This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pixar Shorts and Feature-Length Films

Comments

• Like a flavor changing chewing gum where the second flavor isn't necessarily bad, but leaves you wishing it would go back to the first flavor.
    I have never tasted chewing gum, as ever time someone has offered me some, I've simply declined. The concept disgusts me slightly, so I've never put that stuff anywhere near my mouth.
    I don't understand why some people are so opposed to gum. Chewing feels good. It lets you chew without eating anything. It emits a nice flavor if it's good gum.
  • I don't understand why some people are so opposed to gum
    It is kind of a low-class and/or childish habit in many people's perceptions. (Not saying that's right, just saying that's how many people feel).
  • I don't understand why some people are so opposed to gum
    It is kind of a low-class and/or childish habit in many people's perceptions. (Not saying that's right, just saying that's how many people feel).
    Those are probably the same people who think smoking and drinking coffee and alcohol are high class.
  • Could be all the people who chew gum with their mouth open or obnoxiously. I assume it bugs people who are hyper sensitive to those kind of disturbances.
  • Could be all the people who chew gum with their mouth open or obnoxiously. I assume it bugs people who are hyper sensitive to those kind of disturbances.
    Yeah, that's annoying as hell. Don't do that.
  • I don't understand why some people are so opposed to gum. Chewing feels good. It lets you chew without eating anything. It emits a nice flavor if it's good gum.
    I like gum after eating a meal. It helps get those tiny food particles and feels like it cleans the taste of the food I just ate.

Plus the saliva is creates promotes more mouth cleaning.
  • It keeps me awake in the more boring classes. That was until I started learning how to do basic motions in light sleep...
    I am a terrible student.
  • I like gum after eating a meal. It helps get those tiny food particles and feels like it cleans the taste of the food I just ate.
    I agree that it works to freshen the mouth, but I don't know why people chew for a long time. I can only chew peppermint gum for a few minutes before I need to spit it out. Also, spit bothers me, so when I see people messing with gum, or chewing loudly, I get really grossed out.
  • edited March 2011
    I am a terribletypical student.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I am a terribletypical student.
    I don't see the difference in the correction. :P
  • Those are probably the same people who think smoking and drinking coffee and alcohol are high class.
    No, smoking cigarettes or stubs is also considered fairly low-class by most people. Pipes seem to get an exception, as do cigars when smoked indoors.

Alcohol is both high and low class. ;^) It's ubiquitous.
  • So Monsters Inc 2 is actually a prequel called Monsters University.
    That sounds all kinds of awesome.
    That sounds all kinds of awesome.
    I was kind of confused as to what the story was for the movie when it was thought to be a sequel as Monsters, Inc. as the first movie had an ending that really didn't leave it open for a sequel.
  • Yeah, the thing with Monster's Inc. was that the ending was really tied up well! I suppose they could have done the Toy Story 3 route and have Boo grow up, but I really didn't see that being as interesting a story was it was back when they treated kids like nuclear fuel.
  • I liked what they did with Andy in Toy Story 3, and I bet they cOuld tell an interesting and different story about growing up. Or with the theme of growing up. I do like the story of Mike and Sully as college mates, so nothing to complain about here.
  • It would have ruined it to see Boo grown up.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, it wasn't the same thing as Toy Story. Toy Story, it fit really well. The end of Monsters Inc. was so poignant as it was, I didn't want it to continue. It said all that needed to be said.
    Post edited by gomidog on

• Hotness
  • Why do they ever make faces like that? TOO SMOOTH.
  • edited June 2011
    So far, the only argument I've heard for seeing Cars 2 is that on average, each frame took 11.5 hours to render. Which actually might get me into the theater, but I'm not sure it'll make me enjoy the film.

EDIT: I meant to say the only reasonable, good argument.
    Post edited by jtvh on
  • I meant to say the only reasonablely good argument.
    FTFY
  • So far, the only argument I've heard for seeing Cars 2 is that on average, each frame took 11.5 hours to render. Which actually might get me into the theater, but I'm not sure it'll make me enjoy the film.

I'm going to go see it regardless of what people are saying about it as I get the feeling that I will find it to be at least fun to watch. I'm not expecting it to be good, I'm just expecting it to be entertained. From what I can tell about the movie, it's not a bad movie, it's just a mediocre movie that just so happened to have been made by a studio that has made amazing movies and that makes it seem worse than it is.
  • So far, the only argument I've heard for seeing Cars 2 is that on average, each frame took 11.5 hours to render. Which actually might get me into the theater, but I'm not sure it'll make me enjoy the film.

I'm going to go see it regardless of what people are saying about it as I get the feeling that I will find it to be at least fun to watch. I'm not expecting it to be good, I'm just expecting it to be entertained. From what I can tell about the movie, it's not a bad movie, it's just a mediocre movie that just so happened to have been made by a studio that has made amazing movies and that makes it seem worse than it is.
    I'll probably see it too, eventually. I'm not entirely kidding about the render farm issue; I work in HPC so this stuff's interesting to me. Plus you know I'm a Disney/Pixar freak so sooner or later, it's gotta happen (even just so I can be a well-informed hater when the topic comes up in those circles).
  • I will actively stand up and defend Cars, I'm actually planning on writing an article defending the movie on one of my days off this week.

But I also share your interest in the rendering times.
  • Having seen Cars 2 opening day (I'm a slight Pixar nerd) I would say Cars 2 is the most entertaining Pixar film to date. It's not the best, the most groundbreaking or the most emotional; but there wasn't a single moment that didn't make me grin ear to ear.
    It's also the most violent Pixar movie ever. There are characters getting injured and dying on screen. In a Pixar movie. Pretty fucked up if you think about it but most people won't. They'll say "derp, it's just a car".
  • Having seen Cars 2 opening day (I'm a slight Pixar nerd) I would say Cars 2 is the most entertaining Pixar film to date. It's not the best, the most groundbreaking or the most emotional; but there wasn't a single moment that didn't make me grin ear to ear.
    It's also the most violent Pixar movie ever. There are characters getting injured and dying on screen. In a Pixar movie. Pretty fucked up if you think about it but most people won't. They'll say "derp, it's just a car".
    Honestly, this is more of what I was expecting people to say. Entertainment, pure and simple.
  • @Fett101 While it's true that their might be the most injury and death, as you said, it is all being done to non-human entities in a fantasy world. I contend that one of the ballsy-est things Pixar ever did is have actual humans firing actual machine guns during a car chase through a modern, realistic looking city in the opening reel of The Incredibles. Think about all the time people like 4Kids spent airbrushing out guns in things like Pokemon and One Piece for the exact same demographic. That, as I said, takes balls.
  • I've always found the anthropomorphication of things easy so that probably skews my view regarding the violence of Cars 2.