This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Friday Night Party Line 29 with Grammar Girl!

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
Grammar Girl a.k.a Mignon Fogarty is our special guest! Our regulars this show are Ray (who joins us midway) Scott, Rym and Thaed.

Here are the topics:

--Nature v. Nurture objectively speaking. What dictates human behavior more?

--Klingon, Leet Speak, Nerdish and Esperanto. If we can agree what constitutes a language, are these languages? Should people bother trying to create artificial human languages? Is the goal of a universal lingua franca a meaningful goal? Why or why not?

--Shakespeare v. Marlowe v. everyone else. Do you think Shakespeare was a real person? Do you think he stole from other playwrights? Which of the plays is your favorite and why?

--Oak Trees that grow as fast as bamboo; corn cobs full of gasoline. Think of at least two things that could be genetically engineered to make the world better if ethics were no obstacle.

We had quite a bit of fun and Rym and Scott were in rare form. Make sure you catch the stuff following the ending music.

Comments

• edited June 2008
    FYI Rym, I go to a European School in Belgium where the dominant language is french, and all the native french speakers as well as the 2nd language people say ''ordinateur''.

I know many, many french people and have never heard any of them say ''computer'' although they often abbreviate 'l'ordinateur' to ''l'ordi''. Just so you know xD
    Post edited by Linton on
  • I wouldn't mind hearing Shakespeare in podcast form, acted out by FNPL and GN.
  • I wouldn't mind hearing Shakespeare in podcast form, acted out by FNPL and GN.
    No faux English accents. You can do Shakespeare in your native dialect.
  • edited June 2008
    Are you seconding Jason? I wouldn't have thought they would have tried using their bad British accents. I do like the sound of Ray reading Shakespeare though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • People in Finland communicate mostly in Finnish. I've no idea where you got your idea, Rym.
  • People in Finland communicate mostly in Finnish. I've no idea where you got your idea, Rym.
    Failed his bluff check. :)
  • I enjoy FNPL very much. Here's a stupid question: what's the music played at the introduction of the show?
  • I enjoy FNPL very much. Here's a stupid question: what's the music played at the introduction of the show?
    I created all the music on the show using Garage Band several years ago. It works, but eventually, I'm going to change it.
  • but eventually, I'm going to change it.
    I should start charging people pennies every time they say that. And it's great music that perfectly suits the ambiance of Friday Night Party Line. Don't change it. D:

Also, once again an awesome show. I agree with Omnutia, hearing Ray preform/reading Shakespeare is a pleasure. Then again, he still has this mysterious gift of being awesome, so what else to expect?
  • edited June 2008
    I enjoy FNPL very much. Here's a stupid question: what's the music played at the introduction of the show?
    I created all the music on the show using Garage Band several years ago. It works, but eventually, I'm going to change it.
    I've heard very, very similar music as the theme tunes on other podcasts, so I guess they used the same set of samples in Garage Band.

Great show this time, by the way. I'm a big fan of Ray too.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
    Aha, that explains it. I only noticed it because it's also the same theme base that's used in the "Left Field Cinema" podcast. Thanks for a great show.
    I think this is an excellent idea, but I suggest starting out with selections as opposed to entire plays. In fact, I think it might be a good idea to have people not only do readings of Shakespeare, but their own favorite pieces of prose or poetry from other authors and then explain why that piece is important to them.