This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mega Man 9

Comments

• I think Scott will be glad to know that there are achievements : p
    I just noticed that when I installed it right now. WTF.

Also, I'm not going to look up any info about what order to fight robot masters in. I'm going to figure it all out the old school way. Which robot master did people try first? I tried jewel man since I figured a jewel based weapon would have the best chance of being able to fire in many directions.
  • I'm doing Plug first.

This game is as tough as ever. I'm glad.
  • edited September 2008
    I chose Jewel Man's stage first, but defeated Galaxy Man first.

I just like to say this: "[Insert name of game here] demonstrates that today's gamers suck." In this case, Megaman 9.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • edited September 2008
    Also, I'm not going to look up any info about what order to fight robot masters in. I'm going to figure it all out the old school way.
    Consult GamePro? I tried cramming a Game Genie in the Wii's slot.
    Post edited by Pseudocidal on
  • edited September 2008
    Finally beat Plug Man. I threw my controller repeatedly over the last three hours. Gonna try Splash Woman next in hopes that electricity will be effective against water.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Does anybody else find it sexist that Splash Woman takes two notches of damage from the mega buster as opposed to the regular one? Am I just over thinking this?
  • Does anybody else find it sexist that Splash Woman takes two notches of damage from the mega buster as opposed to the regular one? Am I just over thinking this?
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, as Freud once said. I think you're just overthinking this.
    Also, the countdown for "when is someone going to romhack Megaman 2 and make this game in it" starts now, according to my magic brain-watch.
  • It's going to be difficult to recreate this game and have the levels still work as tightly as they do.
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, as Freud once said. I think you're just overthinking this.
    Also, the countdown for "when is someone going to romhack Megaman 2 and make this game in it" starts now, according to my magic brain-watch.
    I know I'm only kidding. I just found it an odd way of telling you which boss to fight first.
  • It's going to be difficult to recreate this game and have the levels still work as tightly as they do.
    I'm not saying it would be done WELL, just DONE.
  • This game is reminding me a lot of I Wanna Be The Guy!; it's loaded with tons of traps that could not possibly be avoided the first time playing through just to make you die.
  • This game is reminding me a lot of I Wanna Be The Guy!; it's loaded with tons of traps that could not possibly be avoided the first time playing through just to make you die.
    I know! In jewel man's stage there's the first time you encounter the swinging platforms. You have to jump from the final platform into the gate that leads to what I think must be a half-way boss. there is an evil wall of spikes!
  • edited September 2008
    So I remember hearing that this is also coming out for the Xbox. Can anyone verify this statement. I know I can probably Google the answer with ease, however most if not all gaming sites are blocked at work. Thanks.

Nevermind. Wikipedia answered me.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2008
    This game is reminding me a lot of I Wanna Be The Guy!; it's loaded with tons of traps that could not possibly be avoided the first time playing through just to make you die.
    I know! In jewel man's stage there's the first time you encounter the swinging platforms. You have to jump from the final platform into the gate that leads to what I think must be a half-way boss. there is an evil wall of spikes!
    Surprisingly enough, I got through this part on the first try; but because I was low on health, the mid-boss killed me almost immediately.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • Hardest Mega Man ever? (Y/N)
    Not in the slightest. Remember the words of Yahtzee, "Whenever you are compared to a magical hand that shoots bees, your going to fucking loose".
    Umm, no.
    Umm, no.
    What is then (in your point of view)?
  • What is then (in your point of view)?
    Mega Man 1 frequently rivals Contra in bullet hell incidents.
  • Yeah, Mega Man 1 is way harder than 9.
  • Megaman 1 was the rough foundations to the Megaman template (Megaman 2) that we know and love. Even if it included things that would be added after MM2 (Item exploration with the magnet line and such) it is viewed as a very rough-around-the-edges game.

It's now out on in PAL regions and, thank good, they didn't do anything stupid like have the game run at 50htz. There's classic and then there's "classic", and I'm sure everyone who experienced "classic" PAL Megaman before can safely say we don't want to go back there again.
  • I bought the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and I actually got farther in Mega Man 1 than 2.
  • Scott's going to ban me:

I've never played Mega Man because I didn't like it when I saw my buddies playing it. Mega Man 9, I've decided, was the biggest waste of 10 dollars I've ever spent. I paid 10 dollars to have fun sucked out of me -- this game is challenging, and I get why people like that, but this is absolutely not fun in any capacity. I think this game is terrible, and can't fathom why anyone would enjoy having to memorize a game you've never played before you can possibly succeed.

I'm not crying 'cause I'm losing. I'm complaining because this is just so beyond not entertaining, and it cost me money.
  • The angry video game nerd always shows these really terrible games that are difficult in the bad way. We're talking about games like Silver Surfer where a bullet that is incredibly difficult to see can slightly graze your board, and you die. We're talking about games like Karate Kid where it is almost impossible not to be knocked backwards into a hole. We're talking about that Mortal Kombat/Batman game with the impossible controls.

All of those games have something in common. Sure, they are difficult, and sometimes impossible. But when you fail to succeed at those games, you can blame the game itself. Who can be expected to figure out counter-intuitive control schemes? Who can dodge a bullet that is the same color as the background? Who can beat two player co-op Battletoads if the controls make it impossible not to kill your friend? Who can make that impossible jump in TMNT? It's not your lack of skill that prevents you from winning, it's a flaw in the game itself.

Mega Man games traditionally skirt the edge of that, especially Mega Man 9. They make the game as difficult and annoying as possible. However, every time you die, it's your own fault. The controls are smooth. There's no clock rushing you to move ahead quickly. It is possible to beat any and all of the robot masters using only your starting weapons. A wall of spikes just above a narrow doorway is pretty rough, but the controls are smooth. If you time the jump right, you'll make it.

This is why despite incredible difficult levels, many people have beaten every Mega Man game. They're legitimately hard to the limit of being reasonable. The games throw everything they've got at you, but they are never unfair. Some people will get frustrated and stop playing. Others will get frustrated and continue to the end. We threw our controllers around the room as kids, and we'll do it again. That's what it's all about.
  • JayJay
    edited October 2008
    Who can make that impossible jump in TMNT? It's not your lack of skill that prevents you from winning, it's a flaw in the game itself.
    I hate that jump. That jump broke me. I must have spent nearly 10 hours of my childhood trying to make that jump. I never beat TMNT. I thought it was my own fault; that there was some item in the game I needed to get and did not know where it was. I was not internet savvy at the time so I never looked it up I just walked away. Then I found out about the jump in my first year of University. I never felt such anger towards an inanimate object as I do for that game now. I keep it along with my Gold Zelda and Mike Tyson’s Punch out but not for wholesome reasons. One day of great happiness like a wedding or landing a dream job I will destroy it. It will make the day perfect.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • You win my Post of the Day(c) award.
  • I agree with you in a sense, Scott, but I'm beyond the point of being too challenged. I want to enjoy my games, not throw shit at them.
  • I agree with you in a sense, Scott, but I'm beyond the point of being too challenged.
    I suppose I just can't enjoy a game that isn't challenging. If I don't have to think or test a skill, I feel like I'm wasting my time.
  • edited October 2008
    Then you have reached a point where the mainstream industry can no longer satisfy you. It's over, you win, go home.
    [I can't quite work out a joke that involves a game where you have to kill Gogol 13, give me a bit.]
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Check this out.

In other mediums, like comics or movies, there is a thriving indie scene. If the mainstream doesn't do it for you, you can retreat to the indie stuff. Go to the artsy thatre instead of the megaplex, and go to the MoCCA instead of the Wizard World. However, when it comes to games, things are a little bit different. There is a thriving indie game scene, especially on the PC. Someone pointed out that most of the FPSes we've ever liked were all mods, which were independently developed.

The problem comes when you have multiplayer games, especially fpses. An indie MMO can usually get a few hundred players, even at its worst, and can continue to exist. An indie fps might be reduced to such a small player base that the game dies. I tried playing that Dystopia game yesterday, and it was pretty cool. It wasn't the best thing ever, like NS or Tribes 2, but it is definitely worth playing a bit more. However, there was only one server with seven players on it. Every other server was empty.

If a multiplayer game loses its player base so much that you can't pick it up and play it at any time of any day, then the game dies, even if the game is free and open source. Thus, it becomes incredibly difficult for someone who is interested only in indie multiplayer games, because you will not have a player base.

The saving grace I think would be if more people used the Steam community features we have. That way, even if there aren't any NS games, you can get one together by inviting the group. It's the same as XBox live, where even if nobody is playing Carcassonne, you can invite your friends.