This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Diablo III

Comments

• Only four? Sadface. I was hoping for something bigger.
    Their argument for this is there aren't really that many times when >4 would be fun so they capped it at that.
    I havn't played enough of the game to comment on that, they could be very right. But I know that 8-player diablo 2 lan-parties were pretty awesome.

• The problem in the first few hours was error 37. Basically, the authentication servers were full up. People were in and playing but the ability to get in was being hampered at that bottleneck.

It was good for a few hours from about 4AM PDT and 7AMPDT and then all the sensible gamers who got their copies and went to bed got up and put stress on the log in servers again.

Presently, they are offline to try and improve capacity and bring another auth server online.

The game servers are solid as a rock. ;-)
  • For now. It's not inherent server instability they are dealing with. It's volume. Once they get that settled (2-3 max from what I'm hearing from the inside), she'll be smooth sailing.
    Remember. Those servers are for single player too. It won't drop off nearly as much as other games do.

I am aware. They just need to make authentication supply meet demand. Games running on the server take soooooooo few resources. The entire game isn't running on the server for each instance. It's basically managing the environment on the user end, so the user is still doing almost all the heavy lifting.

• Ahh, Blizzard servers extended downtime maintenance on Tuesdays. That brings back memories.
  • I actually enjoyed Co-op of Diablo more than Diablo II in some ways... it was much more difficult and that kept the tension high.
  • I will say that the game isn't really worth buying unless you plan on playing with others. I played through the beta solo but I could see that starting to get really boring had I continued.
  • As I said, I won't be able to play till Sunday. If I can get a group that just wants to play together as a team for a while, that would be fantastic. I'm willing to schedule things out in sessions just like I would for a table-top RPG and such. That's typically the highest value play for me.
  • AmpAmp
    edited May 2012
    Wow is there even a point in playing this if all the names I want are banned?? http://www.diablowiki.com/Diablo_III_Banned_Character_Names
    I love that ShadowBane is on that list. Also for fun try to read from the list as if you were introducing a mighty warrior to the court. It provides great amusement.

Post edited by Amp on
  • I still don't get it. Everybody knows there is going to be a huge amount of traffic. Why are they never ever prepared?
  • They even had a free demo weekend stress test. It's baffling to be honest.
  • Yeah it is sort of confusing. I figured Blizzard out of any company would have their shit together as far as server management.
  • I still don't get it. Everybody knows there is going to be a huge amount of traffic. Why are they never ever prepared?
    Because servers cost money, and they know they're going to sell out of their initial printing of this game no matter what. By the time the second wave of people would buy it, the servers will be fine and all the people who are complaining now will be screaming at their friends to buy it.
  • Blizzard never has their shit together for the shear volume of launch day. This happens every time. I think there's just a lot more people that want to log on the first day than any other time and they don't want to pay for the capacity to handle the first rush.
  • Blizzard never has their shit together for the shear volume of launch day. This happens every time. I think there's just a lot more people that want to log on the first day than any other time and they don't want to pay for the capacity to handle the first rush.
    I still don't get it. Everybody knows there is going to be a huge amount of traffic. Why are they never ever prepared?
    Because servers cost money, and they know they're going to sell out of their initial printing of this game no matter what. By the time the second wave of people would buy it, the servers will be fine and all the people who are complaining now will be screaming at their friends to buy it.
    both obvious points that I'm always confused as to why people think a company is going to behave in a way that doesn't maximize profits and contain costs.

• both obvious points that I'm always confused as to why people think a company is going to behave in a way that doesn't maximize profits and contain costs.
    Well I'm not even considering buying this game til next week. :P
  • I played 40 minutes before work. I will likely be on again around 8:30 p.m. EDT.
  • It's very likely that something is a bottle-neck that they didn't expect, and even if they did expect it, someone else has a job to manage costs and they thought they could skirt around some of the lesser problems till it's too late. Honestly, that the login servers are being overwhelmed is at least a non-catastrophic problem.
  • I'd happily take Day 1 server issues over a broken/exploitative economy. Am I really the only one that's fine with the need to connect online to play the game.
  • I'd happily take Day 1 server issues over a broken/exploitative economy. Am I really the only one that's fine with the need to connect online to play the game.
    You don't fly in planes, do you? There's no reason to require a constant connection to the internet when playing purely single player.
  • I played a little of the D3 tonight. I hate to say it, but I'm just not that impressed with it. This may sound like a strange complaint, but it's just D2 with better graphics. Hell I should just play D2.

I hadn't really looked at, or been in the beta for it. I got it for "free" since I got the annual pass for Wow. But if I had put out $60 for this game, I'm thinking I would be pissed right now. Plus with the bullshit DRM that is has, people that actually like the game can't even play it.
  • edited May 2012
    You don't fly in planes, do you? There's no reason to require a constant connection to the internet when playing purely single player.
    Did you play Diablo 2 back in the day? The massive expanse of bots and item hacks ruined the trading economy of the game, promoting exploitation and cheating. An online connection requirement would greatly mitigate the problem of bots and exploits.

With the prevalence of MMO's and Steam, requiring an internet connection to play has become pretty standard.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • The online requirement has nothing to do with bots or exploits, those things occur all the time in online games. This is noting but DRM, and shitty DRM at that. The pirates are probably playing the game right now, and the people who payed aren't. There is no need to have to connect to the internet every time I play a single player game.

• edited May 2012
    Most of the item exploits in Diablo 2 came from the modding of local files, then bringing your profile online. Having constant profile authorization would mostly prevent these exploits from getting out of hand, and it'll drastically lessen the potential problem of a broken economy.

Perhaps I'm more ok with this because I have always wanted a Pokemon MMO. Server side authorization would prevent the prevalent problem of locally hacked Pokemon, which ruined the trading economy and scrambles the entire meta game. Diablo 2 had similar problems.

I know that requiring an Internet connection can be inconvenient in certain situations, but the long-term benefits far outweigh the negatives.
  • I have never understood how dupping "broke" the game. Most people who were buying stuff off the web sites for D2 knew what the deal was. I really never affected me at all. Now I can't speak for how it would affect a Pokemon MMO, but the fact that it's an MMO makes it a requirement to be online. A MMO is not a single player game, and comparing a single player game to a MMO isn't valid.

• edited May 2012
    I said that it broke the item economy, which is a huge part of the entire Diablo experience. The fact that there is a real currency auction house in Diablo 3 emphasizes the need for online authorization. Also, no. A vast majority of people who were scammed by D2 exploiters had no idea what was going on until it was too late. The game made it incredibly easy to grief and exploit unsuspecting beginners, because all the data files were local and easily hacked.

I just used a Pokemon MMO as an example because it is the most requested way to create a Pokemon game for the PC. The Pokemon games have the same problem as Diablo 2. Catching, trading and training Pokemon are huge parts of the game, just like how looting, trading, and forging items are a huge part of Diablo.

If a non-mmorpg Pokemon game came out for the PC, I would definitely want it to have online authorization, too.

It's really not that big of a deal.

• How would a legality check require a constant internet connection?
  • I don't see how requiring constant online access for single player is the same as a pokemon MMO.
  • I never understood why anyone would be upset about item hacks and cheats in Diablo. It's not WoW. It's a single player game. So what if I have max everything? I think there was a Penny Arcade about this, but I can't find it.

"Who am I cheating, satan? Fuck him!"
  • I never understood why anyone would be upset about item hacks and cheats in Diablo. It's not WoW. It's a single player game. So what if I have max everything? I think there was a Penny Arcade about this, but I can't find it.

"Who am I cheating, satan? Fuck him!"
    Isn't a lot of Diablo, the PVP/Griefing and playing multiplayer? If I get the game it will probably be solely to play with other people..