This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Internet Domains? [dot]GeakNights?

edited June 2008 in Technology
New names won't start appearing until at least next year, and ICANN won't be deciding on specific ones quite yet. The organization still must work out many details, including fees for obtaining new names, expected to exceed $100,000 apiece to help ICANN cover up to $20 million in costs.

Domain names help computers find Web sites and route e-mail. Adding new suffixes can make it easier for Web sites to promote easy-to-remember names - given that many of the best ones have been claimed already under ".com."

New names could cover locations such as ".nyc" and ".berlin" or industries such as ".bank." The hefty application fees could curb a rush for individual vanity names, though larger companies might claim brands like ".disney."
Internet org paves way for new domain names

Why has this not come up on the forums yet?

I am very ambivalent about this. On the one hand I think it would be cool to have domains for major tourist attractions (visit.paris) but I also have to wonder who would control the domain? What if Paris Texas wanted the domain and Paris France wanted it too? Paris France is clearly the more well known Paris so what about Springfield? I think there is one Springfield in every state, or should it just become a Simpsons fansite?

What about all the big companies who would then have to buy a domain name to protect their trademarks? nike.paris, microsoft.paris, etc...

Comments

• It's very bad from a technological perspective. From a user perspective, it can be good or bad. There's also the other issue of that they are allowing international character sets for URLs. This opens the doors wide open for some serious phishing problems.

I would definitely get a TLD, if it didn't cost $100,000. If I had $100,000, a TLD would not be the first thing on my list of things to purchase.
  • It's very bad from a technological perspective. From a user perspective, it can be good or bad. There's also the other issue of that they are allowing international character sets for URLs. This opens the doors wide open for some serious phishing problems.
    Yes, I already get emails from someguy@Bank0fAmerica.com. Yes, the "o" in of is a zero.
  • I am against this to a degree that is frightening.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm not that impressed with this. Right now, if I want to go to Wal-Mart, I know to type in walmart.com. It's easy for me, and good for Wal-Mart.

Other than making things much more confusing, what does this do for us?

I guess you could standardize things, such as:
    contact.walmart
    sales.walmart
    books.amazon
    electronics.amazon
    etc., etc.

Still... that's a solution in search of a problem.
    Post edited by Kilarney on

• I guess you could standardize things, such as:
    contact.walmart
    sales.walmart
    You can go even further. You would be able to just type walmart with no dots.
  • edited June 2008
    You can go even further. You would be able to just type walmart with no dots.
    Again, a solution in search of a problem. If people can't figure out how to type ".com", then they should get off of my itnernets.

Although... it is an issue when organizations have domains that aren't obvious (Is it .com, .net, .org, etc.??)
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited June 2008

I guess you could standardize things, such as:
    contact.walmart
    sales.walmart
    books.amazon
    electronics.amazon
    etc., etc.

Still... that's a solution in search of a problem.
    You can already do this:

contact.walmart.com
    sales.walmart.com
    books.amazon.com
    electronics.amazon.com

Although... it is an issue when organizations have domains that aren't obvious (Is it .com, .net, .org, etc.??)
    Yes! Imagine my surprise a few years ago to find out someone at purchased the dot net version of one of my domains. A domain I was planning to use for selling webhosting services!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • You can already do this:
    Yup. Like I said, a solution in search of a problem.
  • My angle on this is that, on an advert, you put "gomidogsrancidfoodsuplies.com" and people instantly identify a web address so who is actually going to use this?