This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Issues with a Flash Drive

edited June 2008 in Technology
I am currently trying to transfer data from my PC to my Mac and have been using two flash drives (a 2 gig and a 1 gig) to transfer everything, but now my flash drives are saying that there is only 200 or 300 MB left on each drive even when I have deleted all of the files from them. What I am wondering is if there is a way to wipe the drives clean or if there is a better way to transfer everything.

Comments

• You probably didn't empty the trash on them.
  • edited June 2008
    I feel very stupid right now... thank you.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
    Wait, people actually use the trashcan?
    Wait, people actually use the trashcan?
    Mac users do
  • On Windows almost everything you delete goes into the trashcan... right?
  • On Windows almost everything you delete goes into the trashcan... right?
    Standard, yes, everything goes to the trash can instead of getting deleted when you want to delete something. I always turn it off no matter what OS, most useless feature I know off. If I want to remove something, I remove it. If I remove something by accident I was probably asleep.
  • Standard, yes, everything goes to the trash can instead of getting deleted when you want to delete something. I always turn it off no matter what OS, most useless feature I know off. If I want to remove something, I remove it. If I remove something by accident I was probably asleep.
    You say that until you remove something by accident.
  • Standard, yes, everything goes to the trash can instead of getting deleted when you want to delete something. I always turn it off no matter what OS, most useless feature I know off. If I want to remove something, I remove it. If I remove something by accident I was probably asleep.
    You say that until you remove something by accident.
    No, I've accidentally deleted something before, I just blame myself for not paying attention. I have to select the file, hit and hold Shift, then hit Delete, then I get a pop up that wants to confirm my action, and if I then still click Yes and I did not want that, I wasn't paying attention. So I'll keep saying it no matter what, since it's true.
  • I actually like emptying my thrash can (Recycle bin). It's kind of like going to the bathroom, but without the physical reaction.
  • I have never seen a recycle bin on a flash drive. Is this Mac only?
    Yes and no. OSX makes a file which holds all the trash.
    There isn't really a recycle bin on the flash drive. On windows when you delete something from a flash drive it is just deleted, instead of going to the trash like a regular drive. On a mac when you delete a file from a flash drive it goes into the trash just like with a normal file and you must empty the trash to delete it.
  • edited June 2008
    There isn't really a recycle bin on the flash drive. On windows when you delete something from a flash drive it is just deleted, instead of going to the trash like a regular drive. On a mac when you delete a file from a flash drive it goes into the trash just like with a normal file and you must empty the trash to delete it.
    So what does the ".trash" file do? it's probably invisible for macs but I can see it on my flash drive after it's been in a mac.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on