This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Any Good Disc Management Systems?

edited June 2008 in Technology
Just looking for a bit of input from the forum on a huge problem I have. I have a massive collection of CDs and DVDs that I keep on hand. While most of them are outdated and will be making friends with my trash can, I'll still be left with about 500 or so discs. Currently I have a collection of binders, but as a neat freak, I lose my mind when I think about having to move each disc to its adjacent pouch to make room for any new disc that doesn't begin with the letter Z. I've seen a lot of hanging file folder systems on Amazon, but they all seem sketchy and overpriced at best.

My question is such: Does anyone know of a good place to purchase a hanging sleeve system that isn't made of cardboard and construction paper? Or do you have a different way of keeping tidy that works better for you?

Comments

• Do you really need those discs? Seriously? Go through and pick out the ones you will actually use again at some point. Get rid of the rest. Also, rip those bad boys to a nice NAS.
  • as a neat freak, I lose my mind when I think about having to move each disc to its adjacent pouch to make room for any new disc that doesn't begin with the letter Z.
    Don't organize alphabetically. Organize serially, possibly by artist or genre. Barcode everything, and make a little lookup database. Then, you can find an arbitrary disc quickly.
  • Do you really need those discs? Seriously? Go through and pick out the ones you will actually use again at some point. Get rid of the rest. Also, rip those bad boys to a nice NAS.
    Some people still like physical media. Personally, despite having every CD I own ripped to my computer, I like having the CDs in a rack in my room just in case my harddrive dies (and yes, I do have them backed up, but still...). I also like playing them in my car...and no, my car has just about no ways to hook up an mp3 player (outside of a cigarette lighter fm tuner, most of which suck balls).
  • and no, my car has just about no ways to hook up an mp3 player (outside of a cigarette lighter fm tuner, most of which suck balls).
    That's what you might think, however there are many ways to hook things up that you do not realize.

You can get some incredibly cheap car stereo head units out there with stereo mini input jacks. We're talking less than $100. Then to hook up an MP3 player all you need is a tiny cable from Radio Shack. Some head units even support MP3 CDs. That way you can fit a lot more music per CD. If you want to get fancy, you can buy a head unit that has a hard drive in it, but we're trying to keep it cheap here.

Another option is to get something like the audiolink that I have. It connects to the stereo in the same place that a trunk-mounted CD changer would connect. It tricks the car into thinking that your mp3 player is actually an external CD changer. The great part about these things is that you can now control your player with the dashboard and steering wheel controls that are built into your car.

Also, even if you can only play CDs in your car, you can make any CD you want with a CD-R. No reason to keep original CDs around when you can make a buck selling them to the used record shop or eBay/Craigslist.