This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Watership Down

edited June 2008 in Everything Else

Watership Down is an excellent book. I want to talk about it. I think Bigwig is my favorite. Who else has read this?
Gomidog, try to contain the bunny fangirl.

Comments

• Gomidog, try to contain the bunny fangirl.
    Too late. You let the bunny out of the cage.
  • edited June 2008
    Kyaaah! You did that on purpose! You knew!
    I think Bigwig is my favorite.
    I like Bigwig a lot too. He's the sarcastic tough one, kinda the Jayne of the group if Jayne wasn't so boneheaded. It's hard to say which character is my favorite, but I like Dandelion for the stories he tells. The El-ahrairah myths are some of my favorite bits in the book. Actually, the short I am working on right now is called "Inle." (The subtitle is "Rabbit in the Moon") The title is an obvious homage to Watership Down, but it works really well, because not only is the Lapine word "Inle" used for the Grim Reaper figure in the book, but also refers to "moonrise," tying it into the Buddhist myths about the spirit of a rabbit living in the moon. My movie has both a shinigami and the full moon, so I am very happy with all the connections.

An interesting note: Many people interpret the book to be about Communism, totalitarianism, and Stalin-esque dictators. Richard Adams recently came out and said "Um, no. It was just a story I told my kids. I wasn't trying to be deep and political." That reading of it still stands, however, intentional or not.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I am unfamiliar with Jaine.
  • I am unfamiliar with Jaine.
    Jayne from Firefly.
  • I saw the animation of this when I was a child and I have been too traumatized to ever read the book.
  • Book is much better than the movie. Fewer rabbits die, actually. (For example, Blackovar makes it.)
  • Book is ten times better than the movie (and the animated shows that followed it).
  • I read the book for school a few years ago. Can't say I remember much of it, tho. I should probably re-read it.
  • I couldn't get through it when I was a kid. It was just too hard. However, my other friend managed it (and she hates reading, wtf?) and loved it.

I will be tackling it again. :3 Now that I have ATTENTION SPAN.