This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Legions: Uh, Tribes 3

13»

Comments

• It was part of what made Tribes great. The combination of the fact that you had a huge inventory of equipment and also the fast-paced fps jetpack gameplay. Two awesomes simultaneously.
    Well that's what you like and you want and I don't judge you. (Actually I do, but let's not become enemies here). I personally just want some Quake with jetpacks and big levels, something that I can see, understand and play. I really don't want a game where I first have to get destroyed about half a million times before I get the basic grasp of the game.

In Tribes you wont' get destroyed if you don't know what's going on. If you can do the jetpack quake part, you will actually be quite successful at not dying. You just might fail at more nuanced things. For example, some sniper might be way up high where you can't reach. You won't realize you need an energy pack to get up there. Or someone might want to point out a particular location to your opponents, but will be bad at communicating because you don't know how to deploy a beacon. You can solve all that just by reading and remembering all the instructions. No dying necessary.

• The biggest skill gap in Tribes 1 was always basic jetpack use/skiing and being able to hit things with relatively slow-moving projectiles against relatively fast-moving targets (compared to most games, where bullets are near-instant and targets can only move +/- 5 feet before contact.

I loved tribes for the speed and pacing, one of my biggest joys in it was that you could actually avoid shots. In other words, even if the guy could click on your head faster than you could click on his, you still avoid and retaliate.
  • So there's a key giveaway for the closed beta of Tribes: Ascend over at a place called curse.com. Reddit thread. It seems to be legit and largely evil free. I just activated a key on the platform they use. You do need an account on curse but don't need to do anything else to get the key. It also looks like they don't do strong checking for account activation so I got the email confirm bit and intend to ignore it. So you may also be able to get away with a false email.
  • Thanks Shiam, I just got my key!
  • edited November 2011
    So I've been playing Ascend, and it's a shitload of fun, the only issue is that I keep crashing to desktop every few rounds because of a "virtual memory error". I don't see how I could be running out of memory if I can play 2 games in a row fine, but it seems something is going wrong.

Any ideas? I googled around and couldn't find much.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Considering it's in beta, your best technical support might be to submit a dxdiag and the specifics of the error including events happening when it was triggered to the company. It's not impossible that it's an issue on your end, but it still sounds like something for them to know about.
  • Considering it's in beta, your best technical support might be to submit a dxdiag and the specifics of the error including events happening when it was triggered to the company. It's not impossible that it's an issue on your end, but it still sounds like something for them to know about.
    I filled out and submitted the crash report that got generated when it crashed.
  • Played me some. Seems pretty fun. It's different. Definitely easier to hit people dead on with the spinfusor than I remember it.
  • So played some more. It's fun. But they really make it a pain in the ass to play for free. I've spent a few hours, and I've only unlocked 3 bonuses. If you pay, you can at least unlock at 3x that speed. Very lame. So I just get medium armor and a disk launcher. My sidearm is essentially useless. I've tagged more kills with my melee than the pistol. I also have less ammo, less speed, and less health than somebody else.

They made an OK game, they just want you to pay for it in microtransactions...
  • Well it is their business model to make people want to buy the stuff instead of waiting for it, I can't really blame them from wanting money, that's how the free-to-play works.
  • Yeah I don't think their setup is all that bad. Then again I haven't gotten to really play it. It appears for the current level of optimization is not sufficient to let it run usefully on my comp. That or my internet is being that terrible.
  • I finally got it to run without crashing every other game. The first thing I've noticed is that people are bad. I've barely played Tribes at all, but I'm going at least 2:1 KD in every game, getting caps, etc.

Does anyone have any tips for a Tribes noob? People are using acronyms and terms I haven't heard. Maybe a quick summary?