This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gloucester High Pregnancy Pact

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
Source

Why on earth would someone do something like this? More importantly, why did no one tell these girls this was a bad idea? I just can't believe that in a world of contraceptives this could be going on. Hopefully, the school will come to its senses and allow birth control to be administered.

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Our society and biology are structured in such a way that biological maturity arrives way before emotional and intellectual maturity. As such, things like this should be no surprise.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Bah, Stupid punk kids. I have a 2 yr old brother and let me tell you those kids don't know what their getting themselves into.
  • Those girls never had a focus in their lives. Their only purpose is to make a child and act like a mother. When they realize they lost their freedom to hang out, they will ignore their child and that child will grow up to be a criminal. It sucks for the teen's moms, a good mom will step in and help their daughter. But if they didn't have a focus in life to begin with...
  • edited June 2008
    I am pro-choice, not pro-abortion - but in this case I recommend abortion and sterilization. Those girls are too stupid and selfish to breed.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Also, rape and/or statutory rape. Did you see the bit about none of the girl's being older than 16. At least one of the fathers was a 24-year old homeless man. It does not matter that these girls very obviously must have consented, if they wanted to be moms. This is criminal case waiting to happen--if it hasn't happened already.
  • These girls should be kicked in the stomach by skinheads. Sweep the leg, Johnny!
  • These girls think that having a baby = having a toy, unconditional love, money from welfare, keeping their boyfriends with them, etc. How do we allow our girls to grow up with these ideas. As much as I am angry at the girls themselves (they are old enough to be smarter than they are) I am doubly angry at their parents. Unfortunately, these babies will likely grow up and perpetuate the problem. It is disgusting.
  • These girls think that having a baby = having a toy, unconditional love, money from welfare, keeping their boyfriends with them, etc. How do we allow our girls to grow up with these ideas. As much as I am angry at the girls themselves (they are old enough to be smarter than they are) I am doubly angry at their parents. Unfortunately, these babies will likely grow up and perpetuate the problem. It is disgusting.
    That's right. If they are THAT young, its really their parents who need to be kicked by skin heads. It does piss me the hell off too.
  • /puts on asbestos suit.

I'm not sure that we are able to really judge this effectively based upon the information before us. I'm also not sure that these numbers are large compared to urban areas. Sure they got together and planned it. Sure, some will be a burden on society. But folks, this is an entirely different demographic. While teen pregnancy seems to be inherently unwise, some of you are advocating violence, imposing your own value systems and generally condemning what's happening with very little information. I have argued before that for some, reproduction is the primary point in life. These girls achieved that goal.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2008
    advocating violence
    I agree: violence is rarely (read: never) a real or effective solution to a social problem.
    imposing your own value systems
    This one is harder. There's a fine line between tolerance of values and intervention in the face of harm.
    generally condemning what's happening with very little information.
    Welcome to the Internet. ^_~
    These girls achieved that goal.
    Aim at a distant target, and you may well miss your goal. Aim at the ground, and you're guaranteed to achieve what you set out to do.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I am not advocating violence, just surgery.
    How about violent surgery? =P
    I can just see trying to tell this one to the cops.

"I wasn't assaulting him, I was helping him with surgery! I know it seems extreme, but ask any doctor and they will tell you this man sorely needed a head amputaiton."
  • too much funny..... no words.....
  • These girls achieved that goal.
    The goal should be to have a family.
  • The goal should be to have a family.
    The goal Thaed is talking about is making copies of yourself. Life is remarkably good at that, anything that has survived for many generations has to be.
    I suppose sometime in the history of life on Earth there might have been a species that didn't particularly care about reproducing. They died out after approximately one generation.
  • edited June 2008
    Those girls never had a focus in their lives. Their only purpose is to make a child and act like a mother.
    Sounds like focus to me. Good focus? Positive focus? Up to you to decide...
    When they realize they lost their freedom to hang out, they will ignore their child and that child will grow up to be a criminal.
    WHAT?! I agree with you up to "that child will grow up to be a criminal". That's almost like saying "Yeah, that 9 year old playing GTA4 will end up being a car thief when he's older". Sure, there's a possibility, and the game sure isn't helping said possibility, but it doesn't mean he's going to for sure. Same with these kids. Will they likely end up in some sort of broken home? Yes. But does that mean they'll become a criminal? Probably not. Maybe a bad kid that's always getting in trouble at school...but that's not a criminal.
    It sucks for the teen's moms, a good mom will step in and help their daughter.
    A good mom tells their daughter how much of a dumbass she is, teaches her proper parenting, then from there on else doesn't go beyond the boundaries of a typical grandma.
    Our society and biology are structured in such a way that biological maturity arrives way before emotional and intellectual maturity. As such, things like this should be no surprise.
    Well, teens geting pregnant shouldn't be a surprise, but a fucking pact to raise the children together? Honestly, (and especially to the older people on this forum) how many of you have heard THAT one before?
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Source
    Kirk said she and the superintendent have been in close touch with the principal. She reiterated they had no independent information to back up his assertion that some of the 17 girls who became pregnant this year had planned to become pregnant and raise their babies together.
    I apparently have forgotten journalism is dead, and I should have been more skeptical of this story. -_-
  • Regardless of the pact - use a condom. 17 seems a rather high number for the size of the school.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2008
    17 seems a rather high number for the size of the school.
    I think it depends heavily on the demographics of the school. My massive high school had a grand total of one pregnancy in the entire time I was there, and that one was from the Vocational/Technical wing of the school (which was physically locked and guarded at all times).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Never underestimate the desire of the administration to downplay this story. If they're being embarrassed by the national media, they're going to backtrack quickly. Who knows what the truth is.
  • Never underestimate the desire of the administration to downplay this story. If they're being embarrassed by the national media, they're going to backtrack quickly. Who knows what the truth is.
    How is the administration to blame? Why should they feel ashamed? Unless members of the administration impregnated the girls, then it is clearly a problem with the girls and their parents.
  • How is the administration to blame? Why should they feel ashamed? Unless members of the administration impregnated the girls, then it is clearly a problem with the girls and their parents.
    It's not right to blame them, but they will be blamed. It's sort of like how the Mets fired Willie Randolph, even though the players were the ones who sucked.
  • How is the administration to blame? Why should they feel ashamed? Unless members of the administration impregnated the girls, then it is clearly a problem with the girls and their parents.
    It's not right to blame them, but they will be blamed. It's sort of like how the Mets fired Willie Randolph, even though the players were the ones who sucked.
    They won't get blamed if enough people say "It is not their fault." Same thing with blaming video games for teen violence; more and more people are standing up to it, and it has become less acceptable to say.
  • The town will be embarrassed, and the parents will blame the school for not doing enough. Whether or not it's fair, it's how life works.
  • edited June 2008
    The town will be embarrassed, and the parents will blame the school for not doing enough. Whether or not it's fair, it's how life works.
    No, it isn't. Reason has prevailed in the past and will prevail again. It is only in accepting the unreasonable as inevitable that ensures its inevitability. Expect more, demand more, and more has a chance of success.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on