This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Listener recomendations: Printers

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
After getting my previous printer and discovering it made skin tones go an unhealthy yellow I subjected it to a series of torturous experiments and it has now gone kaput. I am looking for a new one to up to the server I am building at the moment and the main features I am looking for are:
-CD/DVD surface printing
-Paper Cassette (holds a stack of paper inside it)
-Good colour with windows drivers (I use Turboprint in Linux, great colour but means rebooting)

If anyone has come across a printer they like could the post it; Also, what brands would people suggest and for what reasons?

Comments

• Canon MX700 works fine for me.
  • If you need correct color, you are going to have to pay. Most consumer printers are not calibrated for color very well, because most people will not notice or care. However, many of them do have color calibration tools in the settings that you can fiddle with. Also, I do not know what is required for surface printing. We just use cheap black and white Samsung ML-2010 laser printer because it's cheap and Linux compatible. If, unlike us, you print things besides maps and character sheets, I suggest you start researching the color laser printers.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm not looking to super accurate colour, I just don't want the imperfections to be glaringly obvious. I will do some research into this. Colour laser printers are good you say?

Afterthought: I think I will just go with the IP4500 (my old printer being an IP4300). It will be connected to a Linux server, so I won't need to worry about the windows drivers being worthless.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Colour Laser Printers are good for a very select group of people. If you are planning on doing a large amount of simple colour printing (graphs, charts, letterheads etc) then colour laser is great and cheap to run. But for most normal people it is complete overkill. They are large and expensive and not really designed for home use. A much better bet is getting a good inkjet printer if you want to do colour.

If you want a standalone printer get a Canon IP4500, or if you want a multifunction pick up either a MP610, or a MP600R if you need built in networking. They all have cheap cartridges, good quality photos, and will print directly on CDs and DVDs.
  • I have always had good luck with Cannon and HP printers. One thing I can say is that if the printer takes a single cartridge for the color inks it is a crap printer.
  • I think it depends on how much color you will be printing, how much black and white you will be printing, and what quality you need. If you are going to print in high quantity, laser is the way to go. Inkjets are only economical if you print very small quantities. If you print a lot, but don't need to print a lot of color, get a black and white laser printer for cheap, then take your color to Kinko's. If you print a lot of color, a color laser printer will be a good investment. Once you make that decision, then you can start to research specific brands and models.
  • I will hopefully be putting this laser printer back together in the next few days so I think it'll be Canon getting my monies [moneys? mispluralised netspeak] again.
  • The HP and EPSON multifunctions all work beautifully with linux. Canon support seems a little lax by comparison.
  • My dad has an Epson Photo R200 that can print directly on CD's and works wonderfully.
  • Canon support is very lax on the Linux side but having already bought one and then paid for the Turboprint drivers I don't have that issue anymore.