This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fast FPS?

edited June 2008 in Video Games
I'm a relatively new FPS player (I started at about Half Life / Deus Ex / 1997), and I wanted to try some of the older, faster FPS games. I've heard a lot about Action Quake II and Tribes 2, and was wondering what others the forum recommends. I want to re-introduce a good fps into the weekly lan party I attend, as they've been playing TF2 (They used to play UT). It needs to be a true, fast, small hitbox fps, but be relatively simple. (not too much scripting required)

Comments

• Quake 3 was the first one that didn't require lots of scripting. It was also the first one that was slow. I don't know of any new fast fpses. I guess you could try the newer Quake 4 or Quake Wars, but I don't know how fast they are.
  • edited June 2008
    Could you retitle "Fast FPSs", I thought it was about getting high FPS rates.
    I want to get a regular Tribes 2 game going but we need the players, apparently. If anyone wants to play, post below.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I want to get a regular Tribes 2 game going but we need the players, apparently. If anyone wants to play, post below.
    Technologically speaking, how will you make it happen?
  • edited June 2008
    There is a patch that allows you to enter any IP in the LAN games screen. I did some reading up on it a while ago. If people are interested I'll write up the full guide.
    Are you incredulous or intrigued?
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8410692244598728784
  • There is a patch that allows you to enter any IP in the LAN games screen. I did some reading up on it a while ago. If people are interested I'll write up the full guide.
    Are you incredulous or intrigued?
    Couldn't you also use Hamachi?
  • Hamachi is also an option. It would also mean we could have a permanent game group outside steam.
  • If you do all the work of figuring out how to get the game so everyone can install it, update it, play together, etc. It's worth it to play the best fps ever.
    edited June 2008
    If anyone wants to play, post below.
    What about those who wish to comment, yet don't want to play? Hmmm? I wish to play, though don't have Tribes 2. And it would mean I'd have to log in to Windows even more.

Good luck Omnutia, report back to base when you've gathered more intel.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited June 2008
    Problem with Hamachi: limited number of people.
    Ok, I'll look into things. If we could get a guide written up and you mention it on the show then we shouldn't have trouble with numbers. Got anything that could be used for a server?

Urgh, by post below, I meant, post something along the lines of "I want to play" below.
  • Got anything that could be used for a server?
    Nope. Find someone in college with a static IP, a fat pipe, and a spare machine.
  • Nope. Find someone in college with a static IP, a fat pipe, and a spare machine.
    >_> Hi guys.
  • edited June 2008
    While we're talking about Tribes 2 I just want to make a mention of the music. The best was the music it played while the maps were loading. No fps other than Doom had music that pumped you up like Tribes 2.

Did we do a show on Tribes 2?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2008
    Did we do a show on Tribes 2?
    I don't have to tell you to use the search facility on your own website, do I? You have, as it happens, you were bitching a lot about all the updates watering it down.
  • I don't have to tell you to use the search facility on your own website, do I? You have, as it happens, you were bitching a lot about all the updates watering it down.
    Well, since switching to the Google search it hasn't been as reliable. I think I'm going to switch it back. Also, I know we've talked about it on the show, but did we actually do a whole show on it?
  • Yeh, I checked and couldn't find it. On an up note I found this which I will probably condense.
  • Yeh, I checked and couldn't find it. On an up note I foundthiswhich I will probably condense.
    Alrighty then. We'll probably test it out this week, and give it a go next week after the holiday.
    How the best FPS ever was wrecked.
    Hmm, I have to listen to that episode again. If we just talked about how Tribes 2 was patched to death, that's one thing. Doing an actual show on Tribes 2, and why it is awesome, is something else entirely.
  • Well try and keep that show until we have the server set up.
  • Hmm, I have to listen to that episode again. If we just talked about how Tribes 2 was patched to death, that's one thing. Doing an actual show on Tribes 2, and why it is awesome, is something else entirely.
    And I don't think you guys ever did that. I too do remember you guys talking about how it died/got worse, but don't remember the specifics.
  • Andrew, are you ok working out how to get the server up?
  • Andrew, are you ok working out how to get the server up?
    You will have to wait until I go back to school in August if you want to use my comp.
  • I found my Tribes 2 CD-ROM and key.
  • I have one here and the key is absolutely useless, the authentication servers are no more.
  • Tribes 2 has been freely downloadable forever. It's just you can't play it without the authentication, obviously.
  • Which is what you need the guide for.
  • edited June 2008
    I don't know if it works, but...
    *Drops a link*
    Link
    *Walks away inconspicuously whistling*
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Well, everything seems to work. Now we just need a server to play on.
  • edited July 2008
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited July 2008
    Oh my god. It looks as if we will finally find out if this game is really the amazingness that Scrym always says it is.

[Edit] I can only assume that this Tribes: Vengeance is made of fail or else Scrym would be playing it. What exactly is inferior about it?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It isn't related really, the original people sold the rights to the people who made Tribes: Vengeance.