This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

John McCain

Comments

• Huh, interesting ... thanks for the heads up on that. I'd had trouble finding anything definitive on the subject, but that kind of wraps it up for me.
  • Reining in speculators by forcing by imposing higher-margin requirements is definitely a good idea.

As to getting rid of oil...

Oil is not just used for energy we make a lot of things out of oil byproducts. What will we use to replace that part of the oil equation?
  • Oil is not just used for energy we make a lot of things out of oil byproducts. What will we use to replace that part of the oil equation?
    Dude! We can totally make everything out of hemp.
  • Oil is not just used for energy we make a lot of things out of oil byproducts. What will we use to replace that part of the oil equation?
    Dude! We can totally make everything out of hemp.
    Further proof hippies are behind the anti-oil movement!!!

If Ethanol is so good why are we not importing more of it from Brazil?
  • I knew this was coming: McCain gets ‘visibly angry’ when challenged on whether military experience prepares him to be president.»

Sadly their is no audio or video footage so we don't know if "Mad Max" McCain was in action or if the reporter is just embellishing.
  • edited July 2008
    Sadly their is no audio or video footage so we don't know if "Mad Max" McCain was in action or if the reporter is just embellishing.
    I'll bet the reporter spelled "there" correctly.
    If Ethanol is so good why are we not importing more of it from Brazil?
    And I'll bet he knew ethanol is not a proper noun.
    Reining in speculators by forcing by imposing higher-margin requirements is definitely a good idea.
    He probably even made sure made sure made sure his sentences were coherent made sense.
    Oil is not just used for energy we make a lot of things out of oil byproducts. What will we use to replace that part of the oil equation?
    Let's not forget to use punctuation signaling new sentences is important I am tired and grouchy.

What's up?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Jason: I was probably tired when I wrote it or just rambling on on on so yeah...
  • I care less about him getting angry, and more about the fact that he uses his military service as a selling point, but he cannot back that up by telling us why it adds in any way to his qualifications. I am not disparaging his service, just questioning why it matters in the context of his campaign and his presidency.
  • As a former member of the military...

McCain's time in the military and time as a POW (you can read up on the details) shows us that he is:

1. Patriotic: While others were dodging the draft or enlisting in the Air National Guard to avoid service in Vietnam he was over there. He was willing to put his life on the line to further the interests of the country.
    2. Responsible: Not only was McCain a squadron Leader but, as a captured officer he was in command of the POWs of lower rank than him. When he was offered the chance to get out of the POW camp early he refused the special treatment and stayed.
    3. Willing to put the group ahead of himself: He was injured in the Forrestal fire while trying to free another pilot when a bomb exploded. After this he volunteered for duty on the USS Oriskany because the Forrestal was out of action.
    4. Not into favoritism: Even though McCain had powerful family members in the Navy he did not use those connections to secure "safer" duty.
    5. Sacrifice: In the line of duty McCain earned the following awards: Silver Star Medal, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal, Navy Commendation Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Prisoner of War Medal, (and others).
    6. Honorable of Character: Other than after being extensively tortured and doing a propaganda video for the NVA he never allowed himself to be used by any anti-war groups as a source of propaganda.

Does his service somehow qualify him to be President? There is some executive experience in that he was a flight leader. He also proved that he was not interested in receiving special privileges while a POW, he wanted to be treated the same as the others (preferably by treating the others better).

In his time in Vietnam he learned the problems of micromanagement and later wrote how him and his fellow pilots felt the civilians running the war were idiots.

When it comes to the experience and knowledge required to be Commander in Chief McCain has the better qualifications. This also corresponds somewhat to domestic issues in that he is genuinely interested in seeing everyone enjoy a higher standard of living, not just the rich or the elites.

Read up on his military experience. Even if you do not want to see him as President his story is very impressive.
  • edited July 2008
    1.Patriotic:While others were dodging the draft or enlisting in the Air National Guard to avoid service in Vietnam he was over there. He was willing to put his life on the line to further the interests of a specific political agenda that accomplished nothing except the deaths of 50,000 servicemen.
    Fixed that for you.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited July 2008
    1.Patriotic:While others were dodging the draft or enlisting in the Air National Guard to avoid service in Vietnam he was over there. He was willing to put his life on the line to further the interests ofa specific political agenda that accomplished nothing except the deaths of 50,000 servicemen.
    Fixed that for you.
    That did need fixing. Thanks.
    As a former member of the military...
    What did you actually do in the military? How long were you there? What rank did you hold when you were separated?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I was a 45G: Fire Control Repairman. I separated as an E-4 because I did not want to re-enlist under Clinton.

Due to the nature of the military I did very little 45G work. I bounced around from working on small arms, tanks, Bradleys, TOW Missile Systems, Supply and testing out new systems the US Army was looking to purchase (or should I say systems defense contractors wanted the US Army to purchase). Some of what I did is classified and I can not discuss on the forum.
  • edited July 2008
    As a former member of the military...

McCain's time in the military and time as a POW (you can read up on the details) shows us that he is:

1.Patriotic:While others were dodging the draft or enlisting in the Air National Guard to avoid service in Vietnam he was over there. He was willing to put his life on the line to further the interests of the country.
    2.Responsible: Not only was McCain a squadron Leader but, as a captured officer he was in command of the POWs of lower rank than him. When he was offered the chance to get out of the POW camp early he refused the special treatment and stayed.
    3.Willing to put the group ahead of himself: He was injured in the Forrestal fire while trying to free another pilot when a bomb exploded. After this he volunteered for duty on the USS Oriskany because the Forrestal was out of action.
    4.Not into favoritism: Even though McCain had powerful family members in the Navy he did not use those connections to secure "safer" duty.
    5.Sacrifice: In the line of duty McCain earned the following awards: Silver Star Medal, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal, Navy Commendation Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Prisoner of War Medal, (and others).
    6.Honorable of Character: Other than after being extensively tortured and doing a propaganda video for the NVA he never allowed himself to be used by any anti-war groups as a source of propaganda.

Does his service somehow qualify him to be President? There is some executive experience in that he was a flight leader. He also proved that he was not interested in receiving special privileges while a POW, he wanted to be treated the same as the others (preferably by treating the others better).

In his time in Vietnam he learned the problems of micromanagement and later wrote how him and his fellow pilots felt the civilians running the war were idiots.

When it comes to the experience and knowledge required to be Commander in Chief McCain has the better qualifications. This also corresponds somewhat to domestic issues in that he is genuinely interested in seeing everyone enjoy a higher standard of living, not just the rich or the elites.

Read up on his military experience. Even if you do not want to see him as President his story is very impressive.
    How does any of that translate into effectiveness as a President? Isn't his wishy-washy political career more telling than his service? I seriously do not see the relevance. You seem to be discussing a very different person than the current incarnation of McCain that has made it clear that he has little to no care for the middle and lower classes through his lack of concern for their plight (i.e. when discussing the downturn in the economy - that he also denies is happening- he told those that were being squeezed the hardest to "get a second job" and essentially stop whining).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited July 2008
    I was a 45G: Fire Control Repairman. I separated as an E-4 because I did not want to re-enlist under Clinton.
    You separated as a Corporal? Here you are talking about your "mad military skills", and generally acting like you're some kind of military genius, the authority on all things military, and the highest rank you obtained was Corporal? I thought there might be something to your claim of military experience, but if that's all you got, I'll stack up my two years of ROTC against you any day.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to disrespect your service, but as a Corporal, I think it would have been much more appropriate to say, "Yeah, I was in the Army. I was there for a while, then I left. That's about all I can say." instead of "I have mad military skills." If you separated as a Corporal and you weren't even in the infantry, your military skills certainly aren't "mad". They're probably about average at best.
    I separated as an E-4 because I did not want to re-enlist under Clinton.
    Bullshit. There were pretty big reductions in force around that time. I'll bet you were RIFted out.

But even if what you say is true, how fragile is your patriotism if you think that the country is only worth your service when you like the president?
    Some of what I did is classified and I can not discuss on the forum.
    Bullshit again. If the highest rank you obtained was Corporal, I'll bet the highest security clearance you had was "Secret", and if you left the Army in the early 90s, I'll bet the most sensitive thing you worked on is way obsolete by now.
  • edited July 2008
  • Here's why I could never vote for McCain:

Way to alienate every non-"Judeo-Christian" in the country.
  • "They didn't mean, in my view, separation of church and state."

I have lost all respect for this man. (Though I didn't have much beforehand)
  • Even Jesus believed in the separation of church and State.
  • edited July 2008
    Even Jesus believed in the separation of church and State.
    “Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s” and such like... (Though there is debate if this indicates that the Jews should pay taxes, or if it indicates that they should not pay taxes - hooray for clarity in religion!)
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited July 2008
    McCain's words are nothing short of frightening...
    While I am not an American, I can still see quite clearly that this is willful ignorance of fact. Not only that, but that fact lies in the nature of the supreme law of the United States...
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2008
    McCain's words are nothing short of frightening...
    Out of curiosity, what statement frightens you more: McCain's statement about the separation of church and state, or Obama's statement that the Constitution is a living document?

Frankly, I'm more frightened of McCain's scheme to cut the deficit.
  • edited July 2008
    Out of curiosity, what statement frightens you more: McCain's statement about the separation of church and state, or Obama's statement that the Constitution is a living document?
    I wasn't quite sure what the "living document" phrase meant until I looked it up just now.
    I would say that this is pretty much necessary given that society changes. However, relying on such interpretation isn't a very good way of doing things. For a start, it's clearly undemocratic.
    Nonetheless, relying on the people to amend the Constitution themselves also seems like it doesn't work too well.

I guess my main issue is that many people are willing to believe things like what McCain states. That's just how religion works, but it's scary how it can insinuate.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2008
    It would almost be worth it to see some unrest at the Conventions just to watch the neat weapons that convention security is rumored to have ready. I'd like to see someone shoot a vehicle with a goo gun.

• I heard the Iraq-Pakistan border is quite large. This guy is great, I expect nothing less from a man running to be president of the Canada-Mexico Border.
  • So, what do you guys think about theNYT Op-Ed department rejecting McCain's submission?
    I think that calling it a rejection is a misnomer, it was a request for a revision to include more substance to back up his rhetoric. The editor even made it quite clear that an op-ed from McCain would be warmly received if it contains anything newsworthy.
  • McCain makes worst gaffe ever:confuses Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    It's not cute, it's not funny... the man is so befuddled on every level from unimportant sports information to the both national and international politics. He has gone from sad to pathetic.
  • McCain makes worst gaffe ever:confuses Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    Well he just lost two key swing states.