This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The World Ends With You

edited June 2008 in Video Games
I just beat this game, and I must say that this is one of the greatest games on the DS right now. The battle system is insanely fun and different from anything I have seen and the music is stellar. More people need to play this game, in my opinion. Has anyone else played this game? I would really like to know what you guys think about it.

Comments

• I've only played until day 2 so far, but it's looking to be something interesting.

The battle system, while it takes a minute or two to get used to, is pretty fun. The characters seem a bit clichèd, but this is a JRPG. On the most part, I agree with yatzee's review.
  • I bought this a few days after it was released and tore through it. Favourite game on the DS so far.
  • edited June 2008
    Have it, love it, almost done with it.

graphics- not that great, honestly, especially compared to other Square Enix DS games...but whatever. Graphics don't really make or break a game.

story- great. Characters are a tad cliche...but fuck if the story isn't original.

battle system- I really didn't get the second screen shit down until around halfway through the game. It makes it pretty complicated, but at least you can put your partner on auto...Otherwise, I think the system itself, and especially pins, is really innovative and original...and damn fun!

music- fucking awesome. Best game music I've heard in a long time. Needless to say I managed to find a torrent for the OST and I have it all downloaded :D.

All in all, yeah, I think every DS owner should play this game.
    while it takes a minute or two to get used to,
    Try a couple of hours, at least...
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Oh, yes. The music is really awesome. I totally forgot about that.

Oh, and when I said the battle system takes a minute getting used to, I meant in general. The split-screen stuff does take much longer. Is it just me, or did the beginning remind anyone of Battle Royale?
  • I'm trying to decide whether I want the game in Japanese or English. It's set in Shibuya, right? How much is it anglicized? Is it Phoenix Wright level, or do they go with a more authentic tone?
  • All of the character names are still Japanese and they didn't change any of the names of stores or areas.
  • I'm trying to decide whether I want the game in Japanese or English. It's set in Shibuya, right? How much is it anglicized? Is it Phoenix Wright level, or do they go with a more authentic tone?
    The version I got was subtitled in English, not dubbed. I think It's a great idea. It's also not anglicized at all.
    It's actually really not that bad, at all. There's everything that Li Mentioned, and plus some of the music is in Japanese, too.
    Is it just me, or did the beginning remind anyone of Battle Royale?
    It didn't really strike me as BR...too little blood. And even so, it's not like the teams are/were directly fighting against each other...
  • I really enjoy TWEWY. I think the best decision I made in buying it was getting it right before I flew up to Toronto for Anime North. I ran into so many people in the Mingle mode and was able to jump ahead in buying some great pins. Not to mention all of the cosplayers I ran into both there and at A-kon. 1 2 3 4

I beat the game last week and I am currently playing through the epilogue stuff. I need to pay more attention when I'm leveling some of my pins. I keep forgetting to allow some to gather more Shutdown points.
  • I love TWEWY as an example of how to progress the RPG genre but some chracters, one who I have desinated "Asshole Mode Raiden" for his nonsence can just up and die for all I care.
    The version I got was subtitled in English, not dubbed. I think It's a great idea. It's also not anglicized at all.
    The English version has all of the characters talking in English via speech balloons. Actual dubbing is (so far) limited to a character yelling in rage/pain, or Beat (rarely) shouting, "Whatchu say?" On the other hand, some of the characters talk a bit like "urban" teenagers here in America, or at least what the Japanese think "urban" teenagers talk like here in America. A prime example of this is "Gotta Bounce" being the battle escape option. Beat is very fond of words like "Yo" and "Man", but it's not nearly as annoying as this.

As Dkong mentioned, there's a good split of music with either Japanese or English lyrics. I know there's at least one song with both versions. There might be more, of course, but I haven't found all of the music for sale yet.

• As Dkong mentioned, there's a good split of music with either Japanese or English lyrics. I know there's at least one song with both versions. There might be more, of course, but I haven't found all of the music for sale yet.
    Hybrid, Someday, and Twister all have an English and Japanese version.

Also, yeah, I just got back from the first day of Colossalcon (4 day con this year!) and a TON of people were in mingle mode. It was really sweet. Then again, me and all my friends have some of the best pins in the game already, so we didn't benefit much.
    I'll have cosplay pics up by Monday or Tuesday. Me and my friends are cosplaying as characters from World Ends, and there's at least gonna be 2-3 other groups around.
  • edited June 2008
    I beat this game a few days after it came out, easily my favorite game on the DS and in my top 5 favorite RPG's of all time. Everything about it is near perfect as can be. Best thing about it, i'd say, is the on-the-fly adjustable difficulty. I'm able to beat the mobs on hard with my toons set on level 1, havent done much of the epilogue stuff yet though. This reminds me a lot like Gantz, anyone else think this might be a rip off of that?
    Post edited by iruul on
  • TWEWY doesn't have blatant nudity and gore like Gantz. Though that might make TWEWY better? *shrugs*
  • TWEWY doesn't have blatant nudity and gore like Gantz. Though that might make TWEWY better? *shrugs*
    I was talking about the story... The overall concept is painfully similar.
  • I'm really enjoying this game, but now I'm having a hard time getting used to this new character. When playing with Shiki I could do both screens without having to look away from Neku's screen. Now I'm kinda getting a lot of game overs because of trying to look at both.

Anyways, I really like this game. Any favorite pins or combos you guys been using?
  • I'm really enjoying this game, but now I'm having a hard time getting used to this new character. When playing with Shiki I could do both screens without having to look away from Neku's screen. Now I'm kinda getting a lot of game overs because of trying to look at both.

Anyways, I really like this game. Any favorite pins or combos you guys been using?
    I found Joshua to be the easiest partner to use, Beat being the hardest...Shiki was just on autoplay cause I was a lazy nub on her week.

As for pins...I like the "y" Jupiter of the Monkey pin. It's a powerful "slash enemies" pin. I also love the wolf pin. I got it very early in the game thanks to some mingling, otherwise you won't get it till mid/late week 3. It's probably my favorite pin though. The rest of my pins are usually swapped in and out depending on the situation. I always have at least 1 healer, usually 2 (overkill? Kinda, but different healers can do different things, plus having 4 attack pins is plenty)
  • I found that I can use two Lightning Rook pins on one deck and I can stun enemies with them. I also really like my Excalibur. I was able to get all six planets from a guy at AnimeNorth and as soon as I had six slots free, they haven't left that deck.
  • I found that I can use two Lightning Rook pins on one deck and I can stun enemies with them. I also really like my Excalibur. I was able to get all six planets from a guy at AnimeNorth and as soon as I had six slots free, they haven't left that deck.
    What do they do? I haven't been able to find sufficient info...
  • They each have their own ability, like Mercury causes orbs of water when you press space and Jupiter is like Excalibur with the slash for lighting. The bonus comes when all are together as they become much more likely to cause high damage and some of them even gain extra status effects. Their page on the TWEWY Wiki.
  • So I use the Thunderbolt, Masamune, and Mursame. The 4th is just traded for whenever I see fit, like right now I have Pop Pendulum. I'm only on the... 3rd-4th day on the 2nd week, so I don't think I'm using the greatest or have anything close to the greatest, but I like what I use.
  • So, I was trying to find out if there was any point to the user icon selection in Mingle Mode when I happened to notice something about page 41 of the NA manual.
    (Not my Pic)
  • There's really no point to selecting your icon other than for style purposes.
  • It took me a sec to realize what I was supposed to be looking at, but then I saw it and had a real big grin on my face. XDDD
  • It took me a sec to realize what I was supposed to be looking at, but then I saw it and had a real big grin on my face. XDDD
    OMG, I'm glad you said something. I didn't see it either until now.
  • LOL oh wow. I totally missed that. That's seriously in the manual? Shit I need to go check that out...wow.