This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Legions: Uh, Tribes 3

edited June 2008 in Video Games
http://www.instantaction.com/legions

This is made by the Tribes guys. It's free, and it's lookin' hot. Anyone play it yet?

Comments

• I was in the early InstantAction beta, but Legions wasn't available yet. Now that it is I'm not in a position to play it. Gah.
  • Anyone play it yet?
    Yes.
    it's ... hot.
    The only downside thus far I've run into is that not every player starts at the same moment. I.e. When a new game starts your flag might've already been taken before you even see the screen. Or you've already been sniped, as I did. :)
  • I've been keeping an eye on this. It's out now? I'll play it today.
  • I'll come play if you're still there.
  • edited June 2008
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2008
    Strange. I'm not getting it -- unless that's when you start up a game, because I've yet to do that.

PS: Thanks for the edit. That shit was huge! :D
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • PS: Thanks for the edit. That shit was huge! :D
    The GIMP is free, and while it may not be a Photoshop replacement, it makes it trivial to crop and/or resize images.
  • Ironically, I have photoshop-something-or-other on my PC. I was just lazy and pasted my screen cap. I guess it's not hard to size it down in the HTML. =\

Muh bad.

:D
  • The GIMP is free, and while it may not be a Photoshop replacement, it makes it trivial to crop and/or resize images.
    You ever used ImageMagick? Open source command line image editing. If you spend the time to learn the commands (or probably just the ones that you'll need frequently) it makes things like cropping, resizing, format conversion, etc., even more trivial.
  • Legions is Tribes Lite, not Tribes 3.
  • This looked pretty good, until I realized that I couldn't set reverse mouselook. I have far too much muscle memory to every play a game without it.
  • This looked pretty good, until I realized that I couldn't set reverse mouselook. I have far too much muscle memory to every play a game without it.
    I'll grant you that. If I preferred an fps control scheme that the game did not allow, I also would not play it. However, you use an incredibly weird fps control scheme. I changed mine when I got the Happy Hacking Keyboard, which has no numpad. You can change yours.
  • You can change yours.
    I can change my keyboard layout (I have several times), but I can't change my preference for reverse-mouse. It's too deeply ingrained.
  • I can change my keyboard layout (I have several times), but I can't change my preference for reverse-mouse. It's too deeply ingrained.
    And let it be so that you can change the keyboard lay out in the game to your preference, but not the reverse-mouse. I've seen some people who wondered if that was possible too, someone should suggest that option, looks like there are enough people who want it.

I think it's an awesome game. Sure, I suck at actually killing more than getting killed, but I am really amazed at how well the game runs, a good detailed 3D environment in my browser, how awesome is that?
  • I've been trying to play today but all I've been getting is a blank screen when I try to join a game. I'm not even getting the cool science picture...
  • I've not got past browser compatibility yet. It tells me I should update to firefox 2, then when I try safari it still doesn't work. Ah well, it looked pretty good fun.
  • I've not got past browser compatibility yet. It tells me I should update to firefox 2, then when I try safari it still doesn't work. Ah well, it looked pretty good fun.
    Works in FF3 and IE7 for me.
  • edited June 2008
    I've been trying to play today but all I've been getting is a blank screen when I try to join a game. I'm not even getting the cool science picture...
    I got it to work by logging out and re-logging in. Friend me at user name WaterIsPoison
    Post edited by Andrew on
    Works in FF3 and IE7 for me.
    Maybe FF3 on the mac is spacking it out.
  • Maybe FF3 on the mac is spacking it out.
    Oh, I didn't realize Mac was supported.
  • edited June 2008
    This looked pretty good, until I realized that I couldn't set reverse mouselook. I have far too much muscle memory to every play a game without it.
    At worst, there's something like this:-
    http://www.maf-soft.de/mafmouse/
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • This game is kinda bad.
  • This game is kinda bad.
    How so?
  • Hmm, Safari and FF3 don't seem to be working on my mac. I'm not sure mac is supported.
  • edited June 2008
    How so?
    Well, I suppose that's an over-statement. It's not bad, just too average. It reminds me all too much of those open-source FPSs like Cube/Sauerbraten with very slippery controls and a general unpolishedness. Maybe it's because I never played Tribes and I'm spoiled from having grown up on Valve FPSs, but if I wanted capture-the-flag style gameplay I'd choose TF2 2fort over this.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Well, I suppose that's an over-statement. It's not bad, just too average. It reminds me all too much of those open-source FPSs like Cube/Sauerbraten with very slippery controls and a general unpolishedness. Maybe it's because I never played Tribes and I'm spoiled from having grown up on Valve FPSs, but if I wanted capture-the-flag style gameplay I'd choose TF2 2fort over this.
    LOLZ
  • edited June 2008
    It reminds me all too much of those open-source FPSs like Cube/Sauerbraten with very slippery controls and a general unpolishedness.
    Slippery controls? I think the controls are dead on. The only time I have a problem is when there is lag. I can see though, how the jet pack can be frustrating to someone without experience with it, but Tribes was no different. The game is a little unpolished, but that's mostly because it is very bare-bones. It doesn't have the variety of weapons, armor, vehicles, and equipment that Tribes had.

I only have two real complaints with the game. One is that it doesn't always work, but that can be excused by the word beta. The other is that the design of the towers sometimes means you get caught on the lip when trying to jet to the top. This forces me to jet to the top of a building from afar, and makes it a little tricky to jump straight up.
    LOLZ
    That's what it's all about. I have never been that good.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2008
    Errors abound. I'm called Omnutia as you might have guessed.
    I'm liking it so far, there is something cool about having a duel with someone that turns into a dogfight at regular intervals. I am yet to be able to hit things with any reliability though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • This game is a spastic jumpy fps, and I hate those.