This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Legions: Uh, Tribes 3

Comments

• Interesting, I find most FPSs to have infantry that is just too slow and so I really like the jetpacks.
  • This game is a spastic jumpy fps, and I hate those.
    Why, because you need quick reflexes and have to aim?
  • This game is a spastic jumpy fps, and I hate those.
    Why, because you need quick reflexes and have to aim?
    Yes, I like my fps games to be slower and more tactical.
  • Yes, I like my fps games to be slower and more tactical.
    The reason you won't find so many tactics in this is because Tribes was designed to have humongous maps, more complex buildings, lost more equipment, vehicles, etc. When they do have all those things, they are fast and tactical. In other words, awesome.
  • Yeah, I liked repairing the base and flying the troop transport in tribes back in the day.
  • The reason you won't find so many tactics in this is because Tribes was designed to have humongous maps, more complex buildings, lost more equipment, vehicles, etc.
    If this game had those things, I would enjoy it.
  • It's dead, Jim.
    Wow, the whole thing. Garagegames.com, everything. Pretty much just keeping it alive for people who paid for Torque Engine. I should have suspected something when that other company started making a game with the Tribes license. They must have sold off the license as part of liquidation, or maybe it expired.
  • It's dead, Jim.
    Back? This looks like the same thing. Downloading now.
  • It's dead, Jim.
    Back? This looks like the same thing. Downloading now.
    I'll try it, if it's free, but I'm doubtful. I am more optimistic about Tribes: Ascend, but still very doubtful.
  • I am more optimistic about Tribes: Ascend, but still very doubtful.
    I agree, after re-playing Tribes Vengeance again recently. While widely ignored and derided, it actually does extremely well - it takes much of what is good about tribes 2, and added polish to it, but unfortunately, with some little things, instead of polishing them, they removed them or changed, and that was not always a good choice - however, it is a good second place to tribes 2, on the scale of things. You'd be surprised how much small things like a targeting laser can change the game and how it plays, but that's another point for another time.

I've got some hope for Ascend - If they essentially try to do what they set out to do with Vengance - make a polished, perfected sequel to Tribes 2 - then that does make me quite optimistic about it, IF they manage to use the lessons they learned with vengeance, but also keep as much of tribes 2 in it as they can. Also, that they are focusing on Multiplayer and not adding in a story section gives me a bit more hope about the whole deal - they can focus, instead of having to focus on what would likely be a short, not so great singleplayer campaign like many of the Faux-realistic millitary shooters today.

Essentially - if they take Tribes 2 and Tribes Vengance, and smash them together, then we are on for a winner.
  • The Tribes looks good, but charging for classes is kinda meh. On the one hand, you can think of the price of all the classes combined as the price of the game. But on the other hand, it's not a fair game if you have a mix of paid and unpaid players. Then again, what if you have a situation where a player hasn't paid, but even if he did pay he would never pick any of the non-free classes anyway.

Also, can you still say shazbot?
  • I agree, it is looking good, and on a rare occasion - buy your lottery tickets now, folks - I'm agreeing with Scott entirely on this one.

My original assessment of "Tribes 2 + Vengance = Tribes Acend" is looking reasonably accurate, and so far, I'm cautiously optimistic. Either way, I'll be playing it, so I might as well look forward to it - It's more fuckin' tribes, how much can I complain about that?
  • I havn't looked at anything about this game really, but I miss tribes. That was "my" first person shooter. It was by-far one of the most ambitious in terms of features for its time, and I loved it - even on dialup where I couldn't hit anything half the time. Of course, part of the reason I loved the game was because the way it was described in the advertising and instruction book implied a more team-oriented and stateful game, things it would never live up to in that era.

I miss some of the mods too.
  • Skiing actually looks pretty good...
  • Here's an idea that could save games like Tribes Ascend. Have a free to play edition that has all the micro-transaction level up nonsense.

Also have a competition edition. $50 gets you the full game forever. The competition edition has no persistent nonsense. Also the two communities of players are completely segregated. Not only would the competition edition be a better game, but it would have a better community of players.
  • Could just stick to using servers with all unlocks turned on.
    There probably isn't that kind of opinion in free to pay game. I could kinda break the business model.

• Here's an idea that could make Scott buy games like Tribes Ascend. Have a free to play edition that has all the micro-transaction level up nonsense.
    That has one really big problem. Dividing the player base is never a good idea for a multiplayer game. Let's say that that happens and you get the Pro-Tribes with no baby gamer bullshit, you and handful of other Tribes fanatics. Then while Free to play players are having a blast you would be in trouble to find server with acceptable number of players. Unlikely scenario, but more possible if the player base is divided than if it weren't.

Also the free to play player with full unlocks would be identical to the pro-version player, so why should they be separated, because one is second tier citizen and not great enough to dine in tables of true pro Tribesers?

• edited November 2011
    Could just stick to using servers with all unlocks turned on.
    There probably isn't that kind of opinion in free to pay game. I could kinda break the business model.
    In that video, it shows that all classes can be purchased with currency you earn in the game or currency you buy with real cash. I could see a few servers, that don't give any experience, having all the unlocks.

It appears that you're just paying to skip a "grind", but if you're playing Tribes to unlock stuff, it's not much of a grind.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
    In that video, it shows that all classes can be purchased with currency you earn in the game or currency you buy with real cash. I could see a few servers, that don't give any experience, having all the unlocks.

It appears that you're just paying to skip a "grind", but if you're playing Tribes to unlock stuff, it's not much of a grind.
    It also seemed that the perks and maybe skills are not payable, so you would have to grind for those. You can probably also pay for some kind of exp boost, but even that would only help not eliminate the grind.

Also I fell that the word grind doesn't suit here, if the game is good it shouldn't feel like grind.

• It's not just unlocked either. I saw leveling up bullshit in there that did not appear unlockable with money.

Also, the fact that they have classes bothers me. Part of what makes Tribes great is customizability. You create your own classes, not pick from pre-configured ones.
  • I don't see classes as a bad thing at all. It just removes unnecessary complexity from the game. I believe that classes can lure players into team dynamics more easily. If I pick a class called defender I probably will have to defend something. Of course it could also have the same problem that I have seen in low level LoL, 90% of players play damage dealers and when I see a tank or support those are usually build more for damage too. On the other hand same problem would be without classes.
  • I don't see classes as a bad thing at all. It just removes unnecessary complexity from the game. I believe that classes can lure players into team dynamics more easily. If I pick a class called defender I probably will have to defend something. Of course it could also have the same problem that I have seen in low level LoL, 90% of players play damage dealers and when I see a tank or support those are usually build more for damage too. On the other hand same problem would be without classes.
    Complexity is what tribes is all about. Here is a list of things that a Tribes 2 player carried with them, all of which were necessary.

1) A bunch of weapons. Heavier armors carried more weapons. They also had access to larger weapons, like the mortar launcher. Even small armors could have four weapons, if I remember correctly.
    2) Jet pack
    3) Regular pack. This is the most important thing you carry. Some people carried energy packs which doubled your energy capacity and recharge rate. That allowed for more jet packing and more firing of energy weapons like the sniper rifle. Some people had healing packs that let you heal structures and teammates. I often preferred to carry the satchel charge, which was a gigantic bomb you set off with a remote control. There are a lot of packs.
    4) Grenades.
    5) Mines
    6) Medkits
    7) Targeting laser.
    8) deployable beacons
    9) deployable turrets
    10) deployable inventory stations
    11) deployable sensors

This doesn't include the shit you can do with vehicles.

That's a huge part of what made Tribes great. You were loaded with equipment, and all of it was important. Noobs would only use the gun and that's it. They would always get killed by mines, not even knowing they had them or even that mines existed.
  • Wait what! You say that it is good game design where game just laughs at noobs who doesn't know all the mechanics of the game.
    Noob: "Wtf, I just exploded out of nowhere!"
    Game: "LOL, it was a mine, learn to deal with it."

You say that is what made Tribes great. I always thought it was fast paced movement and maneuvering and combat with jetpacks and big maps with huge amount of players. But if ridiculous complexity was what made the game good, then fuck it.

I always prefer simple gameplay where mastering it is the key over to you have to know everything in this complex system to win, gameplay.
  • Deployable turrets/inventory/ammo were packs.

There were also non-deployable plasma turrets, mortar turrets, missile turrents, and indoor blaster turrets, inventory stations, ammo stations, generators, vehicle stations, and the rarely used command stations (in the original tribes).

I completely forgot about mines. I don't think they were ever a big part of my strategy.

Sensors and jammers were also pretty interesting to play with, but always seemed cooler than they came out to be in practice.

I remember one of my first discoveries was using the command station to control a mortar turret. On most maps it was placed so that you had to have someone with a targeting laser to give you an idea of where to lob them though.

I don't mind classes so-much, but leveling up flat bonuses (+hit points? speed?) annoy me.
  • edited November 2011
    Wait what! You say that it is good game design where game just laughs at noobs who doesn't know all the mechanics of the game.
    Noob: "Wtf, I just exploded out of nowhere!"
    Game: "LOL, it was a mine, learn to deal with it."

You say that is what made Tribes great. I always thought it was fast paced movement and maneuvering and combat with jetpacks and big maps with huge amount of players. But if ridiculous complexity was what made the game good, then fuck it.

I always prefer simple gameplay where mastering it is the key over to you have to know everything in this complex system to win, gameplay.
    It was part of what made Tribes great. The combination of the fact that you had a huge inventory of equipment and also the fast-paced fps jetpack gameplay. Two awesomes simultaneously.

Sensors and jammers failed in practice because noobs didn't really look at their radar very much. Mostly I would just concentrate on blowing up the non-deployable sensors and making sure a few deployable sensors were near the enemy base. That way you knew what direction to approach the enemy base, and they were unlikely to see a red arrow above your head as you got close. Perfect for my satchel charge attack.

Also, whenever I was in a friendly structure I would deploy mines at choke points or on equipment. It couldn't hurt. You want there to always be some mines on or near the flag. That way someone with low health can't cap. Even if someone with lots of health caps, they'll have less health for their escape.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It was part of what made Tribes great. The combination of the fact that you had a huge inventory of equipment and also the fast-paced fps jetpack gameplay. Two awesomes simultaneously.
    Well that's what you like and you want and I don't judge you. (Actually I do, but let's not become enemies here). I personally just want some Quake with jetpacks and big levels, something that I can see, understand and play. I really don't want a game where I first have to get destroyed about half a million times before I get the basic grasp of the game.