This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When does a discussion thread become a flame war?

2»

Comments

• Now I want to talk more about the Rhesus Monkeys Bush.
  • Wow.... tongue-in-cheek comments led to this....
    To be honest, that's why I love this board.
    Which, ironically, wasn't a flame war. The negative side to the resolution (PETA is wacky) gave up too easily, and everyone else contributed evidence to the affirmative side.
    Which, ironically, wasn't a flame war. The negative side to the resolution (PETA is wacky) gave up too easily, and everyone else contributed evidence to the affirmative side.
    This is what is referred to as a "flame way".
  • The negative side to the resolution (PETA is wacky) gave up too easily, and everyone else contributed evidence to the affirmative side.
    Actually, this is how it should have been. I've admitted I was wrong before here plenty of times. People need to learn not to be so held in their beliefs and just follow the evidence and facts. The reason flamewars occur is mostly due to the fact that they either cannot comprehend the facts/evidence or that they refuse to accept them.
  • I'm off to commit Sepukku.
    Great linking to the irony mark, why not actually use it instead of a period? Or are you really going to commit Sepukku?

On-topic:
    It usually occurs when the posters just sling ad hominem attacks and strawmen instead of actually discussing the issues.
    If a topic continues without intelligent discussion, one has a flame war.
  • Some animals are just too tasty to be protected. Then again, test tube meat (especially creation of new kinds of meat) wouldn't be so bad.
    I'm still perplexed as to why anyone in PETA could really be opposed to vat-grown meat. I mean, other than being a dirty hippie.
  • I agree. The whole point is to prevent animal suffering right? I love how meat tastes and feels in my mouth, part of my omnivorous nature. However, I feel bad at the way they raise the animals. Vat-meat? it's just the muscle tissue with no mind! Hoorah! Yumyum!
  • I agree. The whole point is to prevent animal suffering right? I love how meat tastes and feels in my mouth, part of my omnivorous nature. However, I feel bad at the way they raise the animals. Vat-meat? it's just the muscle tissue with no mind! Hoorah! Yumyum!
    How would the meat taste if it were just grown in a vat? How does muscular activity effect the taste of the meat?
  • How would the meat taste if it were just grown in a vat? How does muscular activity effect the taste of the meat?
    Veal and fois gras have taught us that the less moving that goes on, the better.
  • Would you grow the meat in a vat and then just slice off portions? Would you empty the entire vat at once? What if the meat-vat creature evolved and grew a brain and took over the world!!!
  • We obviously don't give the meat-vat creature the ability to reproduce.
  • Would you grow the meat in a vat and then just slice off portions? Would you empty the entire vat at once? What if the meat-vat creature evolved and grew a brain and took over the world!!!
    The meat blob is dead. Long live the meat blob!
  • As to the original topic: It's not a flame war until a couple of straw men have been put on the fire.
  • I'm off to commit Sepukku.
    Great linking to the irony mark, why not actually use it instead of a period? Or are you really going to commit Sepukku?
    Explaining a joke reduces the humour somewhat. But in the context of wanting to commit ritual suicide for making a spelling mistake in such a visible place, I intentionally misspelt the word Seppuku. By using a small link I could mask the blatant irony of my comment and let people with less spelling skill think... well... what you thought.
    edited June 2008
    Explaining a joke reduces the humour somewhat. But in the context of wanting to commit ritual suicide for making a spelling mistake in such a visible place, I intentionally misspelt the word Seppuku. By using a small link I could mask the blatant irony of my comment and let people with less spelling skill think... well... what you thought.
    Aha. I have to say your joke failed. By making that much more obvious link to the irony mark, without using it, you draw away attention from the misspelled seppuku. True, I did not know the spelling of the word seppuku, and since the spell checker did not know the correct spelling for the word seppuku, I assumed it did not know the word at all and that you had spelled it correctly. And still, why not use it either way? Why would one link to unused things? That's rather silly and leaves the reader to speculate uselessly.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Well, I'm glad I did it right this time. Well done with the red ink!
  • Actually, "spelt" is valid English anyway.
  • Actually, "spelt" is valid English anyway.
    Well, if you mean a form a wheat, then it is. If you mean the past tense of "spell," that's mostly a Britishism.
    edited June 2008
    Actually, "spelt" is valid English anyway.
    Ah I see. It's British spelling I see. And it seems like the forum spell checker uses the American English, and does not accept 'misspelt', but does accept 'spelt' (since that's also a grain...). Thanks for informing me of that lackofcheese, more information to better my writing style is always useful.

EDIT:
    Actually, "spelt" is valid English anyway.
    Well, if you mean a form a wheat, then it is. If you mean the past tense of "spell," that's mostly a Britishism.
    True, but if you look at Luke Burrage's post, he uses British spelling, humour being a good indicator, hence it's perfectly correct in his writing style and should not be considered wrong. Hereby I've fixed my faulty correction.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited June 2008
    A "Britishism" does not a spelling error make; some browsing of the internets suggests that
    according to the Oxford American Heritage Dictionary, Herald colleges edition, both "misspelled" and "misspelt" are acceptible.
    Also, from Wiktionary,
    to misspell (third-person singular simple present misspells, present participle misspelling, simple past and past participle misspelt or misspelled)
    Plus, nowhere in the forum rules does it say you *must* use American English.
    I, too, tend to use English that is primarily British, since that is what is taught here in Australia.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Explaining a joke reduces the humour somewhat.
    But this has actually been quite amusing this time. Note the additional clue: humour not humor.
  • Plus, nowhere in the forum rules does it say you *must* use American English.
    When someone otherwise uses entirely American English, but spells one single word in a British manner for no reason, then I would consider it a misspelling. It's as though someone has spelled incorrectly, but by chance has happened to form a different, correctly-spelled word.
  • As it happens, I'm British. But I live in Germany, so the main influence on my spelling is the internet, and much of that is dominated by American spelling. I find myself unconsciously spelling some words in American English. The other thing that works against me is words coming out with a red line underneath. I hate those red lines, so sometimes I change the spelling to American English just to make it disappear. Stupid, I know. I'd swap completely to American English for a forum like this but, to be honest, I don't think I know all the American spelling and which are different and which are which.

Using misspelt was intentional, as I knew it would get picked up as incorrect by the firefox/forum/etc. spell checker.
  • so the main influence on my spelling is the internet
    Same here, I favour the British spelling, I don't really know why, feels more... classy? Sadly I'm all to easily influenced by the writing style of others on the internet since English is not my first language, and thus I tend to follow the spelling of those who do have English as their primary language as they are less likely to bump into the sometimes pathetic mistakes I have to think about.
    The other thing that works against me is words coming out with a red line underneath.
    Using misspelt was intentional, as I knew it would get picked up as incorrect by the fFirefox/forum/etc. spell checker.
    That's easy to fix, you can just install the British dictionary in Firefox. And Firefox is a name/brand. Also... what about Nine's unsatisfied brain finding that spelling 'error' whilst reading?
    to be honest, I don't think I know all the American spelling and which are different and which are which.
    There are many resources out there. Wikipedia has a/some article(s) on it, and Google is a good source. Though don't give in, keep spelling your words as a Brit would do! :D
  • Nah, I don't want to read up on stuff each time I use a word.