This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Quentin Tarantino

edited June 2008 in Movies
People here have always seemed to like his movies. Now I can definitely see why.

My friend showed me Pulp Fiction yesterday and I loved it. I watched Reservoir Dogs today and I liked it even more than Pulp Fiction. It didn't have as much action and style, but I'm a sucker for the psychological drama and this man's dialogue and storytelling is just frosting on the cake. Next chance I get I'm gonna start on Kill Bill.

Also, when I told my dad I watched Pulp Fiction I found out that he's actually a huge fan. We actually have the screenplay sitting in our garage.

How are these movies so fucking wonderful!?

Comments

• I'll let you in on a little secret; Do NOT watch kill bill 2. The first movie is good but the second one is just a big disappointment.

Other then that, I don't have much experience with Quentin Tarantino.
  • edited June 2008
    Actually I liked the second part of Kill Bill. I think the problem that most people have with Vol. 2 is that they expected the same thing they saw in Vol. 1. I expected another Tarantino story and that's what I got.

So far I really liked every film I saw that Tarantino directed (including the last part of Four Rooms), but I have yet to see Death Proof. What makes his movies so great is the style he employs. I think the next one you should see is Jackie Brown.

But I have to ask: Sail how old are you?
    Because two years ago I worked with a guy who was as old as me (20 at the time) and I couldn't fathom that he had never seen Pulp Fiction. I actually consider it one of the great accomplishments of modern cinema and definitely a cult classic.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I think Deathproof is the film he's been trying to make for years, yea it's a lot like "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" but that's no bad thing. Easily his best work.
  • Yeah I think the problem people had with volume 2 was they expected it to be all violence and action again, with the basic plot moving it along. It ends up being the opposite of part 1 instead, being most plot and less action. Together they combine into a well balanced movie.

I think the last his part of 4 Rooms and Deathproof are my favorite Tarantino movies. I can understand why people don't like it, I think it mostly suffered from following Planet Terror, in Grindhouse. It's sort of hard to follow that movie, especially with something like Deathproof that starts off as such a slow burn.
  • I love Tarantino, his movies are so good! Pulp Fiction is definitely my favourite, it is really funny, has some great action, the overdose scene is brutal, and it has Sam Jackson. I think all of those together makes a totally awesome movie.
  • If you've seen Pulp Fiction, you've seen the best he has to offer. Still, you should check out Reservoir Dogs.

I keep forgetting that my generation is not the youngest. It seems very strange to bump into someone who hasn't seen Pulp Fiction. On a related note, the New Kids on the Block are getting back together, and none of my wife's middle school students know who they are. Depressing.
  • the New Kids on the Block are getting back together.
    Seriously?! Ew.

Anyway, Pulp Fiction is my main favorite but second is Kill Bill 1 and then 2. Kill Bill had to be mostly action because then people probably wouldn't get into it. Except for the QT fans.
  • Quilty! Never seen Pulp Fiction. Never got around to watch it since I found out. I don't (have the money to) rent movies or watch TV so the chances of me seeing it anytime soon are also slim. I have heard and seen clips of it though, and know it's awesome by those few alone. :)
  • I admit I haven't seen it. However, I am torrenting it on the double, so this will be fixed quickly.
  • edited June 2008
    I didn't get how amazing Pulp Fiction sas at first. It came out when I was in high school, and all my friends went to see it. I was a really poor kid -- not even a few bucks to go to the movies. So I didn't get to see it until it came out on video. By then, I'd been hearing my friends rave about it, and quote half the lines in the movie, and generally spoil everything, for months. When I finally saw it, I thought "Yeah, that was a pretty alright."
    A few years later, when I saw it again, I was blown away. I don't have to explain it, everyone already knows. But goddamn, that's a good movie.

It's really a shame that Tarantino peaked so early in his career. I don't think anything he's done since has even come close.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I don't know, what ever the part was in Sin City he directed was really good.
  • Whatever the part that he direct was, it was good? What a resounding compliment! It might reflect better on his skills as a director if you could remember what it was he directed.
    I thinkDeathproofis the film he's been trying to make for years, yea it's a lot like "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" but that's no bad thing. Easily his best work.
    This is the problem I have with all his movies. They're all "yeah, even though it was a lot like this other movie, it was still pretty good." Reservoir Dogs is great if you haven't seen City on Fire.
  • Whatever the part that he direct was, it was good? What a resounding compliment! It might reflect better on his skills as a director if you could remember what it was he directed.
    He was only a guest director on that movie and directed only a few scenes, and there weren't any parts of that movie that weren't good. That would lead me to assume that which ever parts he directed (as I don't really know which parts) were good.
  • The only problem I have with Pulp Fiction is that it made Travolta a star again.

Reservoir Dogs was the first Tarantino movie I saw. That was a long time ago. I thing Scrym were still in grade school back then?
  • Deathproof is the only thing he's made that I haven't enjoyed. It's so dull.
  • I saw Pulp Fiction for the first time about a year ago. I loved it. One of my favorite movies, easily.
  • edited June 2008
    Sail how old are you?
    Seventeen, a junior in HS.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2008
    I also believe you should see Jackie Brown next and then Four Rooms
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Four Rooms is amazing, well at least the last room is. I can watch the last room over and over, its hilarious and so quotable.
  • My favorite from him is still Reservoir Dogs... Pulp fiction is great as well... Jackie Brown & the Kill Bills were alright... The 1st set of girls from Death Proof bored the heck out of me, but the 2nd group was enjoyable (I didn't mind the round table talk and the chase was cool)...

I see a trend...
  • The 1st set of girls from Death Proof bored the heck out of me, but the 2nd group was enjoyable (I didn't mind the round table talk and the chase was cool)...
    Here is the thing about Deathproof, (at least what I think,) the first set of girls are there for you to not really like. I think that the first half of the movie is there for you to make you like (or at least sympathize with) the stunt man (I forget his name.) This way when he kills them you are kind of happy about it, since you really didn't care for them in the first place. It also helps establish how brutal and crazy he is.

The second set of girls then are more enjoyable to listen to, and thus you care about them more as opposed to the first set. You don't want them to die, so when the shit hits the proverbial fan you are forced into a state of suspense as you hope to see them escape somehow.
  • His name is Stunt Man Mike and his brother's name is Stunt Man Bob. That joke was so stupid in the movie, but I couldn't help but giggle. The first part is not the best, but it is important to set up the character of Stunt Man Mike.
  • His name is Stunt Man Mike and his brother's name is Stunt Man Bob. That joke was so stupid in the movie, but I couldn't help but giggle. The first part is not the best, but it is important to set up the character of Stunt Man Mike.
    I think that's where Tarantino's strong vision and bravery of a film maker is so apparent. When he can take risks like killing a whole set of people that he set up previously and have it not ruin a film. Also him messing up the time line in Pulp Fiction. Brave

• Here is the thing about Deathproof, (at least what I think,) the first set of girls are there for you to not really like. I think that the first half of the movie is there for you to make you like (or at least sympathize with) the stunt man (I forget his name.) This way when he kills them you are kind of happy about it, since you really didn't care for them in the first place. It also helps establish how brutal and crazy he is.
    You point totally makes sense... but for me I was just more happy it ended and finally we can move on than the WOW he flew over her face! The kill didn't wipe the taste in my mouth.
  • Yeah, it does go on probably longer then it needed to. It ends up sort of making Deathproof into two separate movies almost.
  • The thing I like most about Tarantino is his play with genre: copying, mixing, parodying. He's a lot like Shinichiro Watanabe.