or better yet, how about a discussion on the state of the world? Oh wait. I forgot that to think for oneself is evil. We're supposed to be vegetables, not humans.
    You're right. I have been told I have a notoriously bad sense of humor by others in the past. I guess I shouldn't try in public anymore.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited June 2008
    Well, the only TV I watch is what I download through torrents
    (I highly recommend http://eztv.it/frontpage.php)
    I have RSS feeds set up to automatically start downloading shows.

It's far superior to watching TV here in Australia because
    1) It isn't 6 months behind the U.S. on a good day.
    2) It allows me to seperate out good shows easily.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    Uh, yes it does. It's the same as how people who read Shakespeare are better than people who read grocery store romance novels.
    Uh, yes it does. It's the same as how people who read Shakespeare are better than people who read grocery store romance novels.
    You may not watch broadcast TV but what about watching TV through other means (torrents, streaming video w/o commercials) Does THAT make someone better or worst? Even our anime supply was once televised film. I don't watch broadcast TV myself but I sure as hell don't think it makes me worst or better.
    You may not watch broadcast TV but what about watching TV through other means (torrents, streaming video w/o commercials) Does THAT make someone better or worst? Even our anime supply was once televised film. I don't watch broadcast TV myself but I sure as hell don't think it makes me worst or better.
    No, mostly just the regular watching of broadcast TV is the problem. Live sports and such can be excused. If you watch TV shows in an on-demand commercial-free fashion, then it depends what shows you watch. If you're watching reality shows, it doesn't matter how you watch them, you suck.
  • If you're watching reality shows, it doesn't matter how you watch them, you suck.
    *High fives* I could agree with that!
  • Not having a TV in the house when growing up (from age 4 to age 20 at university) gave me time to get into all kinds of stuff and made the multi-talented person I am today. You may think calling myself multi-talented is arrogant or something, but I believe that anyone can achieve much more in life if they didn't spend so much time watching TV as a child/adolescent. I think not watching TV DOES make one better than those who do, in general sweeping terms for average people.

Didn't Clay Shirky work out that 100 million hours has gone into making Wikipedia, and that each weekend the population of the USA spends 300 million hours, not just watching TV but watching the commercials on TV! Every weekend 3 Wikipedia sized projects could be created in that time. Anyone who would rather spend time creating something, no matter how bad, is a better person that someone who would choose to watch TV instead.
  • I DVR everything.
      My List:
    • Lost
    • Doctor Who
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • The Office
    • My Name is Earl
  • edited June 2008
    I'll point out one problem with luke's argument:
    Not having books in the house when growing up (from age 4 to age 20 at university) gave me time to get into all kinds of stuff and made the multi-talented person I am today. You may think calling myself multi-talented is arrogant or something, but I believe that anyone can achieve much more in life if they didn't spend so much time reading books as a child/adolescent. I think not reading books DOES make one better than those who do, in general sweeping terms for average people.

Didn't Clay Shirky work out that 100 million hours has gone into making Wikipedia, and that each weekend the population of the USA spends 300 million hours, not just reading books but even stuff like magazines and newspapers! Every weekend 3 Wikipedia sized projects could be created in that time. Anyone who would rather spend time creating something, no matter how bad, is a better person that someone who would choose to read books instead.
    I agree that, at the least, the sort of person who will sit in front of a TV and be satisfied with anything they're being shown is really quite sad. Any form of TV-on-demand is better, as long as what you're watching isn't a reality show, of course.
  • Reading books is not equivalent to watching TV. Reading a novel takes imagination and thought. You are creating a world in your mind when you read. Watching TV does not stimulate the mind in the same way.

I admit that time spent reading can be spent doing other things too, but TV watching and book reading is not a true comparison so my argument stands. Also I highly doubt the people of the USA spend 300 million hours each weekend reading adverts in books and newspapers. My point was that even if TV watching wasn't bad, what good can come from watching adverts?

Finally, gaining knowledge from books is far more efficient than watching TV. I've seen many documentaries that, while looking great, give me only as much information as a 1000 word wikipedia article. It is possible to cram in much more, but TV shows rarely do this as the audience for hardcore lectures on specific topics just isn't there.

If the population of the USA spent a collective 300 million hours each weekend reading instead of watching TV adverts, I'd like to think the world would be a better place.
  • edited June 2008
    I agree that advertisements are useless.
    I also agree that reading is certainly better than watching TV in some sense at least.

However, you seemed to emphasize only "creating something", so I felt obliged to counter.
  • I think that creating something is always better than watching random TV. And I think that creating something is often better than reading, but reading is so far ahead of TV watching in every way that it isn't so cut and dry.
  • edited June 2008
    but reading is so far ahead of TV watching in every way
    Well, there are many books that just suck. The same applies to TV shows.

If you just turn on the TV and watch what they're showing you, then yes, that is a worthless activity for the most part.
    However, there are some shows that are really quite good, and I can't agree that they are also worthless.
  • edited June 2008
    Sturgeon's Law applies, of course. Let me clear up some things about TV and reading books.

1. "90% of everything is crap." This goes for books and TV. However, so much of TV is live, unedited drivel, commercials, reality TV, "news" and analysis, talk shows, etc. Books, by their very nature, are written with thought and planning, go through many rounds of editing, cost money to buy rather than being provided for free. If all books and TV were put into to the same pile, the top 10% that isn't crap would be 99% books and maybe less than 1% TV.

2. TV is push media. The networks have a LOT of time to fill, and the emphasis is on new content, regardless of the quality. Some channels show only repeats of "quality" programming, but this isn't what advertisers want. New trumps quality, because new is cheap and quality is expensive.

3. Books, on the other hand, are paid for by the consumer. Which means readers try to buy books that they know will be worth their investment, both in terms of money and time. It is also worth publishers time and money to seek out the best books they can and discard the bad quality.

4. Many bad quality books are published, but these will not have a long shelf life. Go into any bookshop and you'll see shelves and shelves full of the classics. It is worth the publishers time to keep pushing old as well as new because, in the end, quality of writing is more important than age. Buy a book written and published in 2008 and there will be a good chance it falls outside of the top 10%. Buy a book written in 1950, first published in 1951 and STILL published in 2008 and the chances are good it is in the top 1%. This control is missing from TV. You get what you are given.

I'm sure I could go on, but I think my points are clear enough.

As for "really quite good" TV shows, could you name some so I have an idea of what TV you are talking about?
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on