This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

John McCain

Comments

• edited July 2008
    He has gone from sad to pathetic.
    And my friend, Chris, is still going to vote for him.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • He has gone from sad to pathetic.
    And my friend, Chris, is still going to vote for him.
    Have him look into Bob Barr - maybe he will toss his vote away on him instead.
  • For those who may not have read the second page of the article:
    In perhaps the most curious incident, McCain said earlier this month that as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, he had tried to confuse his captors by giving the names of Pittsburgh Steelers starting players when asked to identify his squadron mates. McCain has told the story many times over the years — but always correctly referred to the names he gave as members of the Green Bay Packers.
    How do you screw up a story you have been telling for years about events in your own life?
  • For those who may not have read the second page of the article:
    In perhaps the most curious incident, McCain said earlier this month that as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, he had tried to confuse his captors by giving the names of Pittsburgh Steelers starting players when asked to identify his squadron mates. McCain has told the story many times over the years — but always correctly referred to the names he gave as members of the Green Bay Packers.
    How do you screw up a story you have been telling for years about events in your own life?
    Not to beat a dead horse but senility.
  • edited July 2008
    You decide: Caught mid-crap or mid-stroke?

Third option: Pirate?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited July 2008
    McCain campaign trying to blame gas prices on Obama?

Not to mention it is in odds with previous statemens
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited August 2008
    This is the only thing Paris Hilton has ever done that is good.
  • I like her energy plan.

There was a related story that the McCain ad was the first video she starred in that got her mom angry enough to speak out.
  • Well actually both McCain and Obama both seem to support her plan.... How in the world did Hilton move policy? Do I see a Senator Hilton in the works.
  • That's the Paris Hilton that people can't stop talking about? Why does she have the body of a 30 year old, but the head and face of a 14 year old?
  • but the head and face of a 14 year old?
    They go with the 14-year-old brain.
  • They go with the 14-year-old brain.
    You're giving 14-year-olds a bad name. They are way smarter than Paris.
  • Paris Hilton reminds me a lot of Janice.
  • Paris Hilton reminds me a lot ofJanice.
    Yes. Yes she does. Wow.
  • Wow. She almost sounded intelligent for a moment. Then I recalled that offshore drilling won't do anything. Obama's proposed use of the emergency oil reserves worries me, and there doesn't seem to be much data pointing to a drop in prices. I blame the constituents, for if they were intelligent neither candidate would have to make promises we all know are idiotic.
  • I find it really funny and stupid at the same time as it shows the character and intelligence of the McCain campaign when he tries to make fun of Obama's gas saving advice in keeping the tires properly inflated. Even more funny is the list of people and groups who also publicly gave this advice one time or another like Arnold Schwarzenegger, NASCAR or the current U.S. government.

In the meantime McCain tours the nuclear powerplant that is most prone security errors and technical failings and visits Sturgis because he can't draw crowds, he has to find crowds. And then he nominates his wife for the "beauty pageant" on a biker festival. WTF?
  • And now McCain himself advertises tire inflation too. I'll eat my head if Obama doesn't win in a landslide.
  • edited August 2008
    I'll eat my head if Obama doesn't win in a landslide.
    I hear butter helps to get the whole head in.
    Post edited by konistehrad on
  • So, if we don't drill for oil how do we satisfy the needs of non-energy products derived from oil? I think too many people ignore the fact that we use oil for so many things other than energy.

Wind Farms: Energy, yes. Environmental impact, unknown but could have a severe impact on the weather based on its effect on air flow (think of how mountains effect weather patterns).

Hydro Farms: Energy, yes. Environmental impact, severe to both those upstream and down. Underwater hydro farms would have an impact on the ocean currents in the same way wind farms do.

Solar Farms: Energy, yes. Environmental impact, unknown but current technology would require massive amounts of land to be used.

Nuclear Plant: Energy, yes. Environmental impact, waste storage is a problem.

What do all of these alternative energy solutions miss? They are only good for energy production, they can't replace the non-energy side of oil.
  • Yes, but the oil that is not BURNED anymore can be used for the other things oil is necessary. Nobody says that the oil drilling stations and other facilities will be closed down. They can be easily retooled for other products and since the demand will drop significantly once other energy sources are in place, so will the price.
  • edited August 2008
    Dug up an old article about turning anything into fuel oil.

The Real Economics of Oil - A reverse look at oil refining in which gasoline is seen as the hazardous waste product. Puts forth the idea that oil companies don't want to make gasoline but instead prefer to profit off of the other things made from oil. Because such a large portion of oil is refined into this "waste product" the oil companies need a way to get rid of it. Which they do by selling it to all of us as a fuel!

I have found a bunch of articles on refining oil but I have not found anything that says if you can refine a barrel of oil into one thing or if each barrel has a set breakdown (40% gasoline, 10% this, 4% that, etc...).
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Wind Farms: Energy, yes. Environmental impact, unknown but could have a severe impact on the weather based on its effect on air flow (think of how mountains effect weather patterns).

Hydro Farms: Energy, yes. Environmental impact, severe to both those upstream and down. Underwater hydro farms would have an impact on the ocean currents in the same way wind farms do.
    Because being a little blip that goes with the flow breaks said flow just as badly as a 20 mile wide mountain in the middle of it.
  • Wind Farms: Energy, yes. Environmental impact, unknown but could have a severe impact on the weather based on its effect on air flow (think of how mountains effect weather patterns).

Because being a little blip that goes with the flow breaks said flow just as badly as a 20 mile wide mountain in the middle of it.
    One blip would have no noticeable effect. One huge array would have an effect. You are adding resistance to the current (be it air, water or electric)
  • People used to make arguments that whaling was very important and that there were no replacements for the materials whaling produced (oil and whalebone). Turns out all we had to do was invest in other technologies. This time round I think we could invest in better technologies, as pollution and climate change could kill as many whales as whaling.
  • People used to make arguments that whaling was very important and that there were no replacements for the materials whaling produced (oil and whalebone). Turns out all we had to do was invest in other technologies. This time round I think we could invest in better technologies, as pollution and climate change could kill as many whales as whaling.
    I agree. We already have a good idea of where to go for the energy component of oil but what about the rest?
  • edited August 2008
    The revelation of John Edwards' cheating on his wife may shed some bad light on John McCain when of all people Fox News question of a person who "cheated on his wife, lied to his wife and family and lied to the general public" about the affair can be trusted as president of the United States. What Sean Hannity and the rest of Fox Noose forgot here was John McCain also cheated on his first wife shortly after she was in a car accident and admitted to it.

P.S.: I love how Hannity tries to excuse McCain by stating that McCain was a POW, as if it had anything to do with it.
  • The revelation of John Edwards' cheating on his wife may shed some bad light on John McCain when of all people Fox News question of a person who "cheated on his wife, lied to his wife and family and lied to the general public" about the affair can be trusted as president of the United States. What Sean Hannity and the rest of Fox Noose forgot here was John McCain also cheated on his first wife shortly after she was in a car accident and admitted to it.
    What Edwards did was far worse. He jeopardized the entire Democratic party by lying about the affair. What would have happened if Edwards had won the nomination only to have this hit the news cycle now?

Don't you know the old mantra "it's not the crime it's the cover up"? This is one of those times.
  • I did not post this to discuss Edwards or which cheating was worse. What Edwards did was terrible and now he is paying the price.

I believe that it is a valid question in many voters minds if you can trust a candidate who cheated on his wife. McCain did that and he is running for Office as opposed to Edwards who is not. Fox News tried an attempt on character assassination on Edwards but only succeeded in reminding people of a dark chapter in McCain's life which might just influence voters who base their decisions strongly on moral values. Fox News just shot both, themselves and McCain, in the foot.