This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boardgamegeek

edited June 2006 in Board Games
Hey all. I was curious whether anyone else here is an active member of the website Boardgamegeek.com.

I would be interested in checking out your profile to see what games are in your collections and what you rated them. Also to see if any of you have any interesting geeklists.

Anyway, if you are interested my user name is the same as here - Nazhuret.

Comments

• I use BGG, but I'm not incredibly active. My username is, as always, Apreche. I mostly use BGG as a resource to print out rules and to research new games I might like to buy. The rest of the site with the collections, geeklists and geek gold I use very sparingly.
  • My username on Boardgamegeek is: Recneps. However, like Scott, I'm not very active. I do have my games rated, but I haven't submitted much content.
  • Nice collection, Nazhuret, but it's a shame ASL didn't work out for you.

As you, my user name is the same as here: engdy

Since I've been hooked on Point 2 Point podcast, my collection has been growing rapidly in the wargame category. My credit card starts to wiggle every time I visit GMT's P500 web page.

I've got 2 geeklists that I consider interesting: a list of games using odor as a mechanic, and a list of games that can use off-the-shelf maps. BGG's down at the moment, so I can't provide links
  • My BGG user name is the same as on here, Salamon.

I log all my plays and keep my collection and ratings up to date. I have been doing a few trades recently. Occasionally I will read through the forums there, but not regularly.

Anyone here going to BGG.Con?

mark
  • I'm there under HeadGamesPodcast.
  • My BGG username is (not surprisingly) JoeLamer.
  • I'm late to the party, as usual. (I need to check out the forums more often.)

My BGG user name is the same as here: phurballdj.

I used to be more active there than I am these days, but I still track my collection and plays there. Feel free to check out my profile.
  • edited November 2009
    FWIW, mine is Bridger. I've got my whole collection in there and rated. I really like their system. If you enjoy the site and you've got some spare change consider donating a few dollars here and there. I think the site is run about half and half from donations and ads.
    Nice collection, Nazhuret, but it's a shame ASL didn't work out for you.

As you, my user name is the same as here: engdy

Since I've been hooked on Point 2 Point podcast, my collection has been growing rapidly in the wargame category. My credit card starts to wiggle every time I visitGMT's P500web page.

I've got 2 geeklists that I consider interesting: a list of games using odor as a mechanic, and a list of games that can use off-the-shelf maps. BGG's down at the moment, so I can't provide links
    I think Point 2 Point is the one that didn't like Combat Commander yes? I think I stopped listening to them when I realised that they are not my kind of wargamer. They seem to prefer the ASL deterministic gameplay. I'm much more a fan of games that force you to think on your feet and adapt to new situations. For that reason i HIGHLY recomend Combat Commander if you don't have it already. I've played it about 20 times and I still look forward to it being different every time I play. Check my review on BGG.com.
    Post edited by Bridger on
  • My BGG name is gundabad on there as well (as it has been everywhere since 1995 when I pulled a random card out of a stack of Middle Earth CCG cards to create an AOL screen name, and it stuck).

I try to keep the collection up to date, and occassionally remember to log a play, although I'm not sure what the point is cause I'm not really active with anyone on that site. In any case the only reason I thought to post this was I was viewing my online collection from work to see what I should bring to Recess this weekend for open gaming hour.

My wife is also into board games, and although she'll enjoy a game of Pandemic or Robo Rally, is more a fan of horrible childhood boardgames. We hit up yard sales quite fairly often and she likes to add to the collection. As a joke, she added all of her stuff to the BGG list when I was updating it one day, and the results are very humorous. It was not until really looking at this list that I realized there are 72 games on it, and only about 20 are even remotely good. This means we have 50 crap games in a closet somewhere. I think there will be a yardsale in our future.

http://geekdo.com/collection/user/gundabad

Examples of good games:
    - Settlers of Catan
    - Mystery Express
    - Pandemic
    - Red November
    - The Climbers
    - Small World

Examples of hilariously bad games:
    - Trump: The Game (only fun if you comb your hair over and all role play as Trump)
    - Deal or No Deal (seriously?)
    - Saved by the Bell, the game
    - New Kids On The Block (not joking)
    - POG the Game (OK, yes this one IS mine. And I do have a slammer with OJ Simpson on it that says "OJ is in the slammer")
    - Uno Attack (the title of this game prompts nightmares that a deck of cards may papercut you to death)
  • edited April 2011
    - POG the Game (OK, yes this one IS mine. And I do have a slammer with OJ Simpson on it that says "OJ is in the slammer")
    I also have that! Damn, I wonder where all my POGs are.

My BGG name is Gundampilotspaz.
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • edited July 2011
    Can I go to Boardgamegeek.com and find where to buy games? I got Risk and the WWII game.

But I want to get into the card games like Diplomacy; however, there is no place local in Miami.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • card games like diplomacy
    I think you mean Dominion, bro.
  • I know there is at least 1 board game store in Miami. Tom Vassel, host of The Dice Tower podcast lives in Miami and has spoken about his local store on his show. There are lists of stores on BGG but the site is a bitch to navigate. I suggest going to their regional forums (there should be one for southeast US) and make a post there.

Alternatively, look up a few of the major board game publishers, many of which have store locators on their websites.
  • I'm on BGG as well, SquadronROE (as everywhere else). Not very active, but my collection is up to date. It's the only way I can keep track of all of my games.
  • They have an app for the iPhone. I wish Beeradvocate would do the same.
  • Android too. It's pretty quality.
  • I love BGG! It's the best website, ever. My username is Hethalos and I use the same avatar on both FRC and BGG.