This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Age of Empires

edited June 2008 in Video Games
I picked up a copy of Age of Empires for the DS last night and I'm about half way through the Joan of Arc tutorial. Tell me, is this just Advance Wars: The Middle Ages?

Comments

• I've heard that, and I've also heard people are fine with that. However, there's a bug in the game you may want to look into, because it can corrupt the game.

A quick google found me this.
  • I rather play the PC version.
  • I found a bug in the game. If you complete the 4th Mongol mission with all additional scoring goals complete the game will go to a black screen with the music playing. The only way to progress is to leave at least one extra goal undone.
  • f you complete the 4th Mongol mission with all additional scoring goals complete the game will go to a black screen with the music playing. The only way to progress is to leave at least one extra goal undone.
    Whoah. Totally not buying that game.
  • That's just a glaring bug for them to miss. At least I know I don't have to spend my money on that game then.
  • f you complete the 4th Mongol mission with all additional scoring goals complete the game will go to a black screen with the music playing. The only way to progress is to leave at least one extra goal undone.
    Whoah. Totally not buying that game.
    Tell me about it. I played the mission for a little over an hour only to have it hang. The second time I kept saving the game every few turns thinking it was just a glitch. That is how I found out that the only way to progress is to leave one bonus scoring item undone.

Considering it came out a few years before Advance Wars: Days of Ruin it's not a terrible game. It could benefit from a map making feature. I also do not particularly like the way you have to buy in-game bonus items with points that you earn by completing the single-player missions.

It has hot-seat as well as multi-card local wireless game play. Unlike Advance Wars: Days of Ruin the field of view is not obstructed by a splash screen when it is the next player's turn. Because of this you can quickly figure out where on the map your opponent is in a hot-seat game.

Not bad for $12.
  • I just completed the last King Richard scenario and I have to say that the "hard" scenarios were the easiest. Might just be a case of learning the game but I found it nearly impossible not to get max points on all of the very hard missions.

Still not a bad game though it does get laggy when you have a lot of units on the board.

One thing I noticed in the King Richard missions is that your enemies will only go so far away from their strong points until you pass an invisible line. Even if they could charge and destroy half your units they play a more defensive game.

Another way to put the CPU on the run is to severely wound but not kill his units. He will then retreat those units back to town to heal them. If you kill his units he'll just build new ones and send them out.

Most missions can be won by destroying the enemy mines and mills (production) and then severely wounding his troops.

The most evil unit in the game has to be monks. They can convert your troops! Very evil when you bring in an expensive unit only to lose it to the enemy.
  • edited July 2008
    I just realized that the DS has a stylus and this game must be awesome on it. I play Age of Empires 3 furiously, and I'm in love with the series. Is this multiplayer with other DS'es? If so, I might have to buy one.
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • Yes there is multi-player: hot seat and multi-card.

You can buy it for about $12 at GameStop.
  • Man now I really need to get a DS. Is it 2v2 multiplayer and such? And what is the range of DS wifi?
  • Wow...
    AOE for the DS, does it translate well, because being the Age of empire fanboy that I am, I'd so buy it if i had a DS...
    Is there random mapping, or do you just have a set number of maps?
  • edited July 2008
    EDIT: Nevermind, they made it turnbased. Wtf? That is like making counter strike a racing game. Nice job Konami.
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on