This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mega Man 9

edited June 2008 in Video Games
This shit can't wait fo Tuesday.

Wiiware, Mega Man 9, old school flavor. It couldn't be more perfect.

Comments

• Damn work filters!

Are we talking old school NES Megaman or that abomination that was on the GBA?
  • Damn work filters!

Are we talking old school NES Megaman or that abomination that was on the GBA?
    Basically it's a brand new game, but if you showed it to someone in 1993, you could easily convince them it was going to be Mega Man 7 for NES.
  • Hotness. Me likey game, me likey game.
  • I'm torn between my fondness of retro-action and my current cynicism for the entire Mega man series...
  • I read the rumor posts for this and I just figured it would probably never happen. But hot damn.
  • Concrete Man? Really? Do they really not have any better ideas that they have to have Concrete Man?
  • Uhh, clearly someone didn't finish reading the article:

Splash WOMAN!?!
  • SplashWOMAN!?!
    Mega Man is an equal opportunity robot master killer.
  • As much as this makes my nostalgia-bone all tingly, I really wish they would update the graphics. MegaMan 8, while not the greatest game in the world, had some very beautifully animated sprites. This sort of game, one that just rehashes the old sprites, feels sort of like a cheap cop out, and it makes me remember how incredibly "meh" MegaMan 5 and 6 were.

I don't know if this was done to save memory, or merely to tug a few nostalgic strings; I believe it was probably both reasons. I personally would've preferred that this game had a bit more polish and care put into it, to really make it into a grand return to the classic series, something we haven't had for over 10 years.

But, with that being said, I will still buy this game to at least test it out. Who knows? It might be just be the next MegaMan 2 for me.
  • As much as this makes my nostalgia-bone all tingly, I really wish they would update the graphics. MegaMan 8, while not the greatest game in the world, had some very beautifully animated sprites. This sort of game, one that just rehashes the old sprites, feels sort of like a cheap cop out, and it makes me remember how incredibly "meh" MegaMan 5 and 6 were.
    Mega Man 5 and were were meh. However Mega Man 8 was shit.
  • Looks like it's coming out for Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network as well.
  • Looks like it's coming out for Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network as well.
    Awesome. I was worried that I would never get a chance to play this.
  • So.. who do I give my money to... Nintendo... or Microsoft? Hmmm....

I'm guessing that for the Wii, this would be played using the remote being held sideways.
    Awesome. I was worried that I would never get a chance to play this.
    Looks like we were lied to. It's only coming out for Wii now.
  • Looks like we were lied to. It's only coming out for Wii now.
    I'm happy either way. If it is released only for Wii, that speaks to the purity of Mega Man as an NES game. If it is released for all, that is cool that everyone can play it.

Really, they need to bust this action out for DS and PSP.
  • UPDATE:
    Looks like it's going to be Wii exclusive (look at the end)

I'd prefer the game on DS over a console as well, though.
  • Trying to download Mega Man 9 as we speak, however it seems my Wii doesn't want to connect to the internet.
    However, it did just fine when I connected to the Wii store to purchase the points I needed, but now when I actually want to use the points, it decides to crap out on me.
    I believe my internet is working fine (otherwise I wouldn't be able to make this post.) If only there was a way to just hook the console directly to the modem...
  • Buying it as soon as I get home. I'm hoping for awesome music.
  • After resetting my modem several times, I am now downloading said game.
    Buying it as soon as I get home. I'm hoping for awesome music.
    This is the advantage of working from home. Not only am I working and getting some money, I also get to download awesome games.
  • How much is it?
  • 1,000 points or 10 dollars.
  • Vectorman and Super Dodge Ball were also released on Virtual Console today. Also, some other WiiWare game that isn't Mega Man 9.
  • Once I actually got the download started it just zipped by.
    Just played a few levels, and realized that my platforming skills aren't what they used to be. Music is pretty cool, although they do recycle a few tracks from Mega Man 2 (which isn't a bad thing.) No slide and no charge shot, this kinda threw me off a bit. Tornado Man's stage is my favorite so far. They brought back the screw system that lets you buy items such E Tanks and hair apparently. There's also a menu for downloadable content, although there isn't anything there yet.
  • There's also a menu for downloadable content, although there isn't anything there yet.
    I read that you will be able to pay $2 for the ability to play as Protoman. As much as I am a fan of Proto Man, I'm not paying $2.
  • I do love protoman, but is he worth 2 boxes of Mike and Ikes?
    Not even close.
  • edited September 2008
    I marathoned the 'Anniversary Collection' in preparation for this. I bet I'm the biggest nerd in the Air Force.

NEWSFLASH: This game's a bitch!
    Post edited by Pseudocidal on
  • No slide and no charge shot, this kinda threw me off a bit.
    I know it’s a call back to older times but there is no need to just ignore good mechanics because they came out later. Charge shot is nice so you don’t have to keep on tapping shoot rapidly to rack up damage (just hold the button down instead). Slide I can live without but I like having more movement options then just jump.
  • I know it’s a call back to older times but there is no need to just ignore good mechanics because they came out later. Charge shot is nice so you don’t have to keep on tapping shoot rapidly to rack up damage (just hold the button down instead). Slide I can live without but I like having more movement options then just jump.
    Yeah, I'd rather have the slide and the charge than have the screws. However, I think they realized that Mega Man 2 was the most popular, and that they also wanted to make a game with a lot of difficulty. In that context, I understand the decision to remove the slide and charge.
  • No slide and no charge shot, this kinda threw me off a bit.
    I know it’s a call back to older times but there is no need to just ignore good mechanics because they came out later. Charge shot is nice so you don’t have to keep on tapping shoot rapidly to rack up damage (just hold the button down instead). Slide I can live without but I like having more movement options then just jump.
    Me, I'll take the slide over the charge shot any day. I prefer the added mobility, as it's more useful for dodging fire. I have no problem just jamming on a button to use the mega buster.
  • I think Scott will be glad to know that there are achievements : p