This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Running half-life 2 without steam

edited June 2008 in Video Games
Awhile ago I purchased the orange box and had to install steam. For the most part steam worked but only half-life 2 worked. I couldn't get any of the other games to work though because they needed to update and I have shitty dial-up. now steam needs to update but seams to be making no progress. I've tried to just let it go for a few hours and it didn't work. Since it needs to update it won't even let me run it in offline mode so that I can play half-life 2. Is there any way to play half-life 2 or any other steam games without steam?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    You have dial-up, yet you keep trying to do things that require broadband connections. What you are trying to do is no different than if someone tried to play Crysis on an old Packard Bell from the late '90s. You're just going to have to accept the fact that without broadband that there are many things you can not do. You will be a lot better off if you just don't try to do them.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You're just going to have to accept the fact that without broadband that there are many things you can not do. You will be a lot better off if you just don't try to do them.
    It's still bullshit that he can't play single-player games by himself just because Steam is overzealous.
  • edited June 2008
    Have you tried switching to offline mode?
    Question: Dial-up + Geeknights, huh?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Do you know anyone with broadband? Could you bring your computer to their place for a short time to do the update?
  • It's still bullshit that he can't play single-player games by himself just because Steam is overzealous.
    It is bullshit, but it's not unknown bullshit. Yes, they should just let you play single player games without ever connecting to the net. However, they don't. You know that they don't. You know you only have dial-up. Whenever you make decisions based on the way things should be, as opposed to the way they are, you are asking for trouble.

Also, I checked and the official HL2 minimum system requirements specifically lists "Internet Connection". Dial-up is an Internet connection, even if it's a shitty one. Ask Valve for help.
  • Have you tried switching to offline mode?
    That often will fail, demanding a network connection to enter offline mode...
  • He has a connection, I don't think it'd use that much bandwidth to go offline.
  • He has a connection, I don't think it'd use that much bandwidth to go offline.
    It won't let you go offline if an update is pending. It won't let him download the update, because Steam updates are bandwidth intensive. He's basically screwed.
  • Couldn't he just uninstall everything and reinstall to the original version that worked?
  • Would it be possible for me to just re-download steam from their website and use that since it is the newest version?
  • Have you tried to see if you have any open WiFi networks in your area? If you don't live out in the boonies it's very possible you may have access to one.
  • edited June 2008
    I live out in the boonies alright! I live in northern Michigan so WiFi or DSL aren't as widespread. I know some people with broadband but the road I live on is to far out of town. Cable TV isn't even available. The only broadband I can get I satellite and that is around $50 a month for 512kbps. I'm trying to get my dad to get it but he is cheap so I probably won't have any luck.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited June 2008
    See if you can get someone you know to download a pirated version that doesn't require Steam. Or try redownloading Steam perhaps, and as soon as is possible go into offline mode?

EDIT: I don't know if said version exists, it was just a thought.
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • Redownloading Steam probably won't help. A new Steam install usually updates itself many times.
  • Cable TV isn't even available.
    I thought companies HAD to wire everyone up if they wanted to serve anything. It's not getting enforced I see?
  • Go to your friends house, download new steam, put it on USB drive, install at your house. Do you live in Traverse City by any chance?
  • Go to your friends house, download new steam, put it on USB drive, install at your house. Do you live in Traverse City by any chance?
    That doesn't work. Steam updates itself when you install it. When you download steam the first time it's just a tiny thing that gets Steam going.
  • Maybe Steam is drag and dropable? Install it at your friends house, put it on a USB and take it home.
  • I have it installed on a portable hard drive (stupid expensive laptop hard drives) and it runs ok.
  • Do you live in Traverse City by any chance?
    I wish. I live in Indian River which is like 2 hours away from Traverse City. It's a very small town.