This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

American's Have Less intimate friends but tons of Internet ones.

edited June 2006 in Everything Else
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/22/AR2006062201763_pf.html

I know that Rym and I had discussed this a few weeks ago when we talked of having Local friends compared to friends across the country. (or at least several hours away) Rym tried to make the point that he had met all the "Cool" people where he currently resides.. (which meant he lives with Scott) However I argued that there was probably pockets of people that he would probably like that he has not run into. (judging from the fact that since I am still living in my hometown of birth, I have a pretty large social net) I still think that this is a growing problem in America, mainly the loss of Social organizations outside of Chruch (I freaking Joined a UU Church just for the local ties) and American's feeling too busy to take part in social things other then going to Bars (which are not set up in a way to meet new people). There was a time when people actually met with people in there area and talked and while you probably had to socialize with a few people you didn't like it created a bond that only people who live next to each other have.
I can't talk myself, I don't know any of my neighbors except the one that is attached to my Twin. There was a time when people socialized in there neighborhood.

Why Do I even attempt to start these topics before I have to go to work.. *could go on for hours about this*

Comments

• I don't see it as a problem, in that I like to choose with whom I associate. I have nothing against my neighbors, but we have nothing in common. I couldn't talk to my co-workers back at IBM about anything I actually found interesting. I didn't particularly like the vast majority of people actually in my major back at RIT.

My friends were my friends, irrespective of the people with whom I was forced to live or work.

If I meet someone, and they're worth knowing, I'll stay in touch with them regardless of time or distance. I have very close and very dear friends whom I've actually physically met only a handful of times.

I don't mind talking with someone with whom I disagree, or who holds a contrary opinion. I can't stand talking to someone who is uninteresting (at least to me). Small talk about the weather or the local sports team is just so banal and superfluous: it's more a ritual than actual communication. I can't stand boring people, and I will not suffer them.

Now, we've met some geeks in the local area. There may well be pockets of them elsewhere that I haven't found. I contend that, if someone has such a low presence in the world that I can't find them when actively seeking them out, then the effort is not worth it.

I surround myself with people I trust, respect, and enjoy being with. I will not make allowances for people I find distasteful.

Of course, this is a huge problem for non-geeks. One aspect of being a geek is having a wide social net based on common interests. We use the Internet as a tool to communicate and network. Non-geeks rarely seem to do so to any great extent, yet at the same time shun many other less-technological means of networking.

Nerds are isolated by their focus and lack of social awareness. Normal people are isolated by their perceived lack of free time and the pressures of society. Poor people are isolated by the lack of networking options available to them. Scientologists/Mormons, et al. are isolated by their cults.

Isolation is a side-effect of modern society. Geeks have overcome this with technology.
  • "...Social organizations outside of Church..."
    You're not going to meet any atheist friends in church though. Unless they're atheists who go to church like me (not voluntary). I have a few friends I've met in RL and never seen again, but have talked to over the Internets.
  • I'll address when I have more time... Other then this

trogdor42. if you want to find Atheists at a Church check out the Untarians.. While they are not Atheists as a whole a good lot of them are (and a majority fall into the agnostic Humanist types..)
  • I have almost no biological family. However, I am not lonely as I have some really great firends. I choose my close friends very carefully.

I do not limit myself to just hanging around people from work. I actively seek people out who share similar interests. Some are my geek friends, some are my baseball friends and so on. A select few are my anytime friends. Each fills a different need.

I find that I have little patience for people who do little else but pay attention to which celebrity is marrying/divorcing who.