This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

John McCain

Comments

• It is my understanding that McCain became a POW on October 26, 1967 and was released on March 14, 1973. His wife was injured in the car accident in December 1969.
    Regarding his first marriage, McCain said that he "had not shown the same determination to rebuild (his) personal life" as he had shown in his military career, and that "marriages can be hard to recover after great time and distance have separated a husband and wife. We are different people when we reunite....But my marriage's collapse was attributable to my own selfishness and immaturity more than it was to Vietnam, and I cannot escape blame by pointing a finger at the war. The blame was entirely mine."
    Arizona, the early years

Americans love the rehabilitated. If you have repented or tried to make amends for your past mistakes the American public will forgive you. If you have not faced your mistakes or if you lie about them then the American public will not forgive you for those mistakes.

If Edwards had not lied about the affair for political reasons he would be better off now. Hell, if he had dropped out of the primaries citing this affair as his reason and then gone on a big self discovery crusade he would be in a great position to take the VP slot under Obama!

The bottom line is that most Americans will forgive those who genuinely ask for forgiveness and repent for their past mistakes.
  • edited August 2008
    OK, so lying is a sin that can't be forgiven even if the person genuinely asked to for forgiveness and tries to repent? Because John Edwards is doing that just now.

And yes, my "shortly" remark was a bit off since I didn't have the timeline of McCain's life down pat, but it is still no excuse even if your wife was in a "disfiguring traffic accident". You know, "till death do us part" etc.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • OK, so lying is a sin that can't be forgiven even if the person genuinely asked to for forgiveness and tries to repent? Because John Edwards is doing that just now.
    If they genuinely ask for forgiveness and truly repent they will be forgiven. It's not a 24 hour thing though, it takes time for them to prove they have learned from their mistakes. It also helps if the person seeking forgiveness comes clean without being prompted by a tabloid with pictures of the act he is coming clean about.

One of Hillary's supporters put forth the idea that if Edwards had dropped out of the race before Iowa Hillary would have one. Sadly, that opinion can also be interpreted to mean that if Hillary and Bill had been honest about his affairs he would not have beaten Dole in 1996 and may not have even one the primary in 1992!
  • Hillary would have one.
    She would have one what?
  • Steve seems to be having problems differentiating between 'one' and 'won'.
  • edited August 2008
    Steve seems to be having problems differentiating between 'one' and 'won'.
    Yes I do. Not sure if it is dyslexia kicking in or what. Spell check does not catch those mistakes and I sometimes miss them myself. The two words sound the same but mean two different things. I could understand if I was confusing beer with bier but one and won are not even close on the keyboard. Maybe I have brain cancer and don't even know it?

Yes, I do it when writing things longhand as well. Sometimes it gets so bad that the sentence I write is not even close to the one in my mind.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Actually, on that topic, Word 2007 seems to check for this sort of thing. If you were to write "I one the race", it underlines it, asking to replace it with "won". It even corrects using "its" instead of "it's" and vice versa.

Firefox's spell checker needs to catch up.
  • Firefox's spell checker needs to catch up.
    It would have to catch up yes if Firefox also was a word processor. And both 'one' and 'it's' are proper words, which a spell checker thus does not consider to be wrong. Microsoft Word has a grammar checker in there also.
  • Firefox needs a grammar checker, at least as an extension.
  • Steve seems to be having problems differentiating between 'one' and 'won'.
    Yes I do. Not sure if it is dyslexia kicking in or what. Spell check does not catch those mistakes and I sometimes miss them myself. The two words sound the same but mean two different things.
    ORLY?
    I could understand if I was confusing beer with bier but one and won are not even close on the keyboard. Maybe I have brain cancer and don't even know it?
    Simpler explanation: You are an idiot and you don't write very well.
    Yes, I do it when writing things longhand as well. Sometimes it gets so bad that the sentence I write is not even close to the one in my mind.
    This is often the case with idiots. Maybe you should check over what you write more carefully and then delete it so that we don't have to read it.
  • Or it could be related to my contracting Lyme Disease a few years back.
  • That's not what dyslexia is.
  • edited August 2008
    Or it could be related to my contracting Lyme Disease a few years back.
    So you do have brain damage. That explains a lot.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Hey now. Gentlemen, let us be civil...ish.
  • Or it could be related to my contractingLyme Diseasea few years back.
    So youdohave brain damage. That explains a lot.
    Yes it does. So, what's your excuse?
  • edited August 2008
    Hey now. Gentlemen, let us be civil...ish.
    Actually, I am being civil. I've always suspected that something was physically wrong with him. Since he has brain damage, some of the silly things he says may not be his fault.

Brain damage would also explain why he can't understand what others say to him and why he can't understand when he has lost an argument. It's a little sad.

Now that we know, I think we should be very careful not to upset him in any way. That includes not responding to him when he posts something stupid. It's not his fault. He has brain damage.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I couldn't resist anymore:

• edited August 2008
    Ah, the hilarity that is the John McCain campaign. First McCain can't remember how many houses he owns and when the Obama camp fires at him being out of touch with the american economy including mortgages and housing problems, their retaliation make it clear that John McCain is "a guy who lived in one house for five and a half years - in prison".

Campaign Manager: Quick, get the POW-shield of immunity!
    Lackey: Sir, we used it to often, it's about to break apart.
    Campaign Manager: But it's our only defense.
  • It may be typical of the pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd to disparage a fellow countryman's memory of war from the comfort of mom's basement, but most Americans have the humility and gratitude to respect and learn from the memories of men who suffered on behalf of others.
    First, this takes a jab at Obama for not being a military man. Last I checked that was not a prerequisite to being President. Second, it implies that Obama supporters are not active members of society nor of the military and they cannot even respect military service. This is also a blatantly false. Third, it suggests that all D&D; players are Obama supporters. Obviously playing D&D; in no way relates to a person's political beliefs or respect for military service. (It is like saying all pole-vaulters are Nader supporters - it just makes no sense.) Fourth, it reinforces a false stereotype that gamers are not active members of society and/or the military and that their opinions have no value. Fifth, it goes so far as to suggest that shut-ins' opinions and political beliefs have no validity. Sixth, it states that if you do not feel humbled by and respect the military service of anyone/everyone that ever served, then you are somehow weak, stupid, and not to be respected yourself.
  • Funny enough in the military D&D actually is quite popular still.... Trying to snipe at your base?
  • Funny enough in the military D&D; actually is quite popular still.... Trying to snipe at your base?
    The military is not their base, the weapons manufacturers are.
  • Well, it is Satan's Game.

I'm frankly surprised that McCain is so high in the polls. What do people see in the guy?
  • edited August 2008
    Yay! Jen's back again!
    Please note: As this thread was not started by a troll, try not to sidetrack it.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2008
    So, let's take the discussion here where it belongs.

VP Candidate for the GOP is Sarah Palin, Republican Governor of Alaska.

Personally I think she is a terrible pick. They tried to stuff in the women's vote but this is going to be tough since she is hardline pro-life. Then she is very inexperienced which makes it hard for McCain to attack Obama on that front. And finally I think that Joe Biden is going to tear her apart.
  • The news networks are scrambling to find anything to say about her. Not surprising. Considering her veritably empty track-record, it seems pretty transparent that she was chosen because she has boobies.
  • She's hotter than Joe Biden, so I think she's got that going for her.
  • So, let's take the discussion here where it belongs.

VP Candidate for the GOP isSarah Palin, Republican Governor of Alaska.

Personally I think she is a terrible pick. They tried to stuff in the women's vote but this is going to be tough since she is hardline pro-life. Then she is very inexperienced which makes it hard for McCain to attack Obama on that front. And finally I think that Joe Biden is going to tear her apart.
    We did start talking of her in the Obama thread, as Hillary will tyear her apart if Joe Biden doesn't. She is inexperienced in comparison to Obama. Her appeal to McCain, aside from the two X chromosomes and beauty pagent background (Seriously!) is probably because she was a whistleblower on corruption prior to her election as governer. I will note that some of the articles contain a questionable incident where her ex-brother-in-law was fired from his state police position after she won the election. Palin claims ignorance, but I'm sure this will be thouroughly examined again.